The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UK General Election
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:05 pm 
Top of the pops

Is TM poised to announce a snap ejection on Jun 8???

Yes, just announced!

Last edited by George on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:16 pm 
Rock Star

On BBC news now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:20 pm 
Rock Star

From Daily Mail

"Theresa May has announced a snap general election from the steps of No 10 after meeting her Cabinet this morning. Mrs May said Britain needed strong leadership and insisted an early poll was the 'right approach' and in the 'national interest'. The Premier made the announcement immediately after a long Cabinet meeting with her top team."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:25 pm 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
From Daily Mail

"Theresa May has announced a snap general election from the steps of No 10 after meeting her Cabinet this morning. Mrs May said Britain needed strong leadership and insisted an early poll was the 'right approach' and in the 'national interest'. The Premier made the announcement immediately after a long Cabinet meeting with her top team."

Needs a two-third majority vote in Parliament vote tomorrow for a GE on June 8th.
I hope those Expats, who are concerned, have remembered to re-register.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:26 pm 
Rock Star

From BBC News site.

"UK Prime Minister Theresa May has announced plans to call snap general election on 8 June.

She said Britain needed certainty, stability and strong leadership following the EU referendum.

Explaining the decision, Mrs May said: "The country is coming together but Westminster is not."

There will be a Commons vote on the proposed election on Wednesday - she will need Parliament's backing to hold a vote before 2020.

Explaining her change of heart on an early election, Mrs May said: "I have concluded the only way to guarantee certainty and security for years ahead is to hold this election."

Mrs May accused the other political parties of "game playing", adding that this risks "our ability to make a success of Brexit and it will cause damaging uncertainty and instability to the country".

"So we need a general election and we need one now. We have at this moment a one off chance to get this done.""

Post subject: Re: TM announcement
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:34 pm 
Top of the pops

Excellent decision by her I believe. Her timing is superb, as is the speed!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:35 pm 
Rock Star

So, how many forum members still have a UK vote? I know I had a letter a few weeks ago asking me to re-register, so I guess I need to get on and do it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:43 pm 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
So, how many forum members still have a UK vote? I know I had a letter a few weeks ago asking me to re-register, so I guess I need to get on and do it!

Sorry. Effsie ..... you are too late to re-register, according to the information my local UK council told me, before I re-registered.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:48 pm 
Rock Star

Well, SFD, if nothing else it saves me having to make a decision! :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:49 pm 
Top of the pops

SFD wrote:
Effsie wrote:
From Daily Mail

Needs a two-third majority vote in Parliament vote tomorrow for a GE on June 8th.

Good point SFD, but I only received The Brexit polling paper a few days before the results were announced, so will never know if it got back to Britain in time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:51 pm 
Top of the pops

George wrote:
Excellent decision by her I believe. Her timing is superb, as is the speed!

Agreed. That woman in Scotland will be most dismayed! Haha.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:53 pm 
Top of the pops

Wavy Dave wrote:
SFD wrote:
Effsie wrote:
From Daily Mail

Good point SFD, but I only received The Brexit polling paper a few days before the results were announced, so will never know if it got back to Britain in time.

I had a similar problem at the previous GE ... Voting papers arrived the day before the vote ( darned useless postal service ! ).
So I made sure that I have kept well up-to-date since then.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:04 pm 
Top of the pops

"Agreed. That woman in Scotland will be most dismayed! Haha."

:crylaughin

Shades of Maggie - "there will be no turning back......"

Yet another cracking speech from MT I thought.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:15 pm 
Rock Star

Just had a look at the PDF renewal form that they sent me and I have until yesterday to sign it and send it back!

Looks like it has to be a new application.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:17 pm 
Top of the pops

George wrote:
"Agreed. That woman in Scotland will be most dismayed! Haha."

:crylaughin

Shades of Maggie - "there will be no turning back......"

Yet another cracking speech from MT I thought.

:uk :agree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:20 pm 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
Just had a look at the PDF renewal form that they sent me and I have until yesterday to sign it and send it back!

That will be for future voting then.
But not, unfortunately for you, for this proposed GE.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:23 pm 
Top of the pops

Sorry, my post should have said

"Yet another cracking speech from TM I thought."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:28 pm 
Top of the pops

George wrote:
Sorry, my post should have said

"Yet another cracking speech from TM I thought."

No problem, George .... sometimes excitement precedes our typing fingers. I think we understood. :bearhug

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:36 pm 
Rock Star

Flip flop May. Let's hope it rebounds on her.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:46 pm 
She will walk it with a big majority, looking forward to putting a few euros on it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:46 pm 
Rock Star

SFD wrote:
Effsie wrote:

Just reapplied. It says too late for 4 May local elections but okay for any after that!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:59 pm 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
SFD wrote:
Effsie wrote:

Just reapplied. It says too late for 4 May local elections but okay for any after that!

You may have a chance then.
Not in May .... but in June for May ?
:greetings

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:01 pm 
Rock Star

Presumably until such time as the government votes in favour, it's not a definite election date.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:05 pm 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
Presumably until such time as the government votes in favour, it's not a definite election date.

We will know that tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:11 pm 
Top of the pops

Given that all the party leaders are in favour, it will go ahead. Whether it's a good thing is something that only time will tell.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:22 pm 
Idol

Why a two-thirds majority for this vote when only a minuscular majority carried the referendum through?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:25 pm 
Rock Star

Just had confirmation that my application to vote has been accepted. Apparently their new system allows you to complete your registration online in around 3 minutes.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:26 pm 
Rock Star

Fylde Filly wrote:
Why a two-thirds majority for this vote when only a minuscular majority carried the referendum through?

Because it is not a referendum.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:26 pm 
Top of the pops

As if the government hasn't enough on it's plate to contend with, they decide on another waste of money on a GE.
No wonder they cannot fund the NHS, schools, police etc etc when they keep throwing good money after bad.
I give up!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:41 pm 
Top of the pops

Fylde Filly wrote:
Because the legislation that fixed the length of the term requires a two thirds majority to end the parliament prematurely (or the government loses a vote of no confidence).
beverley wrote:
As if the government hasn't enough on it's plate to contend with, they decide on another waste of money on a GE.
No wonder they cannot fund the NHS, schools, police etc etc when they keep throwing good money after bad.
I give up!!!
The spending choices of the current government are limited by the manifesto commitments of the last one. A general election is a way to reboot and set new manifesto commitments. The fixed amount of spending of borrowed money on overseas aid, that sees Britain aiding despots, like the fat bloke with the bad haircut, would be a case in point.

I was amused by Corbyn's plans for the economy. He seems to have forgotten that it was a Labour government that bankrupted the country last time they had the keys to Downing Street. No doubt he will be reminded time and again before June 8th.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:45 pm 
Idol

Thanks for the explanation, KG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:51 pm 
Regular

Superb decision by May.

Britain IS leaving the EU- failure to flow through on the decision of the British public to leave would effectively mean we no longer live in a democracy, just a sham version where vested political interests determine what is best for Britain at the expense of those who actually make Britain the wonderful tolerant society it is .

We had a democratic choice and we voted to leave- the best way now to get the best deal for Britain (and retain as many of the good aspects of the EU as possible) is for EVERYONE to get behind that decision, and the vast majority of decent democratically minded people realise that. The behaviour of Juncker with the "divorce" bill and the EU re Gibraltar will only reinforce decent British people's resolve to leave this toxic club at this general election

The number of MP's and self serving bitter individuals looking to derail that process never ceases to amaze me- it's time for the British people to insist their MP's get behind the democratic decision to leave the EU and silence those who treat the whole democratic process with contempt and who would look to promote their own agendas and self interests at the expense of their own country and fellow countrymen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:54 pm 
Top of the pops

Ilex wrote:
Superb decision by May.

Britain IS leaving the EU- failure to flow through on the decision of the British public to leave would effectively mean we no longer live in a democracy, just a sham version where vested political interests determine what is best for Britain at the expense of those who actually make Britain the wonderful tolerant society it is .

We had a democratic choice and we voted to leave- the best way now to get the best deal for Britain (and retain as many of the good aspects of the EU as possible) is for EVERYONE to get behind that decision, and the vast majority of decent democratically minded people realise that. The behaviour of Juncker with he divorce bill and the EU re Gibraltar will only reinforce Britain's resolve to leave this toxic club at a general election

The number of MP's and self serving bitter individuals looking to derail that process never ceases to amaze me- it's time for the British people to insist their MP's get behind the democratic decision to leave the EU and silence those who treat the whole democratic process with contempt, and would look to promote their own agendas and self interests at the expense of their own country and fellow countrymen.

:clap :goodpost

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:01 pm 
Regular

As I pointed out an a previous thread, what credible opposition party could refuse a general election without making themselves look scared of facing their own electorate and voters - way to go TM, it's the proverbial "put up or shut up" :clap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:47 pm 
Rock Star

Glad I'm not a Labour MP with a small majority.

Alan

:uk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:50 pm 
Top of the pops

Ilex - again, :goodpost

Alan - :agree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:54 pm 
Top of the pops

Agree again Ilex, she's played a blinder, and in the best possible position to make such a strategic move!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:21 pm 
Top of the pops

George wrote:
Agree again Ilex, she's played a blinder, and in the best possible position to make such a strategic move!

Let us hope so.I watched her this afternoon and can now understand her reasons for doing this.
"The media" would have us believe that the majority of those who voted for Brexit were illiterate, ill informed, morons, probably northerners who traditionally vote Labour :rain :tickedoff :tickedoff so it will be interesting to see who they now vote for, as our PM seems to be one of the few people in power who is trying to do the democratic thing!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:01 pm 
Forum Admin

TM announcement and snap , topics have bee merged
:greetings
both the same conversation ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:34 pm 
Rock Star

Nothing to do with a number of Tory MP's about to be charged with falsifying election expenses. She was in danger of losing her slim majority.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:05 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
She was in danger of losing her slim majority.

No, just has the bottle to trust the electorate to support her & her party to do the job the majority voted for in the referrendum.
So the Ginger Winger, dim Tim & Peddlebyn should worry, they are not about to fair well from this action.Even the 'living dead' Blair is joining in the fun alongside some resurrected failed liberal old farts!
Hopefully it will shut the remainers up at long last & their foreign advocate GM - though any result that doesn't suit them will not be accepted.
Brace yourself for more tears before bedtime!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:09 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
"The media" would have us believe that the majority of those who voted for Brexit were illiterate, ill informed, morons, probably northerners who traditionally vote Labour

I don't see why they should as they are all London centric, which is a labour stronghold at present isn't it?

Post subject: Re: UK General Election
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:39 am 
Top of the pops

i'm wondering, if a large enough minority disagree with the result, can we have another one?! :smilielol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:42 am 

Tallulah Savage wrote:
i'm wondering, if a large enough minority disagree with the result, can we have another one?! :smilielol

Only if you are in Scotland :lol:

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:13 pm 
Top of the pops

M.A.D wrote:
Tallulah Savage wrote:

Only if you are in Scotland :lol:

And the Scots can pay for it. :smilielol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:19 pm 
Regular

I remember Sturgeon saying May was not an elected PM and as such did not have a Brexit mandate :lol: - that's about to change very quickly

If only Sturgeon would give the Scots the same option to see how her "mandate" for independence stands :roll: - but there is absolutely no chance of that happening , is there :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:48 pm 
Top of the pops

Vote for election :-
Yes 522
No 13
General Election on June 8th !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:58 pm 
Regular

The Tories have such an easy mansifesto to present and such a lack of credible opposition that it should be a rout - if UKIP decline to stand or are deemed irrelevant it will be a massacre.

I can even see May winning seats in Scotland :uk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:33 pm 
Rock Star

Ilex wrote:
I remember Sturgeon saying May was not an elected PM and as such did not have a Brexit mandate :lol: - that's about to change very quickly

If only Sturgeon would give the Scots the same option to see how her "mandate" for independence stands :roll: - but there is absolutely no chance of that happening , is there :roll:

More MSP's than the unionists combined. How big a mandate do you need?. Majority in Holyrood for an independence referendum. Let's have no more talk of a "once in a generation" referendum after May's " no snap election"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:25 pm 
Top of the pops

Ilex I so agree. I think she has pushed her SNP stance so hard that she is turning voters against her.

Her views of joining the EU are beyond the pale. The mess in which the Scottish economy finds itself is solely down to her blinkered approach. Without the UK funding, lower oil prices and limited Scottish industry/financial infrastructure she really is on a hiding to nothing. Never mind the massive deficit!! Incredible to think that the EU would even think of letting Scotland in.

Scotland really needs a reality check as far as Sturgeon is concerned. Doesshe not realise the entry requirements? Scotland falls at the first fence with its massive deficit.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body