The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Theresa May
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:14 pm 
Top of the pops

Superb attitude, compassion and words from her both last night and in addressing the House today.

Also good to see many MPs paying tribute to Tobias Elwood, the MP who tried to save the life of PC Keith Palmer.

Post subject: Re: Theresa May
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:10 pm 
Top of the pops

George wrote:
Superb attitude, compassion and words from her both last night and in addressing the House today.

Also good to see many MPs paying tribute to Tobias Elwood, the MP who tried to save the life of PC Keith Palmer.

Well said :agree :goodpost :clapping
Corbyn came over well too this afternoon in response to Mrs M.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:06 pm 
Regular

I have thought for some time that May had the potential to be a good PM and she is making a very good fist of the job in light of the sets of circumstances and problems thrown her way by the electorate and politicians with a lot less ability and credibility than herself :clap

Long may May continue :uk

ps a snap election (or even the threat of one) could stick a lot of useless political diddies' heads on poles ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:04 pm 
Top of the pops

Agree Ilex, but it ain't in the rules!! Think there has to be a vote of no confidence?? In which case, can't see this happening in the current climate??

Shame 'cos I think there'd be a landslide and give her carte blanche!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:24 pm 
Regular

All that is required is a 2/3 thirds majority, which sounds impossible, but think about it!!- [what opposition party would not relish the chance to hold the government of the day to account and could retain any semblance of credibility if they failed to do so ;) )

Chance to call a lot of bluffs IMHO- if she doesn't get the majority she still has carte blanche by default :pow If the opposition refuse to put it to the people given the chance they (the opposition) do not have a leg to stand on

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:44 pm 
Top of the pops

Ilex wrote:
All that is required is a 2/3 thirds majority, which sounds impossible, but think about it!!- [what opposition party would not relish the chance to hold the government of the day to account and could retain any semblance of credibility if they failed to do so ;) )

Chance to call a lot of bluffs IMHO- if she doesn't get the majority she still has carte blanche by default :pow If the opposition refuse to put it to the people given the chance they (the opposition) do not have a leg to stand on

As I understand it she cannot call a General Election without first repealing the Fixed Term Parliament Act.
Bring it on!
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:03 pm 
Regular

Not quite correct. There are 2 ways for an early election

The first is if two thirds of MPs vote to hold an election. This is a very high bar and would in practice require both Labour and Conservative support.

The second is if there is a no confidence vote in the government of the day. After such a vote other parties are given 14 days to form another government. If none can be formed, a new election is held.

Holding a no confidence vote in yourself is a theoretical possibility , but not a very sensible one :lol:

But all May has to do is the first option- how do you object to the policy of a democratically elected government if you have refused to allow the people say on an alternative point of view. It would give May unquestionable authority whilst still being subject to Parliamentary scrutiny (win or lose the vote)

Repealing the Fixed Term Act is of course another alternative, but it is not the only way to bring about the required result

quick ps- she could even use the SNP votes (if they voted against her) to insist on a snap independence referendum in Scotland on her own terms- that I suspect is the last thing the SNP would want without being able to play their "victim card" and rigging the electoral roll :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:53 pm 
Top of the pops

I bow to your superior knowledge Ilex!! Bring it on, I will simply keep my fingers crossed, and pray!!

Think if she can find a way she should go for it, even though she's said it won't happen.

McMillan - "Events dear boy, Events"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:06 pm 
Regular

It's definitely the law and win or lose she can't lose. The extract from the Act itself is :

Early parliamentary general elections

(1)An early parliamentary general election is to take place if—

(a)the House of Commons passes a motion in the form set out in subsection (2), and

(b)if the motion is passed on a division, the number of members who vote in favour of the motion is a number equal to or greater than two thirds of the number of seats in the House (including vacant seats).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:32 pm 
Rock Star

She cannot call an election as there is no votes of no confidence of the Government especially now article 50 is being triggered, my opinion is this, she will see through Brexit and look at the Scottish issue. If Scotland push for a second vote the PM can call an election anytime she chooses, this would be the same as a no confidence vote, democratically the UK as a whole in constitutionally at loggerheads with Westminster, I believe that is what Sturgeon knows hence the actions she has taken, love her or hate she is no fool and knows what she is doing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:54 pm 
Junior

Ilex wrote:

Are you kidding? "What opposition party..............". I hardly think that the present opposition party would be in any state to run a successful election. "Turkeys" and "Christmas" comes to mind irrespective of which party you support. Even the SNP would most probably lose seats.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:22 pm 
Top of the pops

Ilex wrote:
Not quite correct. There are 2 ways for an early election

The first is if two thirds of MPs vote to hold an election. This is a very high bar and would in practice require both Labour and Conservative support.

The second is if there is a no confidence vote in the government of the day. After such a vote other parties are given 14 days to form another government. If none can be formed, a new election is held.

Holding a no confidence vote in yourself is a theoretical possibility , but not a very sensible one :lol:

But all May has to do is the first option- how do you object to the policy of a democratically elected government if you have refused to allow the people say on an alternative point of view. It would give May unquestionable authority whilst still being subject to Parliamentary scrutiny (win or lose the vote)

Repealing the Fixed Term Act is of course another alternative, but it is not the only way to bring about the required result

quick ps- she could even use the SNP votes (if they voted against her) to insist on a snap independence referendum in Scotland on her own terms- that I suspect is the last thing the SNP would want without being able to play their "victim card" and rigging the electoral roll :lol:

Like George I bow to your superior knowledge.
I can't see it taking place, but I hope I am proved to be wrong!
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:15 pm 
Regular

Had she not got the authority to call Article 50 on reasonable terms there would have been no choice, but I suspect that she won't call an election now that we have been given the date for triggering the process- it would waste too much negotiating time.

She faces a lot of problems of course, but so do the opposition- if she continues to keep the process on track and the continues to exert what appears to be an quite extraordinarily effective authority in the Commons she won't need the risk and the disruption of an election.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body