Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:15 pm 
Junior

i was stopped by muktar andreas,and told i am not allowed to dump green waste on free kalepia site,and if i return will be fined 50 euros.i a.m following rules and dumping in correct place.can he really fine me for dumping in correct place?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:34 pm 
Top of the pops

Maybe you should try the Mukhtar Nikos, he is very helpful.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:26 pm 
Junior

tanny wrote:
Maybe you should try the Mukhtar Nikos, he is very helpful.
sorry,am i hearing right,nikos is muktar of kalepia?not andreos?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:24 pm 
Top of the pops

We had a green waste site in Polemi . Polemi Council thought this was a great idea, but they had no staff to supervise what was being dumped. In small ways villagers started taking mattresses, old plastic furniture and general rubbish. Then people started bringing builders waste from as far away as Pegeia and Konia. The council then thought a sign saying only green waste was the thing to do. Well that did not work, so they employed the local digger driver to come weekly and push the collected rubbish down onto the field below.

When the pile started to seriously smell Polemi Council put a chicken wire fence round the site - it was pulled down within a few days. On several occasions the tip caught fire and burned for weeks. Eventually after many complaints including an incidence of a butcher dumping animal carcases and butchers waste, the site was supposedly closed & properly fenced with stout rebar fence. A gate with a padlock was also installed. Sounds good but the village authorities were prone to break their own rules and the key for the gate easily obtained. So often was the site left unlocked for days. Rubbish kept arriving and when complained about the answer was always "we have no staff go monitor the site" or "this was village rubbish and a one off"
Over about 7 years this became a massive problem Polemi could no longer cope with.

Eventually central government and the EU stepped in. They had teams of men installing leachate collection wells, as by this time the ground water was becoming poisoned. Hazardous materials were removed by a fleet of trucks and 3 or 4 bulldozers spent months re profiling the site to the natural curve of the land. After about 8 months the site was capped with 3 layers of membrane. Then covered in soil and planted with various species. It is fenced with high security fencing about 8 ft high.
All this was done in conjunction with the other rubbish site just off the motorway. The total cost for both projects was over 6 million Euro. The site is now inspected regularly by District Office for fly tipping and if any is found Polemi Village is fined.

So while it might seem the Kallepia Muchtar is being harsh, readers may now know where he is coming from. :greetings

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body