The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 pm

Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:08 am 
Top of the pops

We stand by while dictators kill their own people all the time. There is similar mayhem currently in several African states where thousands are dying, that have no interest for us at all. States only interfere when there is something in it for them. What is in it for America to depose yet another leader in the Middle East?

There was no problem in Syria until the Americans destabilised the country by funding, arming and training Al Qaeda groups to overthrow Assad, and it's been a humanitarian disaster - just as Iraq was a disaster and Libya was a disaster. We are supplying arms and training to Saudi (a thoroughly deplorable regime, much worse than Assad's) to fight its neighbours. We won't be interfering there.

What do you propose should be done that won't make matters many times worse? It seems that you are quite happy for Britain and America to kill any number of people to make a point, but are not really interested to investigate what that point is all about.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:29 am 
Top of the pops

KG wrote:
We stand by while dictators kill their own people all the time. There is similar mayhem currently in several African states where thousands are dying, that have no interest for us at all. States only interfere when there is something in it for them. What is in it for America to depose yet another leader in the Middle East?

There was no problem in Syria until the Americans destabilised the country by funding, arming and training Al Qaeda groups to overthrow Assad, and it's been a humanitarian disaster - just as Iraq was a disaster and Libya was a disaster. We are supplying arms and training to Saudi (a thoroughly deplorable regime, much worse than Assad's) to fight its neighbours. We won't be interfering there.

What do you propose should be done that won't make matters many times worse? It seems that you are quite happy for Britain and America to kill any number of people to make a point, but are not really interested to investigate what that point is all about.

:goodpost Well said KG. As I also mentioned before, Vietnam is a far better country now - united and free of interference. Wonder why The United Nations never carried out an investigation as to why America used napalm bombs causing terrible burns to those civilians that survived, and also causing abnormalities to some children born afterwards. At least there is proof The Americans used that terrible type of bomb. Even Colonel Hal Moore, who led the first ever action by The Americans against The Vietnamese, spoke to General Westmorland immediately after, and stated that napalm had been used against their enemies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:25 am 
Rock Star

Because Napalm because wasn't banned at the time perhaps, (actually it still isn't totally banned) nor was Agent Orange, nor were flame throwers, cluster bombs, ex etc etc....and yes all terrible weapons.....actually have you seen what a 7.62 round can do to somebody? There are no humane weapons....but thankfully people do eventually realise the terrible suffering some can cause as well and ban them..a bit like Chenical weapons such as Sarin, oh I note that Russia vetoed the UN resolution to force Syria to allow an independent investigation into its latest use. And again KG, whilst you are keen to,point out the US involvement in Syria you neglect to mention the long term support of Russia or Iran? Or is that just another inconvienient truth that we should all just not mention? Or did Russia just get involved because of those Nasty Americans?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:16 am 
Give it up guys, no matter what you write, how many facts you produce, some on here could give Lord Haw-Haw a lesson in spinning facts... Brain Washed R us :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:43 am 
Rock Star

its called freedom Of Speech COYs, because you live in a society that has people, willing to fight for and defend your way of life.....you may not like it but it is certainly better than the alternative....but do explain to me why Russia vetoed the latest UN proposal for an independant investigation into the use of Sarin by Assad? I would love to hear those "facts"....
And KG, this may be hard for you to believe but I am not a huge fan of all American Foreign Policy, and yes there is an inordinate amount of effort put into "stability" in the Middle East, something I actually do not believe will ever be achieved primarily because of the attitude of the middle eastern countries themselves. And yes they have a "Trump" card in regard to energy, which if denied to the West would severely impact on the world economy and its safe being as a whole...and if that means intervention then reluctantly...yes...when sitting back sees innocents exterminated and society crumbling...as I have stated previously, we are dammed if we do and dammed if we don't....And yes I would like to see more humanitarian effort put into the African states.....and if that means state intervention to save millions of lives then yes sign me up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:05 am 
Top of the pops

Hudswell wrote:
And again KG, whilst you are keen to,point out the US involvement in Syria you neglect to mention the long term support of Russia or Iran? Or is that just another inconvienient truth that we should all just not mention? Or did Russia just get involved because of those Nasty Americans?
Russia and Iran have long friendly associations with Syria. America has no relationship with Syria and wants to depose the legitimate leader and is funding a terrorist group they were fighting in Afghanistan to do so. Surely even through your rose coloured glasses you can see the difference ?

Iran only gets a mention because the Iranians are the wrong sort of Muslims - Shia and not Sunni, and thus at loggerheads with the real power in the region. Shia and Sunni have been fighting one another for centuries essentially over interpretations of a book FFS. Why on earth would we want to get in the middle of that?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:24 am 
Reading the posts on this thread, it seems..The difference between our posts is, I despise all despots and Dictators, Evil is Evil ...It seems from reading some posts ...you just hate the ones that are not friends of the West...by you choosing whos the good dictator or the bad one stinks of Hypocrisy......never a word condemning the Evil Saudi Arabia....beheadings, stoning , cutting off limbs etc etc, not even one church allowed in their stink hole of a country ...no problem we supply them with arms, let our Politicians and Royal family bow and scrape to them.....mate please dont you try and lecture, the rest of us about being able to sleep at nights,With respect I suggest some on here.. take a long long look in the mirror before trying to take the moral high ground, where support of dictators is concerned.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:33 am 
Forum Admin

COYS wrote:
Reading the posts on this thread, it seems..The difference between our posts is, I despise all despots and Dictators, Evil is Evil ...It seems from reading some posts ...you just hate the ones that are not friends of the West...by you choosing whos the good dictator or the bad one stinks of Hypocrisy......never a word condemning the Evil Saudi Arabia....beheadings, stoning , cutting off limbs etc etc, not even one church allowed in their stink hole of a country ...no problem we supply them with arms, let our Politicians and Royal family bow and scrape to them.....mate please dont you try and lecture, the rest of us about being able to sleep at nights,With respect I suggest some on here.. take a long long look in the mirror before trying to take the moral high ground, where support of dictators is concerned.

you will never get through to him.. just wasting your time..
He may even have been involved in carrying out some false flags
in his time in the services (all in the name of freedom) , in which countries its not even our business .. :doh

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:46 am 
Top of the pops

Hudswell wrote:
its called freedom Of Speech COYs, because you live in a society that has people, willing to fight for and defend your way of life.....you may not like it but it is certainly better than the alternative....but do explain to me why Russia vetoed the latest UN proposal for an independant investigation into the use of Sarin by Assad? I would love to hear those "facts"....
And KG, this may be hard for you to believe but I am not a huge fan of all American Foreign Policy, and yes there is an inordinate amount of effort put into "stability" in the Middle East, something I actually do not believe will ever be achieved primarily because of the attitude of the middle eastern countries themselves. And yes they have a "Trump" card in regard to energy, which if denied to the West would severely impact on the world economy and its safe being as a whole...and if that means intervention then reluctantly...yes...when sitting back sees innocents exterminated and society crumbling...as I have stated previously, we are dammed if we do and dammed if we don't....And yes I would like to see more humanitarian effort put into the African states.....and if that means state intervention to save millions of lives then yes sign me up.

So, as KG has already pointed out to you, which you conveniently ignored, why doesn't America get involved in the many Africa wars? Oh, I forgot. There is no gain regarding oil there. Also Putin vetoed the UN resolution, because he has already requested an independent UN investigation into the "alleged" Assad bombings. And don't tell me about what a 7.62 round can cause, as if I am some infantile being,because I could tell you one hell of a lot more about so much more than you would ever know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:58 am 
Top of the pops

Oh, how ironic. Trump now recognises that Nato is a useful force, after having called them rubbish whilst campaigning for The Presidency. Obviously now realises that with his rumblings in Syria and North Korea, he wil require European countries to put their bodies on the line with all the trouble he is causing. How long was it before we stopped paying for WW2 to the USA? I believe it was the early 21st century, whilst they rebuilt Japan and Germany at very little cost to those two countries. Friends? What a joke. Better off without them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:09 pm 
Star

Love them or hate them, without them we would all be speaking German or Russian for that matter.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 pm 
Rock Star

KG wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
And again KG, whilst you are keen to,point out the US involvement in Syria you neglect to mention the long term support of Russia or Iran? Or is that just another inconvienient truth that we should all just not mention? Or did Russia just get involved because of those Nasty Americans?
Russia and Iran have long friendly associations with Syria. America has no relationship with Syria and wants to depose the legitimate leader and is funding a terrorist group they were fighting in Afghanistan to do so. Surely even through your rose coloured glasses you can see the difference ?

Iran only gets a mention because the Iranians are the wrong sort of Muslims - Shia and not Sunni, and thus at loggerheads with the real power in the region. Shia and Sunni have been fighting one another for centuries essentially over interpretations of a book FFS. Why on earth would we want to get in the middle of that?

Come on KG, You know as well as I do hat Russia has had a very long military relationship with Syria and provides most if not all of its military capability. Russia's main goal in Supporting Assad is maintaining its stratically important Med Sea port. But at least you are capable of putting together interesting arguments and discussion, as opposed to some on this site. And I agree...that book FFS, but I would suggest we are already in the midst of the hatred and violence it causes....look around us.....and Neil, as I have said before, some of your comments just beggar belief, thankfully not many of us live in "Neil's World" those that do.....enjoy your blissful ignorance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:23 pm 
Top of the pops

Jim B wrote:
Love them or hate them, without them we would all be speaking German or Russian for that matter.

Jim

Yes, 70 years ago!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm 
Top of the pops

Hudswell wrote:
KG wrote:
Hudswell wrote:

Come on KG, You know as well as I do hat Russia has had a very long military relationship with Syria and provides most if not all of its military capability. Russia's main goal in Supporting Assad is maintaining its stratically important Med Sea port. But at least you are capable of putting together interesting arguments and discussion, as opposed to some on this site. And I agree...that book FFS, but I would suggest we are already in the midst of the hatred and violence it causes....look around us.....and Neil, as I have said before, some of your comments just beggar belief, thankfully not many of us live in "Neil's World" those that do.....enjoy your blissful ignorance.

"Neil's World" is the REAL WORLD as we know it today. He, and "others" like me are not living in the past. But then, if you want to continue to blame Russia for everything, without one shred of evidence then carry on, but don't moan when Russia decides to bite back, as it will do soon. Personally, I admire their constraint so far, but that constraint is probably now reaching it's limit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:38 pm 
Top of the pops

Hudswell wrote:
Come on KG, You know as well as I do hat Russia has had a very long military relationship with Syria and provides most if not all of its military capability. Russia's main goal in Supporting Assad is maintaining its stratically important Med Sea port. .
Indeed. That's essentially what I said, but you have conveniently overlooked the other part of my comment about America's involvement to destabilise the country and to depose the legitimate leader, which began the civil war. As of today's news Trump still wants to get rid of Assad, but has no clue about what to replace him with. Remove him and there will be a blood bath which will make the gassing of a few people seem insignificant - but the Americans will have their wish.

My wife and I have both had extensive radiotherapy, so we know how destructive radiation can be. Frankly I don't care to die in a cloud of nuclear fallout over an international d1ck measuring contest, between two nuclear armed leaders, for no sensible reason that has yet become apparent.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:02 pm 
Star

Wavy Dave wrote:
"Neil's World" is the REAL WORLD as we know it today. He, and "others" like me are not living in the past. But then, if you want to continue to blame Russia for everything, without one shred of evidence then carry on, but don't moan when Russia decides to bite back, as it will do soon. Personally, I admire their constraint so far, but that constraint is probably now reaching it's limit.

What do you or Neil for that matter know about Russia apart from what you've read in the papers or watched on Russia today. A couple of holidays there doesn't make you a world expert on the country. I don't profess to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I do know that all the ex Soviet States were subjugated by Russia and were in the main grateful to throw off the yoke of Russia. They were treated as serfs in their own countries and in general hate the Russians for the way they were treated; that's the Real World. If all the other ex-Soviet States loved Russia so much why aren't they clamouring to rejoin the Russian Empire?

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:07 pm 
Forum Admin

Jim B wrote:

Jim

in case anyone forgot to tell you .......... america sold weapons to both the allied forces and the germans during WWII , not bad eh! ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:14 pm 
Forum Admin

Jim B wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:

What do you or Neil for that matter know about Russia apart from what you've read in the papers or watched on Russia today. A couple of holidays there doesn't make you a world expert on the country. I don't profess to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I do know that all the ex Soviet States were subjugated by Russia and were in the main grateful to throw off the yoke of Russia. They were treated as serfs in their own countries and in general hate the Russians for the way they were treated; that's the Real World. If all the other ex-Soviet States loved Russia so much why aren't they clamouring to rejoin the Russian Empire?

Jim

you will notice that most of them that left are now struggling countries ,
Ukraine was heading back to Russia until the murikans set up a a false revolution
and depossed another elected president , why do you think Crimea voted in a referendum to rejoin russia,, now a very nice developing region.
As Russia thrives the ones who left are skint ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:33 pm 
Rock Star

"Neil's World" is the REAL WORLD as we know it today. He, and "others" like me are not living in the past. But then, if you want to continue to blame Russia for everything, without one shred of evidence then carry on, but don't moan when Russia decides to bite back, as it will do soon. Personally, I admire their constraint so far, but that constraint is probably now reaching it's limit.[/quote]

"Those who not remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

You can learn a lot from the past, and in the case of the Syrian Chemical attack on its citizens I think we all know they have previous form, unless of course you prefer to live your life oblivious of the facts all around you...the burden of proof is certainly not with Syria....I do not blame Russia for everything...but in this case they have had numerous opportunities to "man up" and curtail Assad, but instead they have resorted to their age old trick of absolute denial...but as long as you get your Fish and Chips and cold Bottle of beer..which I understand Neil is extremely good at, then all will be right with the world...for now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:37 pm 
Star

As you well know Neil, the vote in Crimea was only 22% of the population; the ethnic Cossacks didn't vote and neither did the locals . It was only the ethnic Russians who had been moved there to change the demographics who voted. The programmes I have seen relating to Crimea wouldn't suggest it as thriving and also most of the visitors are government workers who have been ordered to take their holidays there even though they would much prefer Cyprus or Turkey.

The President of Ukraine who was supported by Russia at the time wanted to move closer to Russia though the vast majority of the people didn't, The "Holodomor" is still a part of Ukrainian history when over seven million Ukrainians died due to a man made famine caused by the Russians so there is no love lost there.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:46 pm 
Forum Admin

Jim B wrote:
As you well know Neil, the vote in Crimea was only 22% of the population; the ethnic Cossacks didn't vote and neither did the locals . It was only the ethnic Russians who had been moved there to change the demographics who voted. The programmes I have seen relating to Crimea wouldn't suggest it as thriving and also most of the visitors are government workers who have been ordered to take their holidays there even though they would much prefer Cyprus or Turkey.

The President of Ukraine who was supported by Russia at the time wanted to move closer to Russia though the vast majority of the people didn't, The "Holodomor" is still a part of Ukrainian history when over seven million Ukrainians died due to a man made famine caused by the Russians so there is no love lost there.

Jim

your figures are way wrong .. 95% voted to return to russia , and it is a thriving region,
READ HERE
https://www.rt.com/politics/350798-no-regrets--almost-all/
Once the Kerch bridge is finished , it will be even more boyant ..
I am even thinking of investing in a small hotel in Yalta ..
I have friends from sevastapol whom I speak with weekly they say things have never been better, much better than the ukraine ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:28 pm 
Top of the pops

Jim B wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:

I know that Neil knows more about Russia than I do. You also need to rein in your volatile ridiculous ramblings, as I have never been on holiday to Russia, or indeed America. The Russia of 60 years ago would have already been at Trumps throat by now, but Putin is attempting to be patient, even though every accusation of wrong doing has been thrown at his country for the last few years, and without one shred of evidence. I notice that when mentioning Russia's former ties, you didn't mention America's ties to South Vietnam. I well remember the footage of the last of the Americans scrambling to get on the helicopters as the victorious North Vietnamese were encircling their embassy compound, as the Americans so selfishly left all their South Vietnamese "friends" on the ground to await their fate. America, especially with Trump at the helm, are a total danger to world peace, and one reason they are so concerned about North Korea, is that they may develop a nuclear weapon capable of travelling to their shores. Didn't matter to them that North Korea might already have the capability of hitting Europes shores did it. Wake up to what Trump is doing. He is a maniac.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:42 pm 
Rock Star

And Putin isn't? Wake up, smell,the propaganda....and Neil RT is hardly a paragon on impartial reporting...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:34 pm 
Top of the pops

Hudswell wrote:

"Those who not remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

You can learn a lot from the past, and in the case of the Syrian Chemical attack on its citizens I think we all know they have previous form, unless of course you prefer to live your life oblivious of the facts all around you...the burden of proof is certainly not with Syria....I do not blame Russia for everything...but in this case they have had numerous opportunities to "man up" and curtail Assad, but instead they have resorted to their age old trick of absolute denial...but as long as you get your Fish and Chips and cold Bottle of beer..which I understand Neil is extremely good at, then all will be right with the world...for now.[/quote]

What an utterly ridiculous last sentence you have put there. Unbelievable, and totally minimises any comments you have already made. What a childish comment, merely because my views are similar to Neil's.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:42 pm 
Rock Star

Similar, no I just assumed you frequent his establishment. So I Can I take it the rest of the post is spot on? At least have some independant thought WD...

Last edited by Hudswell on Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:53 pm 
Star

I was only quoting the figures initially shown on Russian Channel 1 Neil and then hurriedly removed when it realised it showed the referendum for the farce it was. It is most probably better in the Crimea at the moment but they aren't trying to fight off an invasion by a foreign aggressor as the Ukrainians are because it is already occupied. I did spend over ten years working and travelling in the old Soviet States and to say most places are third world is putting it mildly. Of course you will deny this as the ramblings of someone who is anti Russian but I'm not in the least, I'm just telling you how it really is once you get outside of the cities and not how you believe or would like it to be.

What has Vietnam got to do with the ex-Soviet States David apart from them having pilots flying for the north during the Vietnam war? I didn't think my comments were volatile or ridiculous ramblings as I was only pointing out that you have little or no knowledge of Russia or the old Soviet Empire. I'm sure Neil is articulate enough to put his point across without you rising to his defence every-time someone disagrees with him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:47 pm 
Star

Neil wrote:
Jim B wrote:

Jim

in case anyone forgot to tell you .......... america sold weapons to both the allied forces and the germans during WWII , not bad eh! ..

You could also ask yourself why the British never bombed the Krupp Factories. The Americans gave many weapons to Russia and Sweden sold weapons and ball bearings to both sides. You could also ask why the Russians executed over 25 thousand Polish Officers in Katyn Wood when they were both supposed to be on the same side; just saying.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:15 pm 
Top of the pops

Hudswell wrote:
Similar, no I just assumed you frequent his establishment. So I Can I take it the rest of the post is spot on? At least have some independant thought WD...

The person I "supported" on his viewpoint was KG. Also, why assume I frequent anywhere? I feel I have given enough independent comment anyway, without have to be chastised by you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:43 pm 
Top of the pops

Jim B wrote:
I was only quoting the figures initially shown on Russian Channel 1 Neil and then hurriedly removed when it realised it showed the referendum for the farce it was. It is most probably better in the Crimea at the moment but they aren't trying to fight off an invasion by a foreign aggressor as the Ukrainians are because it is already occupied. I did spend over ten years working and travelling in the old Soviet States and to say most places are third world is putting it mildly. Of course you will deny this as the ramblings of someone who is anti Russian but I'm not in the least, I'm just telling you how it really is once you get outside of the cities and not how you believe or would like it to be.

What has Vietnam got to do with the ex-Soviet States David apart from them having pilots flying for the north during the Vietnam war? I didn't think my comments were volatile or ridiculous ramblings as I was only pointing out that you have little or no knowledge of Russia or the old Soviet Empire. I'm sure Neil is articulate enough to put his point across without you rising to his defence every-time someone disagrees with him.

Why you have the audacity to say I have little or no knowledge of The old Soviet empire, I really don't know. I was around when that period was happening, so I do have a good knowledge of it. Also, merely because I stated my views were similar to Neil's, doesn't in any way denote that I am always rushing to his defence. My views are MY VIEWS, so don't tell me what to do or say.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:42 am 
Star

Wavy Dave wrote:
Why you have the audacity to say I have little or no knowledge of The old Soviet empire, I really don't know. I was around when that period was happening, so I do have a good knowledge of it. Also, merely because I stated my views were similar to Neil's, doesn't in any way denote that I am always rushing to his defence. My views are MY VIEWS, so don't tell me what to do or say.

Right!! If you say so but I'm only saying what many others think :roll:

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:49 pm 
Star

I guess none of us has been to Syria and the like to actually witness the atrocities.So I think your point of view comes from where you get your news.IE if you get your information off the BBC or you get it from say RTV you will have a different opinion on matters.
I,m saying nowt if you get your info from the......Guardian :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:08 pm 
Regular

It's a very silly "argument"- quite why Trump chose to bomb Syria now is obviously something to ponder (and it might be more frustration about his inability to implement the domestic policies he was elected to do, or deflect from other criticisms, than any US "oil" conspiracy theory)

Bottom line is that Assad is a thoroughly nasty piece of work being kept in power by another thoroughly nasty piece of work.

Of course if Assad was a nasty on "our" side neither us, or Assad himself, would find themselves in the current predicament we find ourselves in.

Syria is a mess, but as long as Assad is in control it will never start to resolve itself because he's too reviled in Syria for that to be even possible. That of course suits Russia, because the vast majority of refugees (and the political chaos that is causing) are heading in one direction and it isn't towards Russia or the US: Trump will make sure of that- although one particularly silly group of mugs disliked by both Trump and Putin have put themselves forward for that particular over-spill :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:43 pm 
Forum Admin

I think its very clear to see who the warmongers are in the world ,,
how close to america is Syria ,? how close is america to N Korea ? .

yet the yanks are happy to start trouble a long way from there shores..

this could be the start of a very big problem .
https://www.rt.com/news/384755-north-korea-war-possible/

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:12 pm 
Rock Star

Their,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:38 pm 

Do we really want to go down the road of correcting members spelling and grammar?

PS
In the context of the thread from Neil it’s ‘their’….without the capital T and without the comma :grin:

Back on topic please.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:21 pm 
Rock Star

Sorry, I do apologise....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:35 pm 
Top of the pops

One way to lose one's identity is to misspell one's own language.
This could be due to the computer's Americanised 'spell checker', a slip of the typist's digit or lack of knowledge.
I have no problem with anyone correcting my spelling or grammar .... a polite message will suffice.
It is better than ignoring errors, which others might take to be correct and, consequently, copy the misspelt word in the future.
I find the blatant errors in news reports on TV, newspapers and websites .... quite irritating.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:22 pm 
A serious thread...and people going on about spelling.....so so sad :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:46 pm 
Forum Admin

COYS wrote:
A serious thread...and people going on about spelling.....so so sad :roll:

back on topic please ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:17 am 
Star

Wasn't it the Soviet Union who started the whole sorry mess in Afghanistan in the first place and I didn't think Syria was next door to Russia either though I'm sure RT will correct me.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:06 am 
Idol

Jim B wrote:
Wasn't it the Soviet Union who started the whole sorry mess in Afghanistan in the first place and I didn't think Syria was next door to Russia either though I'm sure RT will correct me.

Jim

Depends how far back you want to go, the area we now refer to as Afghanistan has been contentious since Alexander the Great.

The recent problems could be more fairly traced back to the Pakistanis rather than the Soviets, as they initially financed the Marxist revolution that overthrew the previous [relatively peaceful] monarchy, although the Soviets weren't far behind.

Isn't it strange that, for all our talk about the benefits of democracy, the most enduring, peaceful, and enlightened nations all tend to be constitutional monarchies of one form or another?

Must be something in it, I guess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:10 am 
Forum Admin

Jim B wrote:

Jim

a big difference , being invited to help by the legitimate leader
or
Invading and over throwing .. :doh

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:39 am 
Star

The Russians were invited in by Nur Mohammad Taraki who’s party led a coup against the legitimate government so to say the Russians were invited into Afghanistan by the legitimate leader is not correct. At the end of the day they were well and truly beaten and retreated back into the Soviet Union in February 1989 after nine years of warfare. Several of my friends served there for the Soviet Army and they said it was horrendous.
I would hazard a guess that if the Soviets had not of supported the People's Democratic Party of Afghanistan who had grabbed power then they wouldn't have lasted very long and things would have settled down to the usual tribal interactions in the country.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:49 am 
Top of the pops

Neil wrote:
Jim B wrote:

Jim

a big difference , being invited to help by the legitimate leader
or
Invading and over throwing .. :doh

Germany had an elected leader up to the mid 1940s.
What would you have done at that time, Neil ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:38 am 
Top of the pops

Jim B wrote:

Jim

It was Great Britain what started "Great Game" in 19 century !
Read historian researches.
Or here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Game

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:03 pm 
Star

You are correct Sergio.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:56 am 
Rock Star

Strange nobody has started a post about Syrian terrorists murdering 126 Syrian evacuees 68 of them INNOCENT CHILDREN when they carried out a bomb attack on the busses evacuating them from besieged towns.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:09 am 
Star

Bassman

Just evil, pure evil; heartbreaking.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:23 pm 
Forum Admin

Bassman63 wrote:
Strange nobody has started a post about Syrian terrorists murdering 126 Syrian evacuees 68 of them INNOCENT CHILDREN when they carried out a bomb attack on the busses evacuating them from besieged towns.

its called selective intake of information ..

only here what they want ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:46 pm 
Star

I think you're right Neil but also people reach a saturation point of how much horror they can absorb. A few years ago I went to Mumbai to recruit a load of labour for a job we were doing in the Middle East and the poverty initially really shocked me. After a few days we all became very insular towards it as we were surrounded by it, We were living in a five star hotel and out through the windows we could see whole families living in cardboard boxes. I'm not trying to make excuses but generally when you are surrounded by horror your mind turns off to it and presently we are all assaulted on TV and in the Press by the atrocities happening all across the world and people just turn their minds off to it.

Jim

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body