Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:28 pm 
Star

Just returned home from my local ( where else ) and promised my drinking compatriots that I would post on here a question as to what the ex pat population of the Paphos area was.
It ranged in the bar from 10,000 to 40,000 legally,and extra for those here who don't exist.
Of course as the liquid refreshments flowed then the numbers got more fanciable.
Anyone any idea as to the true numbers legal and otherwise......hic,,i think i,ll raid the fridge for another,,,,hic,, :pint

Oh,,i forgot to add...I walked home :greetings

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:35 pm 
Forum Admin

the number 20,000 was what I heard (not confirmed )

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:42 pm 

It's 18 months ago ( Dec 2015 ) but the article mentions 24,000 Britons on the island. http://cyprus-mail.com/2015/12/20/cypru ... across-eu/
I couldn't find more recent Eurostat numbers
Ian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:28 pm 
Ian wrote:
It's 18 months ago ( Dec 2015 ) but the article mentions 24,000 Britons on the island. http://cyprus-mail.com/2015/12/20/cypru ... across-eu/
I couldn't find more recent Eurostat numbers
Ian

That number would include English Cypriots who are British pass port holders;

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:11 pm 
Major

As at the last Cyprus Census (2011), there were 26,659 British Expats living in the Republic of Cyprus - the second largest ethnic group. Greek Expats make the largest group (31,044) and Romanians are in third place (24,376).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:09 am 
Top of the pops

So how many in Paphos? If 26,000 Cypriot Side?

10,000 scattered across Paphos????

Interesting question

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:23 am 
Not gospel. but in my view more have left then arrived in recent years, and I know quite a few that would leave if only they could find buyers for their properties.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:53 am 
Top of the pops

migmogs wrote:
So how many in Paphos? If 26,000 Cypriot Side?

10,000 scattered across Paphos????

Interesting question

I would have thought that there are far more than that in the Paphos Region, due to the possibly higher age of many expats, so that Pahos might suit them more than say the other side of the island, or even Limassol or Larnaca.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:54 am 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:
Not gospel. but in my view more have left then arrived in recent years, and I know quite a few that would leave if only they could find buyers for their properties.

No way. In the course of my work, there are still many more coming out here, and what has surprised me, is that many of those coming here now are not of retirement age.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:19 am 
Wavy Dave wrote:
COYS wrote:

No way. In the course of my work, there are still many more coming out here, and what has surprised me, is that many of those coming here now are not of retirement age.

We will have to agree to disagree on this...I have a close friend who has a Estate agents office, and according to him, their books are full of Expats waiting to sell and move back.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:34 pm 
Forum Admin

COYS wrote:

last time I was chatting with Peter Morton , he was telling me , that its about 50-50 coming and going
according to his containers ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:47 pm 
Neil wrote:
COYS wrote:

last time I was chatting with Peter Morton , he was telling me , that its about 50-50 coming and going

Neil, I should mention, Im talking East side of Island.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:15 pm 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:
Neil wrote:
COYS wrote:

Neil, I should mention, Im talking East side of Island.

This where it would be useful to put your location! I am talking the west side of the island, and I did state Paphos region. Yet another case where M.A.D is correct when he asks people to put their location.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:08 am 
Regular

And how many "illegals" are there?

Are you an expat if you have a "holiday home"?

Are you an expat if you are "doing a bit of bar work" for the summer period?

I would think that you could double the official number.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:38 pm 
Forum Admin

artlin wrote:
And how many "illegals" are there?

Are you an expat if you have a "holiday home"?

Are you an expat if you are "doing a bit of bar work" for the summer period?

I would think that you could double the official number.

you are right ,, there are plenty fly-by-nights , who are living here under the radar.

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:29 pm 
I think when Brexit approaches, and every expat will have to register the true figure will be known.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:59 pm 
Top of the pops

The problem will still remain though. There are many expats who have been here for years, and don't register, so they will continue to ignore whatever legislation is put in force then.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:09 pm 
Wavy Dave wrote:
The problem will still remain though. There are many expats who have been here for years, and don't register, so they will continue to ignore whatever legislation is put in force then.

I think you will find the Police are far stricter on non EU nationals on over staying here, After Brexit things will be more stricter for Brits in regard to overstaying

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:52 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
I think you will find the Police are far stricter on non EU nationals on over staying here, After Brexit things will be more stricter for Brits in regard to overstaying

I don't think they are about to disturb the 'Golden Goose' on a legal technicality, especially as they are used to turning a blind eye with the Russians & eastern block expats about far greater issues.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:19 am 
Topgun wrote:
Quote:

I don't think they are about to disturb the 'Golden Goose' on a legal technicality, especially as they are used to turning a blind eye with the Russians & eastern block expats about far greater issues.

What Golden goose what this be.....people working and not being registered, paying no Tax/vat etc residents illegally using the EU health card for Hospital treatment? no after Brexit, Brits will be under stricter scrutiny as are non EU people now.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body