The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:36 am 
Rock Star

From the Daily Mail.

The European Court of Justice has ruled that 'fully loaded' Kodi boxes, which include plugins that can access pirated material, are illegal to sell and own.

Temporary files, like those created when media content is streamed, are technically exempt under copyright law.

People selling 'fully loaded' Kodi boxes exploited this legal loophole to provide illegal content.

But the court, which is the highest in the EU, found against a Dutch vendor, identified in court papers as Mr Willums, who sold fully loaded boxes over the internet.

And although the court recognised the equipment itself was not illegal, the way he had customised them was.

The new ruling, issued yesterday, puts pirated streams on the same legal footing as illegal downloads.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4452728/European-court-rules-fully-loaded-Kodi-boxes-illegal.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:59 am 
Star

Making them illegal to sell may be a bit of a problem for consumers, though I am not sure how they can stop you buying online from non EU countries, I doubt they will be able to police actually owning a Kodi device.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:57 am 
Only fully loaded box.s are illegal....no problem buy a legal un loaded box, then go on You Tube and see how to put the addons yourself/ get a friend to do it/ pay someone to do it for you....this is something they will never stop.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:54 pm 
Rock Star

Uncle D wrote:
Making them illegal to sell may be a bit of a problem for consumers, though I am not sure how they can stop you buying online from non EU countries, I doubt they will be able to police actually owning a Kodi device.

Depends how keen the copyright holders are to clamp down. It does say that owning a fully loaded box is illegal. ISPs can tell very easily who is streaming and from where, so it won't be too difficult to catch individuals.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:16 pm 
The genie is well and truly out of the bottle, will they prosecute millions and millions of people, nah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:30 pm 
Rock Star

No, you are correct that "they" are unlikely to prosecute huge numbers of people.

My guess is that they will start by shutting down the supply of boxes, followed by continuing to target the streams. Beyond that they only need to make an example of a few Kodi users to set the cat among the pigeons. If they succeed in getting help from ISPs then the writing could well be on the wall. Maybe not any time soon, but I suspect the days of free streams are on their way to ending.

If companies like Sky and Virgin can renegotiate their broadcast contracts to allow them to broadcast over the internet outside their current areas then we can all carry on as normal, albeit at a cost.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:48 pm 
Mate Kodi boxes are legal, they cant stop them being made....they cant do anything about it, and as most are made in China good luck with that one....the only thing it will do is stop Sky /Bt paying billions for football coverage as the boxes will affect their revenue...no problem, players like Rooney on 300,000 a week will have to settle for a few grand a week...not a bad thing in my book.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:55 pm 
Rock Star

Do you normally call ladies "mate", lol?

The box becones illegal when it becomes fully loaded. The story also seems to suggest that the streams themselves will be targeted.

Let's hope not though as it will affect most of us!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:05 pm 
Effsie wrote:
Do you normally call ladies "mate", lol?

The box becones illegal when it becomes fully loaded. The story also seems to suggest that the streams themselves will be targeted.

Let's hope not though as it will affect most of us!

Sorry Effsie, just being friendly, I wrongly assumed you were a chap :oops: ..the best thing they can do is stop paying ridiculous money for football coverage and bring their prices down...so people arnt tempted to go the Android box route, but while theres people out there able to break their codes, streaming will always be with us....If they had any sense Sky etc would leave it because the more they publicize it, the more people will try the boxes. PS there are alot of Kodi forums out there were you will get a better understanding on whats really going on regards this issue.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:04 pm 
Top of the pops

This is Cyprus. Anything goes here!!! :smilielol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:40 pm 
Top of the pops

Kodi boxes are just tablets/mobile phones without screens running software that will run on a wide variety of devices, including the aforesaid tablets and phones. What next - banning mobile phones? Tablets? PCs? etc?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:29 pm 
Rock Star

The story is not about banning Kodi or IPTV boxes, it is about the illegal provision of copywritten material via streaming....which was illegal to transmit but not receive...this ruling makes it illegal to receive via streaming copywritten material and is primarily aimed at those that illegally re-stream and receive subscription based channels such as SKY. The plus side is that it may drive regulations to allow the likes of sky to legally broadcast outside of the U.K./Eire and be able to receive payment directly from the legal subscriber.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:05 pm 
Rock Star

From today's Daily Mail.

This is a quote from the story, and not necessarily my opinion so please try not to shoot the messenger! Obviously this is a UK law not an U or Cypriot one.

"Thousands of people using Kodi boxes to stream illegal content in the UK could face up to 10 years in prison, thanks to a controversial new law.

The Digital Economy Bill warns that people making and streaming films using torrents online will be committing a criminal offence.

The news comes shortly after Amazon banned 'fully-loaded' Kodi TV boxes and other pirate devices from its global online store."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4469678/Kodi-users-face-10-YEARS-prison.html

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:05 pm 
Major

The Digital Economy Bill warns that people making and streaming films using torrents online will be committing a criminal offence.

For those downloading or streaming content, charges are unlikely to be pressed.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:36 pm 
Rock Star

I do believe that these laws will however drive change in existing broadcasting regulations and allow legitimate providers to deliver their services to a wider audience than they are legally allowed to at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:00 pm 
Ten years in prison....humor at its best :banana

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:11 am 
Top of the pops

After a difficult experience with a pre-loaded box from China when I had to clear out all the apps because they did not work - and start again.

So 2 weeks ago I ordered a Kodi box running 15.1 from Amazon UK. I expected it blank and was going to do a clean install of Kodi 17.1 Krypton. It came via an Amazon affiliate fully loaded with all manner of outdated Apps and Repos not advertised. I complained and am told they will not be pre loading any more. Yea course not "was a mistake mate" they said. :roll:

So I had to clean the box and start again.

This would have been easier if Ablink had worked (getting technical here) do any Geeks out there, know why Ablink connects to firesticks easily but refuses to connect to many Android boxes?

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body