The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Charm of Cyprus
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:49 pm 
Idol

The property developer that I used to work for in Cyprus always sent out reports and photos to the buyer at each stage during the build process. Usually that would also coincide with due payments, of course ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:21 pm 
Rock Star

COYS wrote:
Bassman63 wrote:
COYS wrote:
How do I know how your owner built his house, for all I know he might of build it himself? with out any knowledge on building.... If your stuck in the UK and your building in Cyprus then You employ a reputable civil engineer/architect firm to look after your interests...everyone who buys property here or any where else,should take some responsibility and stop blaming every one else.. I took responsibility when I build my House , I employed experts to over see things, had I not done that and was given a pile of ..... then its my fault no one else's.

The responsibility is with the architect/civil engineer/clerk of works/the builder not the customer.
A local builder built the house we rented, sadly the buyer wasn't there, she was in Ireland when the leaking drains were fitted or the unseasoned wood that was used for the doors, windows and frames or the paid for telephone feed.
How careless of her after all any reasonable person would have hired a camper van and lived on site to see that the work that she was paying for was carried out./ I don't know, some people do expect a lot for their money.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:40 am 
Top of the pops

Baseman, you are being deliberately obtuse. It has been clearly stated here now on several occasions that if you are going to be absent then you employ the relevant person to oversee your absence.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:58 am 
Rock Star

tanny wrote:
Baseman, you are being deliberately obtuse. It has been clearly stated here now on several occasions that if you are going to be absent then you employ the relevant person to oversee your absence.

Not so, it is up to your solicitor unless he or she is the one recommended by the developer or estate agent who is the relevant person to see to these things, that is what you employ them for otherwise why use them. oh I forgot these are the people you pay to hand over your money and then they complete without obtaining the 'Title Deeds', silly me.
You won't change my views on these incompetent corrupt practises that have gone on for far too long.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:19 pm 
My solicitor saw that everything went through legally, ie the purchase of the land,access etc...why would he oversee the building of my house, your not making any sense.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:09 pm 
Star

Bassman must be more experienced in these matters.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:36 pm 
Rock Star

COYS wrote:
My solicitor saw that everything went through legally, ie the purchase of the land,access etc...why would he oversee the building of my house, your not making any sense.

If the house didn't comply with building regulations/architects specifications then I can understand why there have been so many building problems that according to you here are all the fault of the customers.
I'm sure the thousands who have encountered problems will like to meet you and have you tell them, that it is all their own fault.
Yes I must save these replies.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:37 pm 
Rock Star

COYS wrote:

What is etc, was he recommended by the developer or estate agent?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:38 pm 
Rock Star

COYS wrote:

Wow weren't you lucky, unlike the majority whose solicitor failed to secure the title deeds.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:41 pm 
Rock Star

COYS wrote:

Your solicitor should not complete without appropriate certification that all work is completed to specification. Or is that expecting too much?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:42 pm 
Rock Star

Uncle D wrote:
Bassman must be more experienced in these matters.

I'm not as gullible as some seem to be.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:16 pm 
Mate..talk to yourself...im done ...cheers :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:13 pm 
Top of the pops

Bassman, your showing yourself up to be a buffoon of the highest order. You keep bringing on the old record of your dreadful rental yada yada yada. By some of your remarks you clearly show you know very little but rely on tittle tattle for education.

Maybe one of the charms of Cyprus is the quaint way a small village such as Polemi can have a small field of tulips and create a great wee festival from it bringing the community together and attracting visitors. Were soon coming into the season of village festivals, lets enjoy them.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:29 pm 
Junior

Why single Cyprus out....investing in anything is a risk

Caveat emptor, applies to it all

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:31 am 
Graduate

Is somebody back on the Friday lunchtime bottle again? :pint

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:13 am 
Regular

The blame game is of course the latest accompaniment to the victim culture in the compensation stakes

Who do we blame for the Cypriot property fiasco?

1-the Cyprus government for allowing archaic property laws to operate in the 20th/21st Century
2- the EU for allowing a state with such archaic laws into the club
3- the British banks for doling out the deposits for Cypriot property purchase by allowing homeowners to re-mortgage their properties and release the equity
4- the Cypriot banks for lending out all the stupid amounts of dodgy money flooding into them with EU accession and making mortgages seemingly even more affordable by flogging Swiss Franc mortgages
5- the developers who told all sorts of lies to convince people buying in Cyprus was no different from buying in the UK
6- the UK TV programmes who kept on insisting that everyone’s property would be worth double what they paid for it by the time it was finished
7- the British government for creating the property bubble that led to the Cypriot bubble
8- the people in the UK who jumped on the bandwagon simply to buy property to make money rather than buy a permanent home
9- the people in Cyprus who were quite happy to take the money as they jumped on the bandwagon themselves.

Lots to ponder of course, but we can be sure of one thing- anyone who rented a house that was falling to bits has no one to blame but themselves and that sort of thing happens everywhere else in the world, not just Cyprus

Last edited by Ilex on Sat May 13, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:21 am 
Idol

Surely, if you rent a property which turns out to be a pig in a poke, you just move elsewhere!

Many of our friends and most certainly my colleagues changed rentals on a very regular basis during our 12 years in Cyprus. We were lucky, we had a great rental and a fabulous landlord and stayed in the same property from 2004 until we left in April 2016. The bungalow would be around 30 to 40 years old at that time.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:26 pm 
Rock Star

Fylde Filly wrote:
Surely, if you rent a property which turns out to be a pig in a poke, you just move elsewhere!

Many of our friends and most certainly my colleagues changed rentals on a very regular basis during our 12 years in Cyprus. We were lucky, we had a great rental and a fabulous landlord and stayed in the same property from 2004 until we left in April 2016. The bungalow would be around 30 to 40 years old at that time.

The bungalow that we rented in 1966 is still there as is the Dowery house that the owners were building for their daughter.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:31 pm 
Rock Star

Ilex wrote:
Lots to ponder of course, but we can be sure of one thing- anyone who rented a house that was falling to bits has no one to blame but themselves and that sort of thing happens everywhere else in the world, not just Cyprus

The house we rented had been recently decorated to cover the flaws with the internal drainage, on the face of it the property looked ok including telephone sockets in several rooms, we were assured that phone service and internet to the property had existed, then we found that there had never been an external feed to the property.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:33 pm 
Rock Star

tanny wrote:
Bassman, your showing yourself up to be a buffoon of the highest order. You keep bringing on the old record of your dreadful rental yada yada yada. By some of your remarks you clearly show you know very little but rely on tittle tattle for education.

Maybe one of the charms of Cyprus is the quaint way a small village such as Polemi can have a small field of tulips and create a great wee festival from it bringing the community together and attracting visitors. Were soon coming into the season of village festivals, lets enjoy them.

Are you still involved in the property market?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:22 pm 
Idol

Bassman63 wrote:
The house we rented had been recently decorated to cover the flaws with the internal drainage, on the face of it the property looked ok including telephone sockets in several rooms, we were assured that phone service and internet to the property had existed, then we found that there had never been an external feed to the property.

But what has any of that got to do with the build of the property and whether anyone was overseeing it during that time? I'm completely lost with the arguments here..... and are you referring and comparing todays properties to a property you rented in 1966?

If so, I don't see how you can compare your rental against the way developing is handled and how things have changed since joining the EU and the years leading up to it. Or have you also had a property built off-plan and have some other insights more relevant?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:45 pm 
Regular

There all sorts of of dodgy landlords leasing all sorts of substandard property all over the world (and even the UK is no exception). If you can be fooled by a lick of paint and if you think a telephone "socket" in a room means you have a phone connection in Cyprus then more fool you. In Cyprus electrical sockets don't mean you have mains electricity and taps over a sink don't even mean you have mains water - that is part of the charm and that is the way the country actually is ;)

The phrase caveat emptor is the diplomatic way of putting it but I suspect that WC Fields hit the nail on the head a bit better when he said "Never give a sucker an even break"

When I bought here I was not expecting UK building standards, UK insulation standards, UK legal standards, UK consumer protection standards etc and why should I ?- it's a foreign country FFS and not a nanny state (which is precisely why I love it here)

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:34 am 
Rock Star

Fylde Filly wrote:
Bassman63 wrote:
But what has any of that got to do with the build of the property and whether anyone was overseeing it during that time? I'm completely lost with the arguments here..... and are you referring and comparing todays properties to a property you rented in 1966?

It was in reply to Fylde Filly about renting a property that was falling to bits.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:37 am 
Rock Star

Fylde Filly wrote:

We did move, the property had been done up ie decorating and a new door panel fitted but the flaws soon came through.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:46 am 
Regular

The EU accession that led to the last bout of property madness still continues to blight the charm of Cyprus

The latest bandwagon scheme involves flogging EU passports to anyone with sufficient funds to buy one. Granted needs must when the devil drives, but surely this isn't really the sort of development that is going to best serves Cyprus or Europe in the future, although it is of course very lucrative practice for an economy up to it's eyeballs in debt

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/eu- ... li=BBAu9V4

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:39 am 
Star

I have inumerial health problems dealt with admirably by an army of medical professionals in the UK that I can only compare to wonderful caring people....I consider myself lucky to have all this support help care and medicine at my hand all for free.....it's overwhelming. :heart

At the top of this pile of wonderful people is the ultimate top consultant, he's as it happens cypriot and gained all his qualifications in the UK....we chatted briefly about Cyprus, a country he doesn't have time to visit as often as he would like, but everyone comes to him instead....he's from Nicosia, his three children are all in uk studying of course, but may welll branch out around the world....looking for their niche. He has relatives around the world.

He faults the NHS with putting to many patients into a service of shortage of staff, but without its immigrant staff would be much worse....be believes succcessive govts have underfunded it and we are paying the price.....he helps promote MIU, Walk in units, small injuries etc, within small town hospitals ( we have one close by, plus a rehabilitation unit for those recovering from hips and knee ops etc....)

If the story had ever been true about the £350 million a day being taken from the eu to be given to the NHS we'd be soon in a fitter state :doh

Yet it didn't stop him swinging into action to look after me to do his job, to care for his patient....or to even organise future care I need, or even phone my GP from his obviously busy desk to make sure something was provided immediately for when I arrived home or indeed organise a stay in his hospital if I felt I needed it....which I didn't....living rurally by choice as we do means certain depts are a 1-2 hour drive away....but I wouldn't sacrifice rurall living to be closer to hospital...

My point is The charm of Cyprus came thru him, IMO he doesn't get back often and doubt people in his position would be able to return to Cyprus unless maybe to retire..he looked at me, he questioned me he chatted he cared he listened then he acted. He was my god for the day....not withholding the team beneath him in anyway.

This guy alongside many I met that particular day ( bit of an emergency ) show where you descend from matters as much as who you are and how you are with others...

I was lucky and scored with all of them, I'm meeting my genius again next week and know I'm in good hands....I'm trying to flog him my house but he's not interesested.... :crylaughin :crylaughin

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:21 pm 
Top of the pops

Lynsab, you have made my day, :congrats by at last posting on here again. Hope to see more of your so sensible postings on here soon, after an abscence of several months. Hope your health is much better now, as, let's face it, without that we are all nothing. :celeb2 :greetings

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:27 pm 
Star

:agree :bearhug

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:27 pm 
Rock Star

Know exactly what you mean Lynsab, our daughters local Chippy in Sheffield is owned and run by a Cypriot family from Limassol, I have a Fishcake Butty when we go there.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:49 am 
Rock Star

Wavy Dave wrote:
Lynsab, you have made my day, :congrats by at last posting on here again. Hope to see more of your so sensible postings on here soon, after an abscence of several months. Hope your health is much better now, as, let's face it, without that we are all nothing. :celeb2 :greetings

I'll second that Dave.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:55 pm 
Rock Star

Bought this fender bass in Limassol in 1966 (I'm on the left), UK price £175, Cyprus price £107, sold it 12 years ago £3,500, would get upwards of £9,000 today.
We could bring them back to the UK as tools of trade as long as we kept them for 2 years then we could sell.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:03 pm 
Rock Star

Met up with 3 old army friends and their Ladies this week when we visited our regimental museum, we reminisced about our time when posted to Cyprus in 1965/8, we all have very fond memories of the posting.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body