The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:34 am 

Possible traffic delays

Today is the second day of the Cyprus Gran Fondo 2017 cycling event

Stage 2, 25th March: On Saturday, the neutralized start will go towards Kouklia, the timed stage will open with a total distance of 68.9 km. The cyclists will move towards Dora, Arsos, Ayios Nikolaos and finish at Kouklia. It is a long uphill climb towards 900m above sea level followed by a long downhill to finish at almost sealevel. Total elevation is 1625m.

Stage 3, 26th March: All riders have a neutralized start for 15.4 km towards Peyia where the timed section starts for a total distance of 65km. Finish is in Tsada, via Kathikas and Stroumbi. Total elevation is 1349m.
Attachment:
Cycle Race.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:53 am 
Rock Star

Do you know the time they start please?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:00 am 
Top of the pops

i believe Sunday it's 9.30 so best take care on or avoid totally the coast road during the morning and if i recall from last year the Polis Rd is rather busy in the afternoon with them coming back down again when it's finished!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:33 pm 
Top of the pops

Shocking delays in and around the whole of Paphos Old Town at this moment. There is a parade taking place near the police station, and the police have blocked numerous roads, and once you are diverted you are left on your own as to try and find a way round it all. Can't understand them holding the cycling event on the at the same time. Didn't realise it is a Cypriot National Holiday today. Suggest you don't venture into The Old Town until at least 4pm today.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:25 pm 

I did post it in the Cyprus Holidays 2017 thread :grin:

Saturday, March 25 Greek National Holiday (celebrated in Cyprus)

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:44 pm 
Top of the pops

M.A.D wrote:
I did post it in the Cyprus Holidays 2017 thread :grin:

Saturday, March 25 Greek National Holiday (celebrated in Cyprus)

So you did Dave! I will give myself one of these :doh !!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:47 pm 
Top of the pops

Had to get my granddaughter to the mall for 1.00 today. After reading Wavy Daves post I quickly changed my route from the through Kennedy Square etc, to the dual carriageway - longer but better than going on a round Paphos tour through the diversions. Same on picking her up at 4.00.

Thanks Dave, you saved me oodles of time let alone a wad load of cash in the swear box!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:30 pm 
Top of the pops

George wrote:
Had to get my granddaughter to the mall for 1.00 today. After reading Wavy Daves post I quickly changed my route from the through Kennedy Square etc, to the dual carriageway - longer but better than going on a round Paphos tour through the diversions. Same on picking her up at 4.00.

Thanks Dave, you saved me oodles of time let alone a wad load of cash in the swear box!

The route you took George ,is the one I took to get home to Old Paphos. As to your comment about the swear box, my wife is still mimicking what I was saying about the diversion signs - to nowhere. Never seen so many drivers, including myself doing 3 point and 5 point turns in various roads. Rather like being in a maze that you can't get out of!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:00 pm 
Top of the pops

I do know Dave, usually when trying to get to the Orthodontist on a Monday, appointment 5.10. Hit a diversion and I'm really struggling, done exactly what you say, car following car, dead end and all trying to turn round and find a way out. One week I do remember coming out almost down to the seafront on totally unknown roads. Just rang and explained the problem, said there was no way I could get there anywhere near the appointment time and headed home, arriving about 2 hours after I left home!

You couldn't make this stuff up!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:53 pm 
Top of the pops

George wrote:
I do know Dave, usually when trying to get to the Orthodontist on a Monday, appointment 5.10. Hit a diversion and I'm really struggling, done exactly what you say, car following car, dead end and all trying to turn round and find a way out. One week I do remember coming out almost down to the seafront on totally unknown roads. Just rang and explained the problem, said there was no way I could get there anywhere near the appointment time and headed home, arriving about 2 hours after I left home!

You couldn't make this stuff up!!

Your last comment sums it up perfectly. Some will think you were exaggerating about the two hours, but I know you weren't, as it took me one and a half hours to find my way home, having covered a 5 mile detour when my home was three quarters of a mile away under NORMAL(??Haha) circumstances.
George, if you are going to the M & S in The Old Town anytime, let me know and you can pop in for a coffee. But remember to ask them how to get into my apartment complex which is only 200 yards away, as the current PEDESTRIAN diversion - not signposted- is more like a quarter of a mile!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:26 pm 
Top of the pops

Ha ha!! Will do that Dave, thanks!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body