Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: THE CRUELTY CONTINUES
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:42 am 
Star

Just read this:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/77 ... Cyprus-RAF

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:47 am 

Sourcing: Where you copy and paste from a source, please provide a link. Also, when posting an article or image, try to stick a few lines underneath to start up the discussion.

Thank You :bearhug

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:57 am 
Top of the pops

What is there ? Perhaps short extortion would be useful for us here ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:57 am 
Top of the pops

Yorkshire Lady wrote:

However much you might dislike such practices in Cyprus it is part of their culture
and that is unlikely to change whatever the SBA might do.
"When in Rome do as the romans do" comes to mind. Or as we say in my old hometown
of Scarborough in Yorkshire "live and let live lass".
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:18 am 
geoffreys wrote:
Yorkshire Lady wrote:

However much you might dislike such practices in Cyprus it is part of their culture
and that is unlikely to change whatever the SBA might do.
"When in Rome do as the romans do" comes to mind. Or as we say in my old hometown
of Scarborough in Yorkshire "live and let live lass".
Geoff.

Agree with Geoff, cant see how anyone could eat these small birds, but you will never stop it, its been going on for centuries, I believe its still legal in Italy, and more birds are consumed in Malta , and North African countries...Been here in for thirty years, and its only us expats that complain, over in the East of the island its a way of life to the Cypriots...I once suggested to a Cypriot friend who lives in Paralimni, that I thought it was a bit crawl when I was offered them at a dinner party, just to say I was lucky to get out alive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:27 am 
Regular

Sorry but the Cypriots themselves made this practice illegal and as such it has no more place in Cyprus "culture" than rooster fighting and badger baiting has in British "culture." These birds are not being caught for food (despite being eaten) , they are being caught for profit

It is of course very lucrative and if you have high unemployment the temptation to get involved is extremely high, but that is no excuse for not clamping down on the practice.

Cyprus is a natural stop over point for all sorts of migratory birds and the economic value of keeping them alive and attracting people come see them is way higher than the money to be realised from their slaughter. Going around beating up people who try to enforce the law isn't a great advert for the island either :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:37 am 
Ilex wrote:
Sorry but the Cypriots themselves made this practice illegal and as such it has no more place in Cyprus "culture" than rooster fighting and badger baiting has in British "culture." These birds are not being caught for food (despite being eaten) , they are being caught for profit

It is of course very lucrative and if you have high unemployment the temptation to get involved is extremely high, but that is no excuse for not clamping down on the practice.

Cyprus is a natural stop over point for all sorts of migratory birds and the economic value of keeping them alive and attracting people come see them is way higher than the money to be realised from their slaughter. Going around beating up people who try to enforce the law isn't a great advert for the island either :roll:

Good Post, and I agree with what you say......will it stop? not a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:08 pm 
Top of the pops

COYS wrote:
Ilex wrote:

Good Post, and I agree with what you say......will it stop? not a chance.

If the morons would only understand that migrating birds are part of the ecology of nature.
The birds help to remove destructive insects which decimate crops ..... so less need for dangerous insecticides.
These idiots are storing up trouble for the health and welfare of future generations !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:38 pm 
Top of the pops

Would it be any less cruel to rear them in cages for the purpose of eating?

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:39 pm 
Top of the pops

I love living in Cyprus and I love the Cypriot people

But I hate this cruel practice of how they kill these migrating song birds

It would be kinder Tanny...if they bred the birds in large open air cages to be eaten as a farming product
than the way that they are caught right now

Wild migrating birds should be left to migrate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:53 pm 
Top of the pops

Coys says: "will it stop? not a chance"
He is right - no chance
Anymore than will they stop being cruel to dogs and cats? Again no chance.
Only the British seem to worry about these things.
They wouldn't like Hong Kong/China then! There they eat black coloured dogs, only black ones.
Any stray ones get clubbed for the wok. Doesn't bother them, didn't bother me either.
If I was bothered by the habits of other nations I would never have left the shores of UK, now
that would have been bad news!!
Geoff.
P.S. Before someone asks, yes, I have eaten black dog in HKG, but not (yet!) songbirds in Cyprus.

Last edited by geoffreys on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:01 pm 
Top of the pops

geoffreys wrote:
SFD says: "will it stop? not a chance"
He is right - no chance
They wouldn't like Hong Kong/China then! There they eat black coloured dogs, only black ones.
Any stray ones get clubbed for the wok. Doesn't bother them, didn't bother me either.
If I was bothered by the habits of other nations I would never have left the shores of UK, now
Geoff.
P.S. Before someone asks, yes, I have eaten black dog in HKG, but not (yet!) songbirds in Cyprus.

I'm seriously having second thoughts about your recent posts Geoff.
You seem to be developing a 'black side' to your persona.
Sad ! :tickedoff
P.S. And you have attributed someone else's question to me, in error. :shock:
Have you been at that cheap plonk you have been promoting from the Occupied Area ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:49 am 
Top of the pops

SFD wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
SFD says: "will it stop? not a chance"
He is right - no chance
Geoff.

I'm seriously having second thoughts about your recent posts Geoff.
You seem to be developing a 'black side' to your persona.
Sad ! :tickedoff
P.S. And you have attributed someone else's question to me, in error. :shock:
Have you been at that cheap plonk you have been promoting from the Occupied Area ?

Yes sorry about that - I was referring to a post by Coys.
Cheap plonk? Don't drink spirits - only wine and beers from this side.
:oops:
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:57 am 
Regular

Geoff surely as compassionate human beings we cannot condone cruelty to life in whatever form and in whatever country. Please don't come back saying that it is the countrys' culture and we should accept it. I for one will never accept it in any country including the UK and will always do what I can in any small way to fight it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:49 am 
Regular

There is only one way to protect the environment from human nature and that is to pass laws to protect it and ruthlessly enforce them. Ultimately it is in everyone's best long term interests to do so.

Unfortunately the political will isn't there (primarily for profit motive reasons and not cultural ones :roll: ), so soon for "wildlife" Cyprus will only have stray dogs, feral cats, and other assorted vermin and the trees will be all like these luminous plastic things cropping up outside some Paphos restaurants.

Story from the CM today about the tree felling activities in Paphos village - very sad but no big surprise

http://cyprus-mail.com/2017/03/17/tree- ... ol-paphos/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:48 pm 
Top of the pops

Poppytim wrote:
Geoff surely as compassionate human beings we cannot condone cruelty to life in whatever form and in whatever country. Please don't come back saying that it is the countrys' culture and we should accept it. I for one will never accept it in any country including the UK and will always do what I can in any small way to fight it.

I already said it in my first post!
C'est la vie en Kibris...
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:14 pm 
Rock Star

There is cruelty world wide, when you are working your primary concern is your job so you become blinkered, but when you retire you become more exposed to it and see more of it. Other members have pointed out we will never stop it and to try would be like trying holding back the sea nigh on impossible.
Unless the government inject more cash into preservation then it will not happen, So what is the answer here in Cyprus NONE, this is because you are trying to re-educate traditionalists, it is like us trying to stop fox hunting in the UK it is not going to happen (SAD BUT TRUE)

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body