Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Restaurants are opening
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:51 am 
Rock Star

The season is here & restaurants are starting to open again. :celeb2
This is an oportunity to re-visit your favourites of last year & check any changes to their 'new' menu.
This can be revealing in terms of the views held by the proprietors, particularly as tourist numbers were up last year. Do they think the 'gravy train' is on the tracks again & are they taking advantage of their punters?

So far from our small sample the indications are not good;
1.Prices have been increased.
2.Size & content of dishes (eg.less meat, more salad/patatoes) apparent.
3.Cheaper cuts of meat used (eg.menu states fillet, but it is clearly not).
4.Drinks prices 'nudged' upwards.

Anyone else hold similar views & plan a review of their 'favorites' of last year to find pastures new?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:32 am 

Up in the hills, most of the village tavernas stay open all through the winter, with some closing for some of the time to do upgrades/have a much needed break/etc.

We've not noticed any increase in prices, nor decrease in quality/quantity of food on offer - perhaps because these establishments cater to the local customers even more than they cater to tourists.

Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a previous life.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:17 am 
Top of the pops

If you care to venture into north Cyprus you will find the opposite.
Plus they are half the price on average, or less, than the Greek side.
Also they seem more friendly towards the customers.
There are of course exceptions on both sides of the ceasefire demarcation line.
You can even get a bacon sandwich at the Salamis restaurant, which comes with salad and French fries, big portions, TL20.00 (€5.00 approx.).
Bacon of course is a no-no for Muslims and the north is Muslim, but they look after the tourists!
Geoff.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:52 am 
Regular

From your very small sample can you give some more details.

Ie location, percentage increase, etc.

Maybe, then, we can avoid such places.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:04 am 
Regular

We have been given a daily deals voucher for the Almond Tree. We intend to use it next week. However, this has always been a favourite of ours but last year we visited several times (with a voucher). The portions were so small , they would not have satisfied a child. On one occasion we had 5 chips, half a tomatoe and 4 bits of courgette to accompany a main course that cost nearly fifteen euros. We vowed not to go again as drinks were very overpriced. On each visit the
restaurant was very quiet!!!!!! Will post our comments on here after our visit next week.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:48 am 
Junior

We were also given a voucher for The Almond Tree and used it 2 weeks ago. Not disappointed with the size or quality of our meals. Only gripe I had was that it was a reduced menu for the winter.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:01 pm 
Top of the pops

We have seen no changes at all in the places that we go to eat

Still fabulous food and quality everywhere

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:47 pm 
Graduate

I agree Maggie (migmogs) no changes in prices and fabulous food. Where can you get a fab meze for €9 in Peyia but Geitonia, behind the church. Fab breakfast at Haris Bar in Peyia or Chalkies in Coral Bay.

Mary xx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:54 pm 
Top of the pops

Yes some great food out there Mary

For us Koutourou in Old Paphos for fabulous traditional Cypriot food, Duomo Italian no change there and the same fabulous food at Gourmet Taverna on the Harbour, SeaYou at Potima Bay, the coffee shop next to Hearns...home baked cakes and coffee to name a few that we like to eat at

All have fabulous food at great prices and their prices and portions have not changed at all

Enjoy all
Xxx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:22 pm 
Rock Star

Fashionista, you say you went to a restaurant a few times last year and were clearly disappointed with the portions and cost, so you plan to go back there ! Why?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:38 pm 
Rock Star

I must admit I have not noticed any real increase in prices or decline in quality, perhaps a few cents here and there...but that's inflation..and Geofferys , half price or less on average.in the North......what absolute rubbish....and the restaurants I frequent the staff are extremely friendly...which includes those on Paphos harbour....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:08 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
I must admit I have not noticed any real increase in prices

By 'real' I'm assuming you mean significant?

As an example, we went to one of our favorite restaurants earlier this week where we noticed that a particular meal was priced 'last season' at 4.50 euros, but had been increased on their 'new' menu to 5.50 euros. I make that an increase of 22%, significant IMHO!

It's only a euro I hear the cry, but to me it is a significant price hike that indicates the basic mind set of the proprietor.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:26 am 
Top of the pops

It also depends on a number of factors. What was the meal, was it meat or veggie based. It may have been priced at the 4.50 for a number of years and now reaching a point that there is no profit. The price may now stay at 5.50 for a considerable time.

Of course if not happy with the price then eat elsewhere.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:35 am 
Rock Star

If you can get a meal for 5.50 you are doing pretty well. In most places you would pay that for a snack.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:36 am 
Rock Star

What I mean TG is no I haven't really noticed any increase, I tend to go by the "more or less" rule....I know more or less what a meal will cost on average....usually a starter, a main, carafe of wine, coffee and maybe an ouzo....most restaurants I Frequent the price is about the same...inflation is rising, I did read food inflation is up about 5% from The level Last March to this....so a slight increase is acceptable. However I have certainly not noticed a decline in standards or portion size. Indeed in one of my favourite places "Santa Barbara" in Argaka, has improved on what was excellent anyway...a new Greek chef I think...the Kleftico s outstanding, Greek style.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:53 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
one of my favourite places "Santa Barbara" in Argaka, has improved on what was excellent anyway...a new Greek chef I think...the Kleftico s outstanding, Greek style.

Thanks for the tip Hudswell, may pay them a visit.

You say inflation around 5%, so my example of a rise of 22% as being significant is validated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:02 am 
Rock Star

Topgun wrote:
Quote:
one of my favourite places "Santa Barbara" in Argaka, has improved on what was excellent anyway...a new Greek chef I think...the Kleftico s outstanding, Greek style.

Thanks for the tip Hudswell, may pay them a visit.

You say inflation around 5%, so my example of a rise of 22% as being significant is validated.

I am not saying 22% is not significant but it is relative to the price,of the original meal...now 22% on a €25 main would attract my attention.. And of course 5% inflation on food no doubt increases as you go through the business model.

Last edited by Hudswell on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:37 pm 
Forum Admin

But had the price gone up 1 euro on a 10 euro meal , its still only a euro ?

this year my Tea and coffee has gone up 50 cents so have my fruit juice drinks by 50cents
though we now have an english breakfast for only 3.00 euros , most of our meals are priced around 8.00 - 9.00 euros ,,
maybe some of these guys have just been treading water for the past few years and now feel they need to make a little cash this year , we catering outlets are on very tight margins ..
if a euro kills you , best go to paps buy a chicken 5.00 euro, and stick it in the oven ,
some salad 2.00 euros , that will feed 2 people for 2 days ,,
not bad ,,, 3.50 per day for both to eat ..
:greetings

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:18 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
if a euro kills you , best go to paps buy a chicken 5.00 euro, and stick it in the oven

Like I said the cry would be; it's only a euro!

Despite your comment (self interest aside), 22% remains a 22% price hike when the index is 5%, so no justification IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:57 am 
Top of the pops

Topgun wrote:
Quote:
if a euro kills you , best go to paps buy a chicken 5.00 euro, and stick it in the oven

Like I said the cry would be; it's only a euro!

Despite your comment (self interest aside), 22% remains a 22% price hike when the index is 5%, so no justification IMHO.

:goodpost :clap
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:16 am 
geoffreys wrote:
You can even get a bacon sandwich at the Salamis restaurant, which comes with salad and French fries, big portions, TL20.00 (€5.00 approx.).
Bacon of course is a no-no for Muslims and the north is Muslim, but they look after the tourists!
Geoff.

Yet another post from the norths tourist Champion...Give it up Geoff, no matter how you try and promote your love for everything north side, Restaurants are not half price, and friendlier, complete clap trap...ive visited many restaurants over there, some had staff with smiles on their face's some with miserable face's, some of the food was great, some crap, but never half price. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:53 am 
Rock Star

Mazza wrote:
Fab breakfast at Haris Bar in Peyia or Chalkies in Coral Bay.

Not the greatest atmosphere, but the best breakfast by far for me is Phillipos at Coral Bay.

Sausage, bacon, fried egg, scrambled egg, mushrooms, beans, hash brown, tomatoes, toast, jam, juice and tea or coffee for €2.95!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:38 pm 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
Geoff.

Yet another post from the norths tourist Champion...Give it up Geoff, no matter how you try and promote your love for everything north side, Restaurants are not half price, and friendlier, complete clap trap...ive visited many restaurants over there, some had staff with smiles on their face's some with miserable face's, some of the food was great, some crap, but never half price. :roll:

Rubbish! Come over with me one day and I will show you.
I speak about Gazimagusa (Famagusta) area by the way - maybe I should have clarified that.
Kyrenia for example is a total rip off.
BTW I like ALL of Cyprus, North and South. Both have pluses and minuses.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:53 pm 
geoffreys wrote:
COYS wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
Geoff.

Rubbish! Come over with me one day and I will show you.
I speak about Gazimagusa (Famagusta) area by the way - maybe I should have clarified that.
Kyrenia for example is a total rip off.
BTW I like ALL of Cyprus, North and South. Both have pluses and minuses.
Geoff.

No need to show me, ive had family friends in Famagusta for over forty years, visit regularly, and have experienced many restaurants for my self, but thanks for the offer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:08 pm 
Top of the pops

Reply to Coys:
Well you can always find expensive eateries as well as cheapos.
My point is that on average at least it is cheaper to eat out in the north than the south.
You say you know Famagusta, you will know the "Californian" then and the "Bakery"- which prove my point.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:35 pm 
Top of the pops

Why is it that virtually every forum is now becoming so ruddy confrontational. I do believe Geoffrey was only trying to put a view forward, and hardly deserved the abuse he received. At this rate, there won't be many of the longer standing members left on here. It is supposed to be an information site, not a stupid confrontational site surely?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:29 pm 
Wavy Dave wrote:
Why is it that virtually every forum is now becoming so ruddy confrontational. I do believe Geoffrey was only trying to put a view forward, and hardly deserved the abuse he received. At this rate, there won't be many of the longer standing members left on here. It is supposed to be an information site, not a stupid confrontational site surely?

If people make ridiculous statements. ie Restaurants in the north are half the cost of restaurants over this side, dont complain if someone picks you up and tells you it aint so.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:48 pm 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:

If people make ridiculous statements. ie Restaurants in the north are half the cost of restaurants over this side, dont complain if someone picks you up and tells you it aint so.

Nothing ridiculous at all. On average they are a lot cheaper, often 50% cheaper or even more.
Not all, but most. That is our experience of 14 years eating over there.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:24 pm 
geoffreys wrote:
COYS wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:

Nothing ridiculous at all. On average they are a lot cheaper, often 50% cheaper or even more.
Geoff.

sorry aint buying it :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:41 pm 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:
geoffreys wrote:

Geoff.

sorry aint buying it :roll:[/quote]

Eat expensive this side then.
:lol:
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:22 pm 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:

Ever since you have been on here you have been argumentative in your attitude in your attitude. Is that why you joined, thus your comment in your last sentence? Sick and tired of you coming on here with your abusive posts, so expect to be answered back in the same tone!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:25 pm 
Top of the pops

geoffreys wrote:
COYS wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:

Geoff.

:goodpost I agree Geoffrey. This is supposed to be an information board, not a "let's see who we can have a go board at today". I accept that is your view, and if some don't agree with it, there are better ways of putting it, rather than abusive ways.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:43 pm 
Wavy Dave wrote:
COYS wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:

Ever since you have been on here you have been argumentative in your attitude in your attitude. Is that why you joined, thus your comment in your last sentence? Sick and tired of you coming on here with your abusive posts, so expect to be answered back in the same tone!

Maybe you believe what people say with out question, If I think someone posts something ridiculous then I will reply, if it upsets you, then theres not allot I can do about it....cheers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:53 pm 
Top of the pops

COYS, there are better ways of disagreeing with a member's post (like Geoffrey), than using the abusive way that you are. Do you not have it in you to be respectful as well as when you disagree?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:05 pm 
Top of the pops

Wavy Dave wrote:
COYS, there are better ways of disagreeing with a member's post (like Geoffrey), than using the abusive way that you are. Do you not have it in you to be respectful as well as when you disagree?

Thank you Wavy Dave.
I do try and be informative and even offered to take him over and prove my point.
One of his posts about family over there etc suggests he may be a Greek Cypriot, many of whome have quite justified axes to grind about the regime over in the North.
I am English with no axe to grind, and as per an earlier post I find pluses and minuses on both sides of the divide.
Best we leave it at that I think.
Best regards, and again thank you,
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:09 pm 
Wavy Dave wrote:

The person you are defending is well known on forums, from the east to the west of Cyprus, if you check out allot of his posts, especially the Eastern one (where he was banned) you will see he takes a pro TRNC stance both political, and social....nothing wrong in that..quite rightly he can do this, its a free country, but I repeat if you want to light the blue touch paper dont moan if others pick you up on it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:12 pm 
geoffreys wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:

Thank you Wavy Dave.
I do try and be informative and even offered to take him over and prove my point.
One of his posts about family over there etc suggests he may be a Greek Cypriot, many of whome have quite justified axes to grind about the regime over in the North.
I am English with no axe to grind, and as per an earlier post I find pluses and minuses on both sides of the divide.
Best we leave it at that I think.
Best regards, and again thank you,
Geoff.

My friends in the north are Turkish Cypriots, the nicest people on the planet, and im as British as you, as for having axes to grind..pot, kettle, etc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:32 pm 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:

The person you are defending is well known on forums, from the east to the west of Cyprus, if you check out allot of his posts, especially the Eastern one (where he was banned) you will see he takes a pro TRNC stance both political, and social....nothing wrong in that..quite rightly he can do this, its a free country, but I repeat if you want to light the blue touch paper dont moan if others pick you up on it.

For your information, I have disagreed with Geoffrey in the past, but we have always been respectful to one another, rather than looking for an argument as you appear to be with your comments. What a shame you cannot be civil.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:43 pm 
Wavy Dave wrote:
COYS wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:

For your information, I have disagreed with Geoffrey in the past, but we have always been respectful to one another, rather than looking for an argument as you appear to be with your comments. What a shame you cannot be civil.

You call it looking for an argument, I call it plain speaking/getting to the point, we will have to agree to disagree cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:08 pm 
Top of the pops

Yes "cheers" and goodbye!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:20 am 
Top of the pops

Happy Easter to all and sundry.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:00 am 
Top of the pops

tanny wrote:
Happy Easter to all and sundry.

Thanks, tanny.
"Kronia Polla" to you, too, & 'all and sundry'
:bearhug

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:19 pm 

PW in Polemi wrote:
Up in the hills, most of the village tavernas stay open all through the winter, with some closing for some of the time to do upgrades/have a much needed break/etc.

We've not noticed any increase in prices, nor decrease in quality/quantity of food on offer - perhaps because these establishments cater to the local customers even more than they cater to tourists.

Kay

We stay in Pafos every year and are keen to try village tavernas,can you recommend any for either lunch or dinner at all please ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:40 pm 

Hi mrmnmrsg

OK here's a list of some of our favourites:

Polemi: The Olive Tree - good for charcoal grills, (famous for the size of their pork chops) open daily for lunch & dinner except Sundays.
Tsada: The Fountain of Yerolakkos - open weekend evenings only in the winter. Not sure whether Pavlos has changed to summer hours yet, but if he has, he's open daily except Mondays.
Tsada: Aristos Place (must be good, Pavlos from The Fountain eats there in the winter!) - daily except Sunday, 2pm to when last customer leaves. Cypriot dishes & LARGE steaks.
Kallepeia : To Konatzi - evenings only, closed Sundays. Open till the last customer leaves. Good for meze and Cypriot dishes.
Miliou: Pangratios Traditional Tavern - closed Mondays. Traditional Cypriot fare & daily specials - try the rabbit stew if it's available on the day you visit.
Skouli: Pantelis Tavern, open daily 10am - whenever. Try the suckling pig on a Saturday night.

And of course in Kathikas there many restaurants/tavernas including the Petradaki, Imogen's, to Stekki tou Panai, The Farmyard ....

If you need directions, let me know.
Kali orexi

Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a previous life.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:47 pm 
Rock Star

mrmnmrsg wrote:
PW in Polemi wrote:

Kay

We stay in Pafos every year and are keen to try village tavernas,can you recommend any for either lunch or dinner at all please ?

I would also add to that list Konia Taverna. (Konia obviously)
Also any of the small village tavernas in Kouklia

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body