Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:09 pm 
Top of the pops

I am posting this because although I realise it only affects a minute proportion of the people who read PP, it does actually affect a handful of us. I also feel in need of a rant, so I am on my soapbox. Stop reading now if you are not interested.

A chance conversation with a total stranger revealed that the bread I have been eating for the last couple of months is, in fact, NOT gluten free. It appears that it may be wheat free, but it does contain Rye.

I am more than annoyed about this because I was assured by the owner of the bakery that it is gluten free. I have yet to confront him, but another source has told me that this bread contains rye, and that the bakery owner admitted this to them. I will investigate this thoroughly when I am able.

As a consequence I have been looking further afield and Zorba's bakery supply gluten free bread to order. It costs around €3.40 for a small loaf which is baked in Larnaca. When you collect it they offer to slice it - which suggests that if the bakers understand about cross-contamination, the shop staff don't. :roll:

Some people can tolerate the gluten in Rye, but it can make others extremely ill. None compliance can lead to life threatening conditions, so this is something that should not be taken lightly.

For my part I have been strict to the point of obsession about deleting gluten from my diet (well, I wanted that ulcer to heal as I didn't like being told that it was about to eat into a major artery) and this problem with the bread has upset me as it has put me in a difficult position as I am not responding as my doctor expected. Maybe excluding this bread will show an improvement, but I have been off it for almost two weeks now and am experiencing the same problems. The ulcer has healed, but the symptoms have not gone and the weight loss continues slowly.

Does anyone know of a GOOD gastroenterologist in Cyprus? One who might understand Coeliac's. The Cypriot dietician I was referred to is very nice, but doesn't understand the conditon. And just when I think I understand it I get sent down another blind alley.

If another person - who doesn't have Coeliac's - tells me that it is easy to live with as there are loads of foods that you can eat, I will scream at them. Try eating out with friends several times a week, and you will see what you CAN'T have. Then tell me you would be happy to stick to that forever. :evil: Think about half a dozen things that you really enjoy, then think about NEVER being able to have them again. I can assure you that you wouldn't want a sandwich made with this gluten free bread. :evil: And then think how you would feel if you had been following a strict diet in good faith, only to find out that you had been told an untruth. Now I really do feel mad!

I keep trying to think of two thirds of the world who don't have the option for food choices, but it is not working. It must be hormonal influences that are dragging me down.

I am just a little fed up at the moment - as you can probably tell. :oops: At least this rant has got it off my chest a little.

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. Image

http://coecyp.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:00 pm 

hi verity, my wife is also ceoliac and eats gluton free bread from local baker please let us know the outcome just pm if you prefer, regards bill.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:21 am 
Rock Star

Hi Verity

I do not have coeliac disease but i can understand how mad you are thinking you were eating gluten free bread only to find you were not. I am diabetic and have had people in the past tell me they have given me diet coke as a mixer only to find they have not and I was furious. They do not realise how dangerous it is. I also get really made when I hear of people putting alcohol in other peoples drinks that they do not know about. I wouldn't like to be in the bakers shoes when you confront him but if he has been doing this you will have every right right to be so annoyed.

Tough times dont last long but tough people do

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:56 am 
Top of the pops

Hi Bill, I will let you know. If I forget (I am forty-ten - that is my excuse :lol: ) just give me a nudge.

Maybe the baker doesn't understand the difference between wheat free and gluten free. Just maybe I ought to take him the pictures of what my gut looked like and he may then understand why I feel so cross!

Ah well, now I know I can start again I suppose.

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. Image

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:46 am 
Master

Hi Verity

I can imagine your disappointment with the baker, he obviously doesn't realise what serious damage he could do by giving you false information.

What about getting a bread machine and making your own bread with gluten free flour (I have seen it in Metro and Carrefour) http://www.cookingbread.com/gluten_free.html

HTH

Carollynne

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:50 am 
Top of the pops

I am ahead of you there Carollyne. I have a bread maker. The problem is sourcing the correct flour. I have tried the packet mix by Orgran and you can use the resultant loaf to build a wall. :!: It doesn't go brown if you toast it either.

I am looking into getting GF bread flour sent over via BFPO. I can hardly ask friends to bring it out with them - just think of the excess baggage costs. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:58 am 
Regular

Hi Verity,

Have you tried adding a yeast enhancer, back in the bad old days I used to work on a holiday centre, and the chef gave me some to improve my home made bread. I think that it was vitamin C - that may give the yeast the boost you need to get the necessary rise. The bakers here probably would have some available as I have not seen any in Paps etc.

Digby
PS. did you get my email re. taverna club?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:03 am 
Top of the pops

Hi Digby. Thanks for that advice. I have also spoken with the Pieman in Geroskipou who will bake me GF pies if I provide the flour, so that was a good bit of information, too.

Sorry - no email came through. You might be better pm'ing me as I am not getting all my emails for some reason.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:04 am 

hi verity, thanks for your reply we are obviously referring to the same baker, we could not believe our luck when we found out a baker close by was doing gluton free bread, but here we go again, we completely understand your anger about this and indeed share it,

if it is true about the rye, then he has not done his reseach properly before putting this product on the market, and that is unforgivable, if you would like us to confront him as well please say, otherwise we will wait till we hear from you. regards bill/margaret. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:17 am 
Top of the pops

Hi Bill,

I have spoken with the baker today and he says there is no rye in his bread. He buys the flour in as a gluten free mix. He seems to have an understanding of what I was talking about, so now I am really confused.

It is good bread, and edible - which is unusual for gluten free bread as it is quite dry and crumbly as there is nothing to hold it together. :roll:

What he did say is that some people may be sensitive to the soya that is in it - but I am not too convinced about that really. I will pm you and keep in touch.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:13 pm 
Top of the pops

A couple of things here.
Firstly Verity, please keep us updated on your conflict.

Secondly on a positive and constructive note, can we insert a new subject/sticky/whatever giving information of suppliers who have gluten free products and suppliers of pther specialities. We have customers arriving in July who have a party member who suffers this and I dont want her to do a funny un in my accommodation.

Also it brings forward the question, should coeliacs and similar intolerance issues be declared to your insurer before your policy/trip starts.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:27 pm 
Idol

Hi Verity
Really shocked about the bread. I found some gluten free Jaffa Cakes in UK would some help cheer you up ?

(10 weeks 6 days till I can bring them)

[What if the Hokey cokey is what it's all about

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:25 pm 
Top of the pops

Bev - yummy! And I am looking into the bread thing as no-one can confirm anything and the information is conflicting.

Tanny - no need to declare Coeliac's to an insurer. If you stick to a GF diet you will be fine. I don't get any symptoms. Or rather, I don't get symptoms that cause me too much of a problem. But some people have terrible upset stomachs if they eat a product that contains gluten. The problem is the long term scenario if you are eating a diet with gluten in it and you are Coeliac's. This can lead to ulcers (which I had) or cancer of the stomach or small intestine. So that is why I am upset at the confusion over the content of the bread. I am still losing weight and still get pain and my doctor is concerned. More tests on the horizon. :roll: Thankfully I have some supportive friends here as it is beginning to get to me a bit. They keep me smiling though.

I am in the process of compiling information on what GF foodstuffs are available in Cyprus, but as nothing seems consistent it is not easy. You just have to buy it when you see it, even if you still have some left.

Zorbas bakery, of which there are three in Pafos, does GF bread but you have to go in and order it. It is baked in Larnaca and gets sent to Pafos. There is a website with phone numbers, but blowed if I can find it now. I will post it if I get the right site.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:51 pm 
Top of the pops

Thanks Verity, I look forward to that.

Live your dreams.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body