The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why do they do it !?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:26 pm 
Regular

Earlier in the week we decided to have a drink "down town" to meet up with some family and see some entertainment. After a couple of drinks it we noticed that the place we were in wasn't getting too busy so decided to leave.

Mrs Daz paid the bill while I nipped to the loo and when I came back she was sat there with a Euro, when I asked what it was for she said it was the change from 10 Euro so she decided to mention it to the bar owner..... sorry he said but you gave me a fiver to which he was corrected and promptly handed over another 5 Euro.....

Now, 9 Euro for two pints and a small bottle of water is definitely too dear especially as they pride themselves on thier excellent prices....and 4 EURO was definitely too cheap !

It just seems to me that he thought we were just a couple oh holidaymakers and thought he could make a quick buck!

Post subject: Re: Why do they do it !?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:00 pm 
Master

Name and shame

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:01 pm 
Star

Especially for drinks, people need to check the menu before they order.
Unless you frequent the place on a regular basis, being an expat doesn't entitle you to a discount.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:28 pm 
Regular

Uncle D wrote:
being an expat doesn't entitle you to a discount.

I wasn't expecting a discount - nor was i expecting to be ripped off !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:09 am 
Star

Sorry, it looks like I have miss read your post.
Being short changed happens all the time, not just in Cyprus. Sometimes its a genuine mistake, sometimes it is stealing. On the other hand it can also go the other way and people may be given too much change, but that doesn't seem to happen as often.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:49 am 
Top of the pops

Daz wrote:
Uncle D wrote:
being an expat doesn't entitle you to a discount.

I wasn't expecting a discount - nor was i expecting to be ripped off !

If they had given you too much change (in error) would you have brought it to their
attention?
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:29 am 
Regular

Yes Geoffreys I would have done if it had been a genuine error..... But this was a totally different situation of blatant over charging and then, when rumbled, undercharged us by trying to pretend he made an error with the size of the note given.

I can't name and shame because the thread will be pulled !!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:05 am 
Star

"tourists"are overcharged sometimes anywhere in the world.We where once in London getting a taxi from our hotel to a theatre.The fare was 14 quid.We hailed a taxi back from the theatre to the hotel.The fare 26 quid.He obviousley sussed our very northern accent and took us all round London to get back :-(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:44 am 
Regular

During the last week 16 of us decided that we would have Sunday lunch out somewhere and were thinking of somewhere to go. A couple of the party mentioned this bar, when I told them the story they changed their mind immediately.

Seems that by trying to scam an extra €3/4 out of us on the previous visit backfired on them a little and cost them considerably more.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:19 pm 
Forum Admin

Daz wrote:
Earlier in the week we decided to have a drink "down town" to meet up with some family and see some entertainment. After a couple of drinks it we noticed that the place we were in wasn't getting too busy so decided to leave.

Mrs Daz paid the bill while I nipped to the loo and when I came back she was sat there with a Euro, when I asked what it was for she said it was the change from 10 Euro so she decided to mention it to the bar owner..... sorry he said but you gave me a fiver to which he was corrected and promptly handed over another 5 Euro.....

Now, 9 Euro for two pints and a small bottle of water is definitely too dear especially as they pride themselves on thier excellent prices....and 4 EURO was definitely too cheap !

It just seems to me that he thought we were just a couple oh holidaymakers and thought he could make a quick buck!

where was this ??

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:31 pm 

It seems a pointless thread unless you tell us where it was. :doh If you are concerned about the post being pulled (I can only think of 1 person you might be referring to) then send me a PM and I will take responsibility for naming them. :grin:

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:05 pm 
Regular

Neil, it was a place called the (deleted by Daz)

Last edited by Daz on Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:07 pm 
Rock Star

So what did it say on the receipt, which the bar is legally required to give you !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:12 pm 
Regular

There was no receipt given....... Perhaps a lesson to us both !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:19 pm 
Forum Admin

Daz wrote:

Well !!
I must have missed this the first time round,
I have no recollection of this event at all , which you posted last year,
I noticed you never spoke to me persoanly about this and just decided to have a cheap shot at me on here.

for your info, yes , 2 beers can easy cost 7.00 euros some even more and a bottle of water 1.70 , so theres 8.70 ?
so if you got 1 euro then another fiver after you pointed out the mistake and you never mentioned it to me
then you are the one who has robbed me ..
please feel free to drop in and pay back what you owe ..
(on second thoughts keep it and dont ever set foot in my place again)
I can assure you that I have never tried to make (A quick buck) out of any my customers nor ever would ..

please think yourself lucky that we have a word censor on here or I would tell you what I really
thought of you .

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:13 am 

Daz wrote:
Dave, you pm'd at the time and I told you where it was and who was serving that time.

I concur that you did send me a PM with the name of the Bar and I respected the fact it was a Private Message and never said anything to Neil.
I presumed (wrongly it seems) having said your piece including dropping veiled hints to who it might be when asked to name them “I can't name and shame because the thread will be pulled !!!!” that was an end to it but no, it appears you didn’t get closure and felt it was right to have another go 6 months after the event with a ‘who’s sorry now’ post?
The bar has now been named and your post hasn’t been taken down.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:35 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
2 beers can easy cost 7.00 euros some even more and a bottle of water 1.70

I agree "2 beers can easily cost 7 euro's", but as the price is set by the bar owner, do they really need to?
Plus " a bottle of water for 1.7 euro's", the size of the bottle is not given, but anyone can buy water in a supermarket around 1.60 euro's for 6x1.5L bottles!

A ridiculous mark-up IMHO, but your business is not the only one doing this, why?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:27 am 
Top of the pops

Businesses have to mark up....they have rent, staff wages to pay, taxes to pay, electricity and bills to pay etc as well as purchase price

If you don,t like the mark ups...then stay home and enjoy your drinks from the supermarket

The business has to make money or no point in being open

And as for the opening post...mistakes can and do happen and not because you are a tourist

Last edited by migmogs on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:28 am 
Star

Some bars/restaraunts make a fortune on water, they collect the empty used ones, then top them up with tap water, they probably don't even clean them for fear that the label will come off, then they open the bottle before passing it to you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:31 am 
Top of the pops

Uncle D wrote:
Some bars/restaraunts make a fortune on water, they collect the empty used ones, then top them up with tap water, they probably don't even clean them for fear that the label will come off, then they open the bottle before passing it to you.

How do you know that?

Have you seen it done...or are you surmising?

In all of our years here ...we have never seen this done

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:37 am 

Uncle D wrote:

Bit of a sweeping statement...I don't suppose you want to name and shame these establishments where YOU have seen this done :huff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:48 am 
Star

Of course, I havent seen bottles being filled from the tap.
But I have been told by an ex employee of the waiting trade that it is quite a common practice.
In case that you haven't noticed, when a bottle is opened, there is crack as the seal is broken. In some places I haven't heard this crack and wondered if the water is tap or not.
Also in one establishment the waiter forgot to pre open the bottle and hey presto when I opened it there was no crack.
That's not surmising, its called suspicion and proof.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:51 am 
Star

M.A.D wrote:
Uncle D wrote:

Bit of a sweeping statement...I don't suppose you want to name and shame these establishments where YOU have seen this done :huff

No, I wont be naming and shaming. Its up to the individual to decide if this is correct or not, maybe some may listen for the crack.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:06 am 
Regular

Edited by Daz

Last edited by Daz on Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:10 am 

I must admit Dennis to never having heard the crack of a bottle of water being opened mainly because my preferred liquid of refreshment normally comes out a barrel and into a pint glass. :grin: :pint

I have however on 1 occasion had an opened bottle of wine arrive at the table which was duly sent back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:02 pm 
Im I missing something here, 2 pints and a bottle of water and change from a fiver....and people complain...reminds me of a time I was sitting in a restaurant in Larnaca, when i heard the conversation from the next table, the manager/owner was waiting with his pad to take an order from a loud expat and his wife, five euro for a pork chop, you effing aving a laugh says the big mouth, I can get them for a euro each from the butchers, rip or what he says looking round at us for support , at that point the manager takes the menus off him and his wife, starts to clear the table, and says to him, theres a good butcher shop around the corner, goodbye sir, never seen anyone put in their place like that.... :clap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:04 pm 
Top of the pops

I also have found several restaurants using TAP water. Yes there is a crack when the bottled water is opened at the table. We now tell the waiting staff to bring us an UN-OPENED bottle of water. Works for us. :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:07 pm 
Major

Last week we stopped in the services on the motorway between Limassol and Nicosia - the McDonalds.
I handed over a 50 Euro note for 23 Euros of food and was shortchanged by ten Euros. When I pointed it
out the girl immediately gave me another 10 Euro note. Difficult to say for certain whether it was deliberate
but I'm fairly sure it was.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:10 pm 
Top of the pops

Quote:
Im I missing something here, 2 pints and a bottle of water and change from a fiver....and people complain

Clearly you do not drink in the North!!! :crylaughin :rocky

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:25 pm 
Forum Admin

Daz wrote:
Quote:
2 beers can easy cost 7.00 euros some even more and a bottle of water 1.70 , so theres 8.70 ?

I agree, they can.... but not in your pub when you normally charge 2.50 (may be less) for a pint and 1.50 for water ?

Quote:
I noticed you never spoke to me personally about this and just decided to have a cheap shot at me on here.

My wife did at the time as it was her who paid... you snapped and said that she only gave you a fiver! I know and understand that mistake can be made so why not rectify it with the correct change instead of hiding behind the "you only gave me a fiver" excuse. ?

Quote:
Businesses have to mark up....they have rent, staff wages to pay, taxes to pay, electricity and bills to pay etc as well as purchase price

If you don,t like the mark ups...then stay home and enjoy your drinks from the supermarket

I am well aware how business works....I have my own ! (and no, I am not a bar / restaurant owner and am of no competition to Neil). We regularly eat out and usually pay between 2 & 4 euro a pint depending on where we are...if that's the published price then that's what we expect to pay, not advertise one price and try to charge another.

Quote:
it appears you didn’t get closure and felt it was right to have another go 6 months after the event with a ‘who’s sorry now’ post?

Closure ? This wasn't an unexplained death ! I was merely using it as a point to businesses in general never to attempt to scam someone as you'll never know when it'll come back and bite you.

Quote:
(on second thoughts keep it and dont ever set foot in my place again)

Quote:
please think yourself lucky that we have a word censor on here or I would tell you what I really
thought of you .

Very mature ! :there

I think you very mistaken , I never have and never will try to nick i quick buck
by short changing anyone.

but as I said please feel free to drop in and pay back what you owe me ..

what business did you say you had ???
and whats your real name ??

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:33 pm 
Top of the pops

Uncle D wrote:

So you make a "statement" like that. On what basis? Is it hearsay, or has it actually happened to you? If so state some specifics for a change, as it seems to me you are one of those on this website to cause trouble only, as you are doing on other threads.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:36 pm 
Top of the pops

Uncle D wrote:
But I have been told by an ex employee of the waiting trade that it is quite a common practice.
In case that you haven't noticed, when a bottle is opened, there is crack as the seal is broken. In some places I haven't heard this crack and wondered if the water is tap or not.
Also in one establishment the waiter forgot to pre open the bottle and hey presto when I opened it there was no crack.

Absolute crap. Not prepared to name and shame. What a waste of time!!! You state "PROOF" . Without any evidence. Hope you have never been on a jury in Britain!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:38 pm 
Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:42 pm 
Star

Wavy Dave wrote:
Uncle D wrote:

Absolute crap. Not prepared to name and shame. What a waste of time!!! You state "PROOF" . Without any evidence. Hope you have never been on a jury in Britain!!

Isnt swearing banned on this site?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:52 pm 
Top of the pops

Uncle D wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:
Uncle D wrote:

Isnt swearing banned on this site?

Is that your wonderful answer to your libellous accusations. Look the word crap up. It is a slang word, not a swear word. Ever since you came on this site you have consistently posted to cause trouble. It is an INFORMATION site.
M.A.D For the benefit of "Uncle D" could you please clarify if the word "crap" is a swear word please?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:17 pm 
Star

I have posted an observation that I have made, that has been backed up by one other poster.
I did not name and shame as that would be libelous.
When was the last time I caused any trouble on this site?

Last edited by Uncle D on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:21 pm 
Top of the pops

Uncle D wrote:
When was the last time I caused trouble?

So you won't divulge what restaurant you are talking about, and you expect me to answer that question for you!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:26 pm 
Star

Wavy Dave wrote:
Uncle D wrote:

So you won't divulge what restaurant you are talking about, and you expect me to answer that question for you!!!

I will answer it for you then, I wont deny ever causing trouble, but I have not for a long time. Though it appears that you have managed to turn an observation that I have made into trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:56 pm 
Top of the pops

Uncle D wrote:
Wavy Dave wrote:
Uncle D wrote:

I will answer it for you then, I wont deny ever causing trouble, but I have not for a long time. Though it appears that you have managed to turn an observation that I have made into trouble.

Well, I don't appear to be the only one on this thread who thinks as I do. Have you read comments from others?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:25 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
Have you read comments from others?

I have WD & taken note of the 'sharp practices' identified.

The bullying nature of certain responses also tells me all I need to know about their mindset as business owners - my advice would be to take your business elsewhere.
There are places that charge reasonable prices & provide value, however, as this thread has highlighted, you do need to search them out.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body