Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:47 am 
Top of the pops

I don't find this hard to believe - have you ever been behind locals in a buffet queue?!!

http://in-cyprus.com/cypriots-rank-thir ... in-the-eu/

:sunny

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:00 am 
Rock Star

Wow, not surprised but is all Cypriots' I do not think so, I bet most of it is from tourists, I have seen some picky eaters when they go out to a restaurant for a meal, they just leave vast amounts of food on their plates.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:30 am 
Its not only locals, we go to a restaurant that does a Sunday roast Buffet ..95% are Expats, if you saw haw high the plates are loaded you wouldnt believe it....the strangest sight is there are little old frail ladies, who would normally have half a piece of toast at home, pile the plates up, and then leave most of it to be thrown away.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:56 am 
Major

In Malaysia and Singapore, there are a number of 'All You Can Eat' buffet style restaurants at a set price BUT anything you leave on your plate is weighed and you are charged extra for such waste.

A good system to beat needless greed and the resultant waste IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:40 am 
Top of the pops

We attended a Buffet lunch in the Athena Beach Hotel a few weeks ago. Nearly all ex pats. The majority piled there plates as high as they could. We could not believe it. However that was not what made us a little bit miffed, it was that they just left it all and only picked a few morsels off the plate. Why do they do it?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:43 am 
shania wrote:
We attended a Buffet lunch in the Athena Beach Hotel a few weeks ago. Nearly all ex pats. The majority piled there plates as high as they could. We could not believe it. However that was not what made us a little bit miffed, it was that they just left it all and only picked a few morsels off the plate. Why do they do it?

Greed :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:45 am 
David G wrote:
In Malaysia and Singapore, there are a number of 'All You Can Eat' buffet style restaurants at a set price BUT anything you leave on your plate is weighed and you are charged extra for such waste.

A good system to beat needless greed and the resultant waste IMHO.

When in London we go to a Chinese restaurant in Soho, great food, eat as much as like but what ever you leave on the plate, you are charged for, hence people are more sensible. no waste.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:55 am 
Regular

I never go to buffets- greed is a horrible trait and watching people shuffle so much food down their throat that they actually spoil the dining experience for themselves kills my appetite stone dead

A distant relative of mine went for Xmas dinner at a top hotel where much of what was on offer was help yourself. My sister asked afterwards how his dinner had been.

"Terrible " he replied

My sister was bit shocked because the hotel was one of the very top establishments in the area.

"What was wrong with it? " she asked

" I ate so much I was sick " was his reply :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:05 pm 
Major

I've read some people's restaurant recommendations on TripAdvisor which have focussed on portion size as the main 'like' rather than the quality of the food. There are many restaurants catering mainly for tourists which play on this factor and think that as long as you have loads of chips on your plate, you'll be satisfied with their offerings.

Unfortunately, for many people, they appear to have nailed it!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:36 pm 
Top of the pops

How does society deal with growing levels of ultimately life threatening levels of obesity when some people are happiest when presented with vast portions of food and then eat until they are unwell?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:28 pm 
If any of you have been to the states, especially their Buffets you will see they are the world Champions where food intake is concerned, we are amateurs compared to the Yanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:44 pm 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:
If any of you have been to the states, especially their Buffets you will see they are the world Champions where food intake is concerned, we are amateurs compared to the Yanks.

On business trips to USA, my father-in-law always asked for a 'doggie-bag' when dining. He took the excess for one of his employee's pet rottweiler.
I recently dined out with family, when one member ordered a 36oz. rare steak. Amazed, I asked how he would devour that .... only to be told that, a fortnight before, he had eaten the 48oz. version from the menu !

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:25 pm 
Idol

We used to go to an all you can eat buffet when we were on our Liverpool stopovers on our visits from Cyprus to UK.

The difference with that one was you could go back to the buffet bar as many times as you liked so nobody had to pile their plates high with food they weren't going to eat.... all they did was put a stipulation that the maximum time your table could be kept for was 2 hours, which was plenty enough time to be able to eat a meal in without feeling you were "against the clock".

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body