Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:00 pm 

High costs stunt Cyprus cremation plans

The unexpectedly high costs of equipment have been blamed for no crematoriums being built in Cyprus, despite parliament approving legislation for cremations almost a year ago.

Funeral home operators had suggested that the state create a crematorium they could purchase services from, amid fears not enough business will be generated to justify the high cost of setting up private facilities.
The operators say cremation furnaces and accompany equipment cost between €4million and €7m and question whether it would be worth their investment since only a hundred requests for cremation have been made in Cyprus.
The funeral home operators also said the legislation also includes very specific conditions in relation to the buildings housing the crematorium, adding to the overall cost of their introducing the service.
Currently, the bodies of people who had wanted to be created are generally sent to Bulgaria, at a cost of around €5,000.
The funeral home operators suggested the best solution would be for the state to build a crematorium which funeral home operators could pay to use and noted the legislation passed last year already includes provisions for this option.
The operators also revealed they had recently been approached by overseas companies offering an alternative to furnace cremation.
This method sees bodies frozen to minus 157 degrees Celsius in liquid nitrogen.
When the bodies are then returned to an environment with a higher temperature, they turn to ash.

Read more
http://in-cyprus.com/high-costs-stunt-cyprus-cremation-plans/

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:01 pm 
Regular

There are only about 5500 deaths each year in Cyprus and although the number of people asking for cremation is currently small, that would change if the facility was actually on offer, and would surely increase annually as more and more people got used to the alternative (and the amount of land available for burial gets less and less) Even a 20% take up ie 1100 cremations a year could make it financially viable charging a "reasonable" price ?

Problem of course with that few numbers of deaths then one crematorium is probably more than enough for the entire island, so holding a funeral service in a crematorium as we do in the UK would become extremely difficult for people to attend- having a cremation for a resident in Paphos if the crematorium is in Nicosia would be a nightmare, and vice versa

The alternative is a scaled down facility that simply does the cremation aspect with the service held elsewhere, although one imagines the Church would have something to say about holding a service where the deceased was to be subsequently cremated.

Government involvement would be the ideal scenario, but I doubt it is high on their list of priorities. So lots of problems I'm afraid, from religious objections to the logistics and the economies of scale :-(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:51 pm 
Over the years we have been led to believe there was a massive demand for this service,we were told they had backers chomping at the bit,to start up etc etc.. now the green light for cremation has been given, those who shouted for it, want someone else to pay for it.....good luck with that one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:17 pm 
Top of the pops

M.A.D wrote:
High costs stunt Cyprus cremation plans

The unexpectedly high costs of equipment have been blamed for no crematoriums being built in Cyprus, despite parliament approving legislation for cremations almost a year ago.

Funeral home operators had suggested that the state create a crematorium they could purchase services from, amid fears not enough business will be generated to justify the high cost of setting up private facilities.
The operators say cremation furnaces and accompany equipment cost between €4million and €7m and question whether it would be worth their investment since only a hundred requests for cremation have been made in Cyprus.
The funeral home operators also said the legislation also includes very specific conditions in relation to the buildings housing the crematorium, adding to the overall cost of their introducing the service.
Currently, the bodies of people who had wanted to be created are generally sent to Bulgaria, at a cost of around €5,000.
The funeral home operators suggested the best solution would be for the state to build a crematorium which funeral home operators could pay to use and noted the legislation passed last year already includes provisions for this option.
The operators also revealed they had recently been approached by overseas companies offering an alternative to furnace cremation.
This method sees bodies frozen to minus 157 degrees Celsius in liquid nitrogen.
When the bodies are then returned to an environment with a higher temperature, they turn to ash.

Read more
http://in-cyprus.com/high-costs-stunt-cyprus-cremation-plans/

ummm...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:59 pm 
Top of the pops

A friend of ours has already installed for a client the electrics required to run a crematorium at a site just outside town - so somebody has the money ALTHOUGH officially the license hasn't been granted yet!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:41 pm 
Graduate

sorry been a wee bit busy ..... updates ...still no licence issued ... same old ...same old ...as for any unlicenced building I am sure that will be closed before its opened.... sorry for grammer Neil I am really tired but just thought I would do a wee post.

The project is a long term investment and the article written in the insider magazine was a lot of tosh!

Maureen

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body