The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:53 pm 
Rock Star

Fylde Filly wrote:
We have a working men's club in the village and a lot of our turns sing with backing music but they are generally decent singers. It is good when we get one or even more than one who can play a guitar and keyboards as well as sing.... Unfortunately, those two things don't always go together! :crylaughin

The agents ruined the UK WMC entertainment scene by bumping up the fees so the clubs could no longer afford a band so it was down to duos backed by resident musicians, the agents then bumped up the price of duos so the resident musicians had to go hence the introduction of backing tracks. It is very sad to see many, many once busy WMCs closed down, let us hope the same regarding some bars doesn't happen in Paphos.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:22 pm 
Top of the pops

Hudswell wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:
Despite one or two totally ridiculous derogatory remarks on here re karaoke, it is meant as a fun thing, and having said that there are some excellent singers about. If you don't like karaoke, then go to one of the many places that don't have it, instead of mocking those who merely want to enjoy themselves. My goodness, there are some killjoys around, including one on this site. Don't like it, then go and "enjoy" yourself somewhere else!!! :doh :-(

WD, are you for real? You did note my wink face after my "derogatory" comment? Please do us all a favour and get a life rather than stalking forums.....

Hello Hudswell. I apologise, as I didn't notice the icon after your comment. I also accept your apology in advance, as I don't
do "stalking", but instead, like yourself, make comments on various forums. ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:10 pm 
Top of the pops

Bassman63 wrote:
Some years ago I played at a venue, the police called each week, on the same night, took a little backhander, then left.

How little??
(sounds like a nice little earner). :lol:
Geoff
(Don't send love, send money) ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:45 pm 
Rock Star

;) Apology accepted and of course reciprocated

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:21 pm 
Forum Admin

geoffreys wrote:
Bassman63 wrote:
Some years ago I played at a venue, the police called each week, on the same night, took a little backhander, then left.

How little??
(sounds like a nice little earner). :lol:
Geoff
(Don't send love, send money) ;)

Hi Geoff :greetings

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:18 pm 
Forum Admin

I see we got a write up in the sunday mail ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:24 pm 
Top of the pops

Is there a link?....

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:34 pm 
Forum Admin

only in the printed edition ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:02 pm 

There is an on line article

http://cyprus-mail.com/2017/05/21/bars-jeopardy-live-music-ban-paphos/

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:42 pm 
Idol

Sounds like they're just making it up as they go along..... but something or someone has put a flea in their ear for one reason or another.

Last edited by Fylde Filly on Sun May 21, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:14 pm 
Rock Star

Having read the article and reading between the lines, some bar owners have only themselves to blame,it is the decent owners like Neil who will suffer.
Some owners have been playing loud music well into the night, at 3 am good people are trying to sleep and noise carries further in the night, residents and tourists have got fed up with not getting a good nights sleep hence this crackdown.
Bar street is well known for certain bars trying out do each other, the decibel levels are really off the scale, it does hurt the ears, they will now reap what they have sown, again the minority spoiling it for the likes of Neil who abides by the regulations.
Neil we sympathise with you and wish you luck, there is not much you can do about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:11 pm 
Rock Star

I played several bars in 2008, the only bar visited by the police on a weekly Basis was 'The House Of Blues'.
I did hear that there was a general attempt to quieten things down a year or two later.
I may have posted this previously that some people thought that in reality it was due to hotel owners who were trying to keep guests in the hotels at night instead of going down town for the night life.
Money talks.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:33 pm 
Top of the pops

shania wrote:
Polemi Dave wrote:
Neil you might find your takings go up not down. There are many people of all ages who don't want an ear blasting every evening out. These people just avoid noisy locations and take their money elsewhere.

What a very sensible thought. :grin: I must say I concur.

I concur also. Used to travel miles into the villages to try and find some ambiance where you could enjoy a drink and a conversation and maybe a little quiet Greek background music.The down side was that Ray could only have 1 drink as I can't see to drive at night.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:04 pm 
Rock Star

beverley wrote:
shania wrote:
Polemi Dave wrote:
Neil you might find your takings go up not down. There are many people of all ages who don't want an ear blasting every evening out. These people just avoid noisy locations and take their money elsewhere.

What a very sensible thought. :grin: I must say I concur.

concur also. Used to travel miles into the villages to try and find some ambiance where you could enjoy a drink and a conversation and maybe a little quiet Greek background music.The down side was that Ray could only have 1 drink as I can't see to drive at night.

There are many, many places in and around Paphos that are free of music venues.
If music venues are so bad for the community how come they were so well supported.
We've tried various holiday destinations and quite frankly Nashville Tennessee and Paphos were the two destinations that filled our requirements for good nightlife entertainment.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:19 am 
Idol

LOL.... Only those 2 places John?

I really think you need to get out more!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:30 am 
Rock Star

Fylde Filly wrote:
LOL.... Only those 2 places John?

I really think you need to get out more!

Well we did pop over to 'Memphis' as well

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:11 pm 
Idol

Oh dear John, I think you dropped another name there........ did you manage to meet any rock and roll stars too? :roll:

Strangely enough, we found we never really had to travel far and wide to get excellent music and entertainment. It was all pretty much on our doorstep, give or take 10 to 60 miles at most.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:19 pm 
Rock Star

Fylde Filly wrote:
Oh dear John, I think you dropped another name there........ did you manage to meet any rock and roll stars too? :roll:

Er Taylor Swift's management sent a gift pack from the States as a raffle prize (Taylor's manager is 'Robert Allan' brother of Rick Allan Def Leppard) at my 70th birthday bash when I used the money raised for a donation to a local hospice where their dad Geoff Allan was cared for. Geoff was a dear friend and a well loved figure on our local music scene.

Last edited by Bassman63 on Wed May 24, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:24 pm 
Rock Star

Fylde Filly wrote:

On our way back from Memphis we stayed at a Motel in Jackson where Carl Perkins (wrote Blue Suede Shoes) hailed from. we went for a meal in a restaurant (Blue Suedes), it turned out to be owned by Carl's daughter and her husband and guess what her married surname is the same as ours Swift.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:29 pm 
Top of the pops

And to think I once went to Peyia and met nobody I knew, nobody famous and ate a sloppy kebab with a carry out coffee in the football stadium parking. (Damn I named the place)

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:01 pm 
Rock Star

Fylde Filly wrote:

My one ambition when younger was to meet other than Buddy Holly the remaining members of 'The Crickets' Joe B Mauldin (Bassist) Jerry Allison (Drummer who married the real 'Peggy Sue') and Sonny Curtis (Wrote 'Walk Right Back' 'More than I can say' etc) and yes I did meet them.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:03 pm 
Rock Star

Fylde Filly wrote:

Joe Cocker worked with our 60s singer, last time a spoke to Joe was in 1964 we were Discussing £8 a night gigs.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:05 pm 
Rock Star

tanny wrote:
And to think I once went to Peyia and met nobody I knew, nobody famous and ate a sloppy kebab with a carry out coffee in the football stadium parking. (Damn I named the place)

Yes I would understand why.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:34 pm 
Top of the pops

I thought I would have burger and some chips. Hey ho.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:20 pm 
Rock Star

shania wrote:

In 1964 Val & I were at the refreshment bar (they only sold crisps and peanuts and pop) in Pete Stringfellow's (We gigged for Stringfellow regularly) 'King Mojo Club' chatting to Long John Baldry who was taking a break. his fill in singer was a young guy called 'Rod The Mod' AKA 'Rod Stewart'.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:01 pm 
Top of the pops

Bassman63 wrote:
shania wrote:

In 1964 Val & I were at the refreshment bar (they only sold crisps and peanuts and pop) in Pete Stringfellow's (We gigged for Stringfellow regularly) 'King Mojo Club' chatting to Long John Baldry who was taking a break. his fill in singer was a young guy called 'Rod The Mod' AKA 'Rod Stewart'.

John, wasn't Long John Baldry, Rod Stewarts manager whilst he was alive, and wasn't it both of them who discovered Amie Bell, who unfortunately never made it to the big time?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:21 pm 
Rock Star

Wavy Dave wrote:
Bassman63 wrote:
shania wrote:

John, wasn't Long John Baldry, Rod Stewarts manager whilst he was alive, and wasn't it both of them who discovered Amie Bell, who unfortunately never made it to the big time?

Hi Dave not sure if he managed him but he did give help and encouragement to Rod and let him get up with his band 'The Hoochie Coochie Men' at his gigs. Not familiar with Amie Bell.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body