The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Penalty doubled in UK.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:16 am 
Rock Star

New penalties have come into effect in the UK for drivers who use their mobile phone at the wheel;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4271246/Drivers-caught-using-mobile-phones-wheel-again.html

I'm really looking forward to this coming to Cyprus, the fines would serve to provide significant funds which may be used for example; to mend the roads. Safety would be improved by taking the idiots who do this off the road. :celeb2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:25 am 
Star

wow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:04 am 
Top of the pops

Topgun wrote:
New penalties have come into effect in the UK for drivers who use their mobile phone at the wheel;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4271246/Drivers-caught-using-mobile-phones-wheel-again.html

I'm really looking forward to this coming to Cyprus, the fines would serve to provide significant funds which may be used for example; to mend the roads. Safety would be improved by taking the idiots who do this off the road. :celeb2

If they did update the laws here, they would never be enforced anymore than the current laws are.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:26 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
If they did update the laws here, they would never be enforced anymore than the current laws are.Geoff.

Maybe an inducement would help; how about the police get a xmas tax free bonus based upon meeting a quota for example?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:28 am 
Top of the pops

geoffreys wrote:
Topgun wrote:

If they did update the laws here, they would never be enforced anymore than the current laws are.
Geoff.

:agree Absolutely so Geoff. It would be so good if the law were enforced regarding the use of mobile phones whilst driving, but as you rightly say, it won't be. They don't even put the phone down when near a police presence.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:50 pm 
Top of the pops

Easy to knock the police here, but the figures tell a different story.
During January Cyprus police booked 9,562 drivers for speeding along with another 11,868 for other offences (non-use of seat-belts, mobile phone use, drink driving, children in front of car etc.). They carried out 6,702 breathalyser tests and 831 people were over the legal limit.
In addition, they are pressing the government to increase the penalties for all such offences.

Loos to me that they are doing a pretty good job.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:38 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
They carried out 6,702 breathalyser tests and 831 people were over the legal limit.

In most cases no doubt without the driver actually committing a moving traffic offense!

This scatter-gun appropach to law inforcement IMHO is not the way to go to gain the respect of the law & its enforcement. The result will be the complete opposite, it's human nature.

Target the law breakers by all means, but stop harassing those who are abiding by the law.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:40 am 
Rock Star

"In most cases no doubt without the driver actually committing a moving traffic offense!"
Just because they have not committed an offense when stopped does not mean they are sober and have not previously committed one or won't later

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:41 am 
Top of the pops

Just recently it was reported that the Paphos police had doubled the number of bookings for illegal parking for 2016 v 2015 to 323. What the hell are all these police on the motorcyles doing around here? 323 for a whole year? Less than one per day! If they did their job, they could book 323 in one day in Paphos. Try coming down the one way system beyond Paphiakos Bingo on a Saturday night, and you can hardly get a car through with all the illegal parking. Good job the buses don't run past midnight there, because they wouldn't get through.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:49 am 
Top of the pops

zorbathejock wrote:
"In most cases no doubt without the driver actually committing a moving traffic offense!"
Just because they have not committed an offense when stopped does not mean they are sober and have not previously committed one or won't later

I agree with what you say, but Topgun has got a point. Two weeks ago at 1am on a Sunday morning, I was driving through Old Pafos with my wife in the car and two friends. I was asked if I had drunk alcohol, and said yes, I had one alcohol drink between 9.00 - 9.30 and then on soft drinks rest of night, as I always do when out. I was breathalysed, and obviously it came out ok, and I had no objection to being stopped. Went up the road to drop our two passengers off, and within no more than 5 minutes was stopped when going back down the road by the same policeman. I told him that he had only breathalysed me 5 minutes ago, and he had asked my name on each occasion. He started getting arsy, so did another test, which obviously was ok - again. So Topgun is correct when he states about harrassment.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:03 am 
Rock Star

Quote:

Zorba,
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't this how UK police are supposed act, to react only to a moving traffic offence, or obvious evidence of drunken driving?

Not to 'pot a red & then go for a colour' just to eleviate their boredom!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:34 am 
Rock Star

thought we were talking about Cypriot police, however I have been stopped in UK for a breathalyser test without committing any offense.
From the UK Gov site:
2. Breath tests
The police can stop you at any time and ask you to take a breath test (‘breathalyse’ you) if:
they think you’ve been drinking
you’ve committed a traffic offence
you’ve been involved in a road traffic accident

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:37 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
thought we were talking about Cypriot police, however I have been stopped in UK for a breathalyser test without committing any offense.

Yes I was!

I was alluding to the UK police 'code of practice' as a basis for judgement, since IMHO they are far more professional & experienced than the those I've encountered thus far in Cyprus.

If, as you say, you were stopped & breathalised in the UK without committing any offence, then could it have been attributed to the manner in which you were driving that gave them cause to think you drunk?

My point is (as WD realised), the police here in Cyprus do so with little, or no justifiable reason. Hence my case for classifying their action as harassment

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body