The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Referendum Two
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:25 am 
Rock Star

Nicola Sturgeon's demand for a second referendum on Scottish independence within the next two years. This woman intends to destroy the good people of Scotland with her fixation about independence, she never wanted to do a deal with the Government, she from the age of 15 wanted independence now she will push until gets a second vote. Does she honestly believe that Scotland will be better off alone the figures (financial do not add up) if she does then the lunatics are running the asylum. Be careful for what you wish for.

Post subject: Re: Referendum Two
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:54 am 
Dont see the what the problem is....If the good folk of Scotland vote to stay or leave....good luck to them..its called Democracy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:14 pm 
Idol

I'm sure I read somewhere that there couldn't be another referendum for 25 years. Let that be an end to it. I think that May should call a general election and put no change to the Union as part of the manifesto. :uk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:21 pm 
Regular

Personally, I think they should leave the UNION.

Let them stand on their own feet and stop sponging off the English.

All Scottish born living in England should be repatriated.

The country would be bankrupt within weeks.

Income £5, Expenditure on benefits £50,000,000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:32 pm 
Major

artlin wrote:
Personally, I think they should leave the UNION.

Let them stand on their own feet and stop sponging off the English.

All Scottish born living in England should be repatriated.

The country would be bankrupt within weeks.

Income £5, Expenditure on benefits £50,000,000

Very true. And as for them "joining" the EU, that cannot happen under current EU criteria because their GDP for a start will be far too low to meet the EU requirements.
Also Spain would block them from joining in any case. Sturgeon and Salmon are quite mad, one issue politicians who I believe the Scottish people are finally waking up to.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:55 pm 
Top of the pops

How sad that this one thought woman hates the United Kingdom so much
And would ruin our uk at every turn...if she could
She goes on and on about no other issues

Poor Scotland with her at your helm

Our Scottish friends All want to remain in the uk and do NOT want a second referendum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:08 pm 

migmogs wrote:

Our Scottish friends All want to remain in the uk and do NOT want a second referendum

There is a petition your friends can sign https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/180642

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:43 pm 
Top of the pops

M.A.D wrote:
migmogs wrote:

There is a petition your friends can sign https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/180642

thank you MAD
They have already signed this petition

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:45 pm 

Some sweeping statements being made here :grin:
It is worth noting that:-
1. In the first referendum the majority voted to stay in the union
2. Nicola Sturgeon quoted:- “It is a once in a generation referendum”…2014 – 2018 IS NOT a generation
3. The Scottish people did not / have not asked for a second referendum and indeed there is a current online petition to have it debated in Parliament that Mrs May should deny a second.

Just whilst I’m on, please don’t let this thread turn into an insulting / slagging match…TQ :bearhug

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:54 pm 
Rock Star

Dave, Thanks for link, signed the petition.

Before I came back to Cyprus I lived for a year outside Dumfries (I am English)in a small hamlet called Beeswing, I was made more than welcome by the Scottish people, they are lovely people (some rotten apples in every nation). My wife worked in a local farm shop and the locals were not happy about leaving the UK, as one put it we would be broke within 18 months.
The Scottish have free NHS also free prescriptions and other subsidies from the UK, as they said, we would lose all that, the lady needs to look at that, also defence and who will fund that also the oil & gas revenue is in decline.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:10 pm 
Rock Star

Well there certainly don't appear to be people clamouring for another referendum.

It seems that Ms Sturgeon is just going to keep demanding referendums until she gets the result that she wants. Sadly, that isn't how a democracy works!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:35 pm 
Regular

This call for another referendum is no more than what American sport commentators would call a "Hail Mary"

The Scots don't want another referendum- the last one was bitterly decisive and Scotland knew at the time of that last Independence referendum that the UK which they voted to remain part of would be calling a referendum on EU membership in the foreseeable future-there is no mandate whatsoever for another referendum.

If Sturgeon gets another referendum she will lose it- there is no appetite for it and the political and economic reality does not warrant it, but that won't stop these fanatics trying for an impossible dream even it it is to the detriment of the UK and the Scottish people themselves

The SNP are doing an abysmal job of running Scotland. They have lost their majority in the Scottish parliament , Scotland is going to hell in a handcart under their auspices, all devolved aspects are failing despite higher per capita spending and to be honest most Scots I know are fed up to their back teeth and embarrassed by the constant whinging of a First Minister with all the political gravitas and good grace of Vicky Pollard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:45 pm 
Rock Star

The Uk (or at least England) narrowly voted to leave the EU to regain "Parliamentary sovereignty". Why should Scotland not vote to regain the same. In the previous independence vote Scots were told that voting No would keep them in the EU. That has been proved wrong even though every area in Scotland voted to stay in the EU and will now be forced out. In the Scottish elections the SNP were returned to power (albeit with a reduced representation due to the electoral system) with an increased percentage of the vote on a policy of having another referendum if there were a material change of circumstances. In the General Election of 2015 Scotland elected 56 out of 59 MP's to Westminster. No one can predict what economic circumstances would be after either an EU exit or Scottish Independence. Loss of trading, loss of oil revenues for rUK etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:59 pm 
Regular

What Scotland was told by the rest of the UK was that leaving the Union meant leaving the EU and re applying to join with the Euro as their currency-which is now demonstrably true

What Salmond said was that leaving the Union did not mean leaving the EU and that Scotland could retain the £ - which is now demonstrably codswallop

No one ever said that the UK would never vote to leave the EU- which appears to be the suggestion of that last posting :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:06 pm 
Top of the pops

zorbathejock wrote:
The Uk (or at least England) narrowly voted to leave the EU to regain "Parliamentary sovereignty". Why should Scotland not vote to regain the same. In the previous independence vote Scots were told that voting No would keep them in the EU. That has been proved wrong even though every area in Scotland voted to stay in the EU and will now be forced out. In the Scottish elections the SNP were returned to power (albeit with a reduced representation due to the electoral system) with an increased percentage of the vote on a policy of having another referendum if there were a material change of circumstances. In the General Election of 2015 Scotland elected 56 out of 59 MP's to Westminster. No one can predict what economic circumstances would be after either an EU exit or Scottish Independence. Loss of trading, loss of oil revenues for rUK etc.

Oil ... a major point put forward by the SNP, is currently costing the UK a fortune to de-commission rigs.
Can Scotland provide it's own military, education, health, shipyards etc. or a replacement for the Barnett Formula, without help from the UK ?
Out of the UK it would have to !! .... and stand at the 'back of the queue' for re-entry to the EU ( which Spain would veto, anyway).
Shipyards would be moved south of the border and the rest of the UK would not terribly miss their treats of whisky, haggis, salmon or tartan.
So what would be the down-sides for the rest of the UK (except for the earache & comedy from Sturgeon & Salmond )?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:01 pm 
Regular

It's hilarious ain't it

If Scotland had voted for independence last time they would be out of the EU, and if they vote for independence next time they will be out of the EU, but they can now blame Theresa May for respecting the democratic decision of the people of UK she represents for "dragging" Scotland out of the EU against it's wishes when that is what was going to happen if they ever voted to leave of the Union their own volition :roll:

Anyone who can't work out we are dealing with a deranged whinger of the highest order needs a check up from the neck up :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TbTC96ZUms

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:10 pm 
Rock Star

This will be my last post on the subject.
The UK benefitted from the oil revenues and has already said they will bear the costs of decommissioning. The SNP said oil was a bonus not a necessity (using U.K. figures) Despite saying oil was running out ,new prolific oil fields are being developed to the west of Scotland.
Scotland already pays for it's own NHS which is performing better then the rUK. The Barnet formula returns less money than it receives from Scotland.
There is no "queue" to join the EU. Applicants have to conform to certain obligations which Scotland as a member already does. Spain recently confirmed they would not object to an independent Scotland being a member. They were worried about regions, not countries.
A large part of the defence force is dependent on Scots although military spending in Scotland is well below the amount as a percentage of UK expenditure.
Scotland would no longer have to contribute to HS2, Crossrail, London Olympics , Trident etc which contribute nothing to Scotland.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:21 pm 
Regular

Lots of easily questioned assumptions there ( it's not the quantity of oil that matters it's the price :roll: ) and there of course may be all sorts of questions about the very future of the EU itself, and the implications of freedom of movement if England is no longer doling out benefits to everyone in Europe but Scotland still is :lol:

But one simple question here - will an independent Scotland have to adopt the Euro?- simple yes or no will suffice, although if you say No you really would have to explain why the EU would make an exception in Scotland's case

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:47 pm 
Rock Star

You can debate this forever with members having different opinions (rightly so) but facts show that the English, Welsh & NI give millions to Scotland, monies we will probably never know about. If they vote for independence as is their right, thousands would be on the dole as Trident would move south 7000 jobs, other industries would move south, granted some would move north, but I doubt she has fully thought about what if (worse two words in the dictionary), the first lady is out of touch.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:04 pm 
Star

Simply,,,it would be like turkeys voting for christmas,,the mind boggles.ALL our Scottish friends want to stay in the Union.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:09 pm 
Top of the pops

zorbathejock wrote:
This will be my last post on the subject.
The UK benefitted from the oil revenues and has already said they will bear the costs of decommissioning. The SNP said oil was a bonus not a necessity (using U.K. figures) Despite saying oil was running out ,new prolific oil fields are being developed to the west of Scotland.
Scotland already pays for it's own NHS which is performing better then the rUK. The Barnet formula returns less money than it receives from Scotland.
There is no "queue" to join the EU. Applicants have to conform to certain obligations which Scotland as a member already does. Spain recently confirmed they would not object to an independent Scotland being a member. They were worried about regions, not countries.
A large part of the defence force is dependent on Scots although military spending in Scotland is well below the amount as a percentage of UK expenditure.
Scotland would no longer have to contribute to HS2, Crossrail, London Olympics , Trident etc which contribute nothing to Scotland.

The SNP blatantly lied about oil being a bonus, it is no such thing! Andrew Wilson, who chairs the SNP’s growth commission, confirmed that North Sea taxes would have been needed to fund public spending and were not a windfall
There is very much a queue for joining the EU: A Spanish MEP used scare tactics to warn Scotland against seeking independence post-Brexit, saying it would have to “join the queue” behind Montenegro, Serbia and Turkey if it then applied for EU membership.
I am curious as to what currency Scotland would adopt in the event of a vote for independence? They would of course be allowed to use sterling, however without a deal with UK govt. they would have a lot less control over their economy and surely independence means being able to have full fiscal control? It seems when painful questions are asked the yes voters don't want to talk anymore. Funny that......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:57 pm 
Top of the pops

Allan, I'm not really sure they would be able to retain sterling. UK has serious concerns about bolstering Scottish banks which are a bit of a car crash at the moment. It would leave BoE pretty exposed. Same at the last Scottish referendum, I remember Osborne was adamant that they couldn't continue to use sterling, nothing new as Scotland has done nothing to remedy the situation, don't think a lot has changed. We'll see once the posturing is over! Do agree the yes voters don't ever seem to have answers to the tricky details!

Be surprised if May agrees a referendum before Brexit is finished in 2019. How can she, the government is going to be totally enmeshed in Brexit discussions, ho time to run a Scottish referendum campaign. Which is precisely why the grandstanding Sturgeon chose this moment to make her (not) surprising declaration.
Jacs x

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:05 am 
Idol

[quote="zorbathejock] In the previous independence vote Scots were told that voting No would keep them in the EU. [/quote]
So they were lied to by Sturgeon & Salmond!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:18 am 
Top of the pops

If Scotland was to leave the UK (which, despite the loud noises from SNP, seems more unlikely now than it did at the last 'once in a generation' referendum), then Scotland would lose its EU membership. It is the UK that is currently the member and Scotland is a member because it is part of the UK. Scotland would have to apply to join the EU as an independent country.

In order to join the EU Scotland would have to adopt the Euro, which is mandatory for all new members, and would therefore have to meet the convergence criteria for joining, or the ECB would reject it. There is currently no possible way that Scotland can meet the convergence criteria, as Britain would certainly not write off Scotland's proportion of the national debt, nor be responsible for future debts, should Scotland continue using the Pound. There would be no more financial handouts from Westminster.

Blinded by their goal of an independent Scotland, you won't hear any of these truths from the SNP who continue to claim that the EU will change all its rules to allow Scotland to remain part of the EU.

Scotland may have a future as an independent nation, but it will be independent from both the UK and the EU and its economy outside the UK is not currently robust enough to support a socialist state that thinks only of borrow, tax and spend as a way to maintain its lifestyle.

Its industry and the wealthy would probably move south to avoid the punitive taxes required to replay the debts. After all many of the supporters of independent Scotland, don't actually live there. The future of an independent Scotland looks bleak. But hey - if that's what they want, go for it.

PS - This morning's press reports that Sturgeon has abandoned her plans to rejoin the EU should she win a vote to leave the UK, and thus, at a stroke, has removed the alleged justification for having another referendum. She now claims that the EU is unpopular with her supporters. Nothing then to do with the realities I pointed out above. You couldn't make it up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:31 am 
Top of the pops

Unbelievable tripe from this woman. More hot air than a hand dryer in a toilet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:50 am 
Idol

The Lunatics have taken over the Asylum. :woohoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:10 am 

Amongst others, this is

Dumbstruck Day
Everything You Think is Wrong Day
National Brutus Day

I kid you not :grin:
https://www.checkiday.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:22 am 

I see that in less than 36 hours, the petition as exceeded the 100,000 required signatures
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/180642

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:25 am 
Cant understand why most people want to keep the Scots, if they want to leave let them... personally I think that economically they will be worse off, but if they vote to go .....all the best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:25 pm 
Idol

M.A.D wrote:
I see that in less than 36 hours, the petition as exceeded the 100,000 required signatures

Is there a similar petition to allow a referendum to take place?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:47 pm 

Fylde Filly wrote:
M.A.D wrote:

Is there a similar petition to allow a referendum to take place?

No idea :roll: If you find one let me know.
I can't however see why there would be since it's already on the cards to happen so those in favour don't need to petition.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:49 pm 
Regular

Let the referendum take place and the sooner the better. That will quickly get rid of another fly in the ointment.

Sturgeon's actions and timing are an utter disgrace and a typical example of the distorting of democracy by certain individuals, minorities, vested interests and fanatics to get their own way and advance their own preferences that is totally atypical of the correction process to a failing set of circumstances the majority of Britain is currently and democratically embarking on

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:58 pm 
Junior

COYS wrote:
Cant understand why most people want to keep the Scots, if they want to leave let them... personally I think that economically they will be worse off, but if they vote to go .....all the best.

:agree :goodpost

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:09 pm 
Top of the pops

Ilex wrote:
Let the referendum take place and the sooner the better. That will quickly get rid of another fly in the ointment.

Sturgeon's actions and timing are an utter disgrace and a typical example of the distorting of democracy by certain individuals, minorities, vested interests and fanatics to get their own way and advance their own preferences that is totally atypical of the correction process to a failing set of circumstances the majority of Britain is currently and democratically embarking on

:agree Spot on !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:24 am 
Rock Star

My personal feeling on Brexit is "The vote will be to sta in the EU, , so why bother going to vote" and Brexit won. If Sturgeon gets her way she will win because it will be "The vote will be to remain part of the Union, so why bother going to vote".
It will be the stop at home, cannot be bothered to vote brigade who will win it for her.
Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:10 am 
Regular

There was a massive turn out in Scotland last time and if she is suicidal enough to call anther one those same people who voted against the SNP last time will do so again.

You must not judge all Scots by the rantings of this harpie. Scotland is failing socially and economically under these lunatics, they aren't capable of utilising the devolved powers the have been granted and have shown themselves to be incapable of running a pet shop, let alone a country. Many people are simply waiting their turn to express their disappointment and their disgust

The Conservative party is unpopular in Scotland for all sorts of reasons and the disintegration of the Labour party has given the SNP virtually a monopoly of Scottish politics, but the Scots aren't stupid and the majority still want to Remain part of the Union despite the number of SNP MP's in Westminster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:29 am 
Major

The SNP are only interested in getting Scotland out of the Union, they are really only a one issue party. They are not capable of
forming a government and running a country, which they have proved by the mess Scotland is now in. Many Scots who
voted for them previously, having witnessed how inept they are, will never vote for them again. They want to remain in the UK
and many are also fed up with the EU. The SNP come across as a bunch of unruly, mischief making children who hate the English and
just want to cause trouble. Witness the pointless question tabled by one of their MPs at PMQs yesterday. They would comfortably lose
any Referendum in the current climate IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:32 am 
Regular

Theresa May appears to be more than a match for her :lol:

It will be interesting to see what the eligibility criteria will be for voting next time round-if the 800,000 Scots living and working in England get the vote this time (they were quite shamefully banned from voting last time) it will be a landslide in favour of the Union

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:07 pm 
Idol

Salmon failed, Sturgeon is going the same way. Who is next .....Trout. :rocky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:10 pm 
Top of the pops

stormy wrote:
Salmon failed, Sturgeon is going the same way. Who is next .....Trout. :rocky

Already there .... She's got the face of one ! :smilielol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:32 pm 

I've been watching this post with interest as my impression of the IndyRef2 situation is completely different and it's not easy for someone with an opposing opinion to step in to the middle of a debate. I live in Scotland and the vast majority of my friends are pro independence.
Money Saving Expert are currently running a poll which also shows the strength of feeling up here, as well as opinion in other parts of the UK which makes for interesting reading.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/poll/14-03-2017/should-scotland-be-an-independent-country-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:50 pm 
Top of the pops

AngieB wrote:
I live in Scotland and the vast majority of my friends are pro independence.
Why? Certainly you are not being told the whole truth by the SNP as to how Scotland would manage if it were to alienate itself from its biggest market, and how it would afford its socialist programme without the handouts from Britain and without the Bank of England covering its debts, should it continue to use the pound as currency.

Then the SNP states that it wants to remain in, or rather rejoin, the EU. Even if that was possible, that would mean adopting the Euro, which an independent Scotland could not currently manage, and which I suspect many Scots would not favour.

I appreciate that some of these types of argument were put against Brexit, something which I wholeheartedly supported, but an independent minor country that relies on handouts from the rest of the UK, is not the same as an independent UK that is one of the world's largest economies and a key player in the world.

So what possible advantage, apart from an emotional one, could your Scottish friends possibly gain?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:07 pm 
Top of the pops

AngieB wrote:
I've been watching this post with interest as my impression of the IndyRef2 situation is completely different and it's not easy for someone with an opposing opinion to step in to the middle of a debate. I live in Scotland and the vast majority of my friends are pro independence.
Money Saving Expert are currently running a poll which also shows the strength of feeling up here, as well as opinion in other parts of the UK which makes for interesting reading.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/poll/14-03-2017/should-scotland-be-an-independent-country-

So, from the figures quoted from the four nations re. Scotland, I calculate 48.69% (leave the UK) and 51.31% (remain in the UK) ....
Much like the UK Referendum. So the UK leaves the EU !
What the Scots want to do after that is for them to think about ....
Stay in the UK ?
or leave the UK, fund themselves and stand in the queue for EU membership (could be a very long wait).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:40 pm 
Junior

A few days ago I mistakenly entered a group on Facebook devoted to people wanting Scottish independence. Amongst others matters they were commenting on Teresa May's speech at the Scottish Conservative party's conference. I have never come across such foul language and hateful comments. When I commented upon Scotland's likely situation in the event of independence and asked the group a couple of questions I was subjected to the same vile language and comments and not one person even tried to answer the questions I posed.

I would like to say I was totally surprised, but after the behaviour of both sides, especially those on the pro-independence side, during the run up to the first referendum on independence, I was not. In my experience I would doubt whether they could ever hold a civilised and meaningful discussion on this subject sufficient to give any undecided Scots any guide as to what would be in their best interests.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:39 pm 
Top of the pops

on the pro leave chat that I looked at...it was 80% english who where on there...telling Scotland to leave because of the EU...they where remainers and still hate Brexit with a vengeance!

I love the uk, we are a small country and I will be sad to see it destroyed and dismantled into smaller countries by this woman who has no other agenda other than to destroy the United kingdom. Her single minded hatred of the UK as a whole, knows no bounds

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:08 pm 

Scottish independence: Referendum demand 'will be rejected'
The UK government is to reject calls for a Scottish independence referendum before Brexit after Theresa May said "now was not the time". Read more:-

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-39293513

Could be interesting

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:23 pm 

KG wrote:
AngieB wrote:
I live in Scotland and the vast majority of my friends are pro independence.
Why? Certainly you are not being told the whole truth by the SNP as to how Scotland would manage if it were to alienate itself from its biggest market, and how it would afford its socialist programme without the handouts from Britain and without the Bank of England covering its debts, should it continue to use the pound as currency.

So what possible advantage, apart from an emotional one, could your Scottish friends possibly gain?

There is a lot of information available that shows Scotland could be successful as an independent country. Unless you live up here, I think it's difficult to realise how ignored we feel by the Westminster government and how biased a lot of the news reports are.

Here is some info, which although it was written three years ago, is still valid today. I appreciate facts can be manipulated to suit the writer but I think Scotland has a good case for independence.
http://www.businessforscotland.com/10-key-economic-facts-that-prove-scotland-will-be-a-wealthy-independent-nation/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:53 pm 
Graduate

It would seem that Theresa has got the measure of the narcissistic harpy. Give her time to shoot herself?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:18 pm 
Top of the pops

Maybe read some realistic assessments AngieB

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... nce-would/

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... bn-deficit

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/po ... d-by-cuts/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:42 pm 
Graduate

Yes George, spot on, which is why the harpy is doomed to failure!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body