Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:25 am 
Top of the pops

With regret I have decided to resign from both this forum and the other Paphos forum.
Both have become very confrontational which means I no longer derive any pleasure by
participating.
I would like to thank the forum owners for provision of these forums and wish them all future success.
Regards
Geoffrey Smith
(Geoff).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:03 am 
Top of the pops

I will miss your posts Geoff
Sadly there are some rude people now on the forum, who turn every post into a slanging match and who are here to insult at every turn, which is why I read the posts until they become totally childish with arguments, but I hardly post at all any more as even the simplest of posts are turned into a childish spat and yes are confrontational

Take care

Last edited by migmogs on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:19 am 
Top of the pops

geoffreys wrote:
With regret I have decided to resign from both this forum and the other Paphos forum.
Both have become very confrontational which means I no longer derive any pleasure by
participating.
I would like to thank the forum owners for provision of these forums and wish them all future success.
Regards
Geoffrey Smith
(Geoff).

Sorry to see you go, Geoff .... please reconsider.
I'm sure we can all survive the 'slings & arrows' from others ?
No matter whether we agree or disagree .... it takes at least two to form a discussion ... or we would all be lonely.
Providing that we all post what we truly believe to be a factual reply, no-one should be offended.
I hope that other members ( and the website owners & administrators ) agree with me.
However, 'nasty replies' should not cause one to retreat ..... as words are just that ! .... & cannot physically harm us.
I try to post what I know to be true and facts which others may find valuable or interesting.
Whatever you decide .... I hope you have a Happy Easter Holiday .... and the same to all posters ( religious or not ).
:greetings

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:42 am 
Top of the pops

geoffreys wrote:
participating.

Geoffrey Smith
(Geoff).

Firstly I don't agree with you, the forums are less confrontational than they were. Secondly any confrontation is at least part down to you for starting threads like "Should Trump Nuke North Korea" and raising "Brexit" at every opportunity. Personally I think you are not leaving either forum, either you will be back in a couple of days, or back under a new name. You are not attention seeking, are you? Why not just leave without saying anything. :greetings

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:49 am 
Idol

Geoff - as the only UKIP member on either forum (probably the only UKIP member in Cyprus) I think you have a duty to stay, I think it is your responsibility to keep alive what would otherwise be a fast dying breed! :rocky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:03 am 
Top of the pops

Cheerio then. ( I shall keep a look out though) :grin:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:40 am 
Regular

The golden rule of forums is don't argue with idiots-unfortunately there are a lot of them about.

How you define idiot is of course key, although for me a person's inability to change one's mind or accept a democratic decision ranks pretty high up there

Most of these forums have been going round in circles prior to and after the referendum and it has indeed gotten rather tedious with all sorts of cut and paste nonsense, skewed opinions, childish agendas and infantile petitions becoming the norm :-(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:54 am 

No need to formally resign Geoff...just don't log in or if you do, don't reply to any posts / threads.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:29 pm 
Top of the pops

You have my sympathies Geoff. That is the same reason why I stopped posting (this is just a one-off).

Good luck and Happy Easter!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:58 pm 
Star

I don't beleive it . ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:06 pm 
Top of the pops

Sorry you feel you have to leave. I will miss your posts, some I agreed with, others I thought were bonkers. Made it interesting though!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:41 pm 
Star

Geoff I'm sure I like many will miss your posts, of course we cannot agree all the time but there is no place for the bullies who hide behind a keyboard.

There are ways we can reply to a post without it being personal and hurtful to that individual who wrote the original post, but for some this isn't possible.

I hope you will re think and don't give into the hurtful things that have been written over time, otherwise the guilty will have deemed to have won.

Take care and I hope to read a post from you again in the future, and I'm sure many over time have been very grateful for your help and advice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:01 pm 
Top of the pops

Sorry to see you go Geoff but sympathise with your reasons.
I post very little these days in order that I don't have to justify my opinions to those who are incapable of considering that there may just be another side to the argument.
Take care of yourself and good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:25 pm 
Top of the pops

Truly sorry you have come to that decision Geoff. You and I have been on opposite sides on a number of issues on here, but you always had my respect, because you also respected me, which is more than I can say of some very recent postings by certain people. Hope you find it in you to come back, and the sooner the better. In the meantime, all the best to you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:45 pm 
Rock Star

Last year whilst walking my dog in Coral Bay, I came across a male who told me that he wanted to end his life by jumping into the sea. I showed him the highest place along the cliff edge..............................an hour later, he was gone and I saw him later in Kikkos bar in Coral Bay. Attention seeker.

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:02 pm 
Junior

I too am very sorry to see you go, as I value your replies and always read them. Unfortunately there will always be people who are rude and inconsiderate when it comes to feelings and I am sorry that you have been hurt by their selfish attitudes. I will miss your contributions and hope that you might reconsider at some point. I wish you a Happy Easter and hope to see you again sometime.

Last edited by Ancient History on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:12 pm 

As a new member of this forum, I find it sad to see someone leave simply because I see it as a loss of their experiences and opinions, which regardless of your religious or political sway, can only enhance this 'community.'
I can see why he has chosen to leave though.....
I think people do not understand the purpose of forums such as these. To my mind, it's to inform, debate and make friends through their own individual experiences (and yes) their own opinion.
Of course, to have a discussion or an argument is healthy. If it's reasoned, it can educate and sometimes change your view. However, some of you need to take a hard look at yourselves.
Lately (and not just on here), I've noticed that as well as adding good points to a discussion, many 'keyboard warriors' seem to thrive on abuse and winding people up. I believe it's called 'trolling.' Certain individuals recall posts and threads from other sites (possibly from years back) in order to claim the upper ground and settle old scores.
I could be wrong, but the way some people portray themselves on forums doesn't do themselves any favours. Remember the old adage; "because you shout loudest doesn't mean you are right."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:58 pm 
Star

Sorry to see you go Geoffrys.i have had some stick myself on this site now and again.However, i remember what my old dad learned me when I was a boy "sticks and stones can break my bones but words will nerver hurt me" and I,ve took that view all my....well......long life. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:14 pm 
Top of the pops

vine wrote:
Sorry to see you go Geoffrys.i have had some stick myself on this site now and again.However, i remember what my old dad learned me when I was a boy "sticks and stones can break my bones but words will nerver hurt me" and I,ve took that view all my....well......long life. ;)

:goodpost Well said "Vine". I think if you read two or three postings on this thread, it can be seen why Geoffrey decided to leave. There are a number of former members who used to post regularly on here, but no longer do so, and it is my firm belief that the reason is down to a handful of "members". Such a shame, as they contributed a lot to this website, and it is the poorer without them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:18 pm 
Top of the pops

Expresspete wrote:
As a new member of this forum, I find it sad to see someone leave simply because I see it as a loss of their experiences and opinions, which regardless of your religious or political sway, can only enhance this 'community.'
I can see why he has chosen to leave though.....
I think people do not understand the purpose of forums such as these. To my mind, it's to inform, debate and make friends through their own individual experiences (and yes) their own opinion.
Of course, to have a discussion or an argument is healthy. If it's reasoned, it can educate and sometimes change your view. However, some of you need to take a hard look at yourselves.
Lately (and not just on here), I've noticed that as well as adding good points to a discussion, many 'keyboard warriors' seem to thrive on abuse and winding people up. I believe it's called 'trolling.' Certain individuals recall posts and threads from other sites (possibly from years back) in order to claim the upper ground and settle old scores.
I could be wrong, but the way some people portray themselves on forums doesn't do themselves any favours. Remember the old adage; "because you shout loudest doesn't mean you are right."

:agree :congrats Well said "Expresspete". You have hit the nail on the head. Good to see one of the newer members on here who doesn't appear to have come to make trouble. Do think we are experiencing a dropout of some of the CL closing.
Do keep posting Expresspete, as it is a rare delight to read what you have written. :greetings

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:26 pm 
Rock Star

geoffreys wrote:
participating.
Regards
Geoffrey Smith
(Geoff).

Don't go "Geoff", although I know where you're coming from. I was subjected in the past to forum bullying, even on my return some of the same had a go at me but I didn't retaliate but reported it to site admin and hopefully it has ended, I was particularly Grateful to those who welcomed me back.
So once again Geoff stick around, please.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body