The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Laptop/Printer prices
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:30 pm 
Top of the pops

Are laptops cheaper in the UK or CYP for similar spec machines, notwithstanding the issues of warranty etc.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:41 pm 
Major

I would say a lot cheaper in the U.K for a higher spec,I looked around in paphos and thougth they pricey I got my laptop in the u.k, and it works fine in cypurs

john :D

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:45 pm 
Regular

Tanny

Quite topical for me this one. Our laptop started playing up this time, switching itself off etc so we took it to Paphos Computers this morning. Basically it was overheating what with all the dust and muck that the cooling fan takes in. A good clean sorted it and I bought a cooling pad which makes it a lot better now.47 euros in all - well worth it. :lol: :lol: On the way down to there, we dropped some stuff off at the charity shop and saw a HP 1210 all-in-one printer/scanner/copier, but it had no cables with it. The price was 16 euro...bargain.

Checked out the new printers at the above shop and there was a basic deskjet in there for 40 euros (bottom of the range) with average prices for decent ones around 100 euros, so all in all pretty comparable with the UK prices.

Also saw some decent laptops there starting around 600 euros and obviously going up as the spec increases. UK prices also falling so generally check around.

Hope all this is of use to anyone out there, and I would obviously recommend Paphoscomputers, as their service was excellent. All sorted within an hour :clap :clap :clap :clap

http://www.paphoscomputers.com

The best mind-altering drug is truth.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:28 pm 
Regular

Hi Tanny,

I would recommend shopping around, however, Paphos Computers do offer excellent prices. I have known them for a while as they are good customers of mine, plus they even use my broadband in Kissongera (so if you want an impartial review ask Paul or Brian)

I think that the UK is still cheaper spec for spec, but remember what happens if you have a problem. Recently, I had to repair a Dell laptop for someone, and I had to ship the parts in from the UK, it took ages to sort! having said that, a CY Hp laptop that went wrong, took 3 months to get repaired in Nicosia - I bought the customer a new one (from PC!) to use while the other was being repaired. Unfortunatly, the service here is not up to scratch compared with the rest of europe, but that is because they just do not have the repair facilities here. A replacement Dell battery (remember the big recall) was sent from Dell in August and arrived here just before christmas from their agents in Nicosia - funny 3 weeks!

it is quite common for laptops to overheat here, so keep the vents clean!

Digby

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:29 am 
Top of the pops

The prices in Cyprus are on balance a little dearer than the UK prices, but you can always import from the UK if you feel it necessary. CPC will ship to Cyprus for £12 and Pixmania (part of the PC World Group) will also ship to Cyprus - both by UPS and both within two or three days. Hadjikyriakos & Sons (Polis Road) currently has offers on Toshiba, Acer, LG and Sony.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:33 am 
Laptop prices over here are on par with what they were in the UK 5 years ago, but places like PC World have dropped them so much lately, it better to bring them in than to buy here :D

As for printers, My epson Stylus C46 gave up the ghost on me a couple of weeks back, a message came up on the screen saying 'Your Printers Need Servicing' & wouldn't allow me to do anything with it, must have reached its print quoter or something, so I went to Paphos Computers & got a 'HP photsmart C4340 All-in-One' for €89 :celebrate yes €89 for a Photo printer, which can print, copy, scan, fax & prints photo's too, it also has slots at the front for memory cards, so can print direct from them, so I'm very impressed with it so far & for €89 too :bounce
The only down side is, the cost of ink cartridges these days cost more than the printers :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:42 am 
Regular

Hi Pete,

I have some software to reset the Epson counters - all you need to do is clean the ink waste pad, and reset the counters.

digby

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:05 am 
Top of the pops

digby, now had Neil asked on here he would have saved €89.

What about cartridge refill shops and/or the syringes.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:07 am 
Thanks Digby,

Well if you want a free Epson Stylus C46 printer, its here in my shop gathering dust, as I have my HP now :lol:

Nothing else wrong with it other wise :D

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:12 am 
Top of the pops

So we will soon see a refurbished Epsom in the Items for sales section. Quite right. Take the environmental recycling issues seriously.
ps any prices for the houses yet.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:23 am 
I'm not seeling any house Tanny :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:38 am 
Top of the pops

No but Im sure Neil will be along soon :)

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:45 am 
Maybe so but whats that got to do with Laptops & printers :smilielol

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:05 pm 
Top of the pops

Why on earth anyone uses a laptop escapes me............can't stand them!! Build your own desktop pc like I did - so easy its untrue!!

chris

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:40 pm 
Forum Admin

The wife`s monitor has just packed up..
she is looking for a flat screen.... dam !! more money .. :shock:
shall I buy one online from the uk , or get one here ??

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body