The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CY MAIL TODAY
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:44 pm 
Idol

I have just sent this to the editor after reading the article stating Paramedics will be on the road in 18 months, REALLY

Dear Sir,
Regarding the article referring to Paramedics in Saturday 10 May edition.
I feel I must question the timescale stated.
Anywhere else in Europe it takes a minimum of 3 years to reach Paramedic status, how this is going to happen in Cyprus 18 months from now with no training infrastructure in place albeit promised with a school and Ambulance stations yet to be built or area decide upon is a mystery.
You cannot train someone for 18 months then throw them into an Ambulance and call them a Paramedic, on the road is where the real training starts.
I would suggest the first step should be to put Paramedics into the Health Ministry organogram, as nothing is mentioned at this time.
After training, those that qualify by passing exams and practical procedures should then be named as Ambulance Technicians not Paramedics, with 18 months further training split between classroom and Ambulance station, from there those that have reached the required standard would then be eligible to take the Paramedic examination.
I have spoken in the past to both Mr Savvides previous Health Minister and Mr Andreas Kouppis, Chief Ambulance Officer, however nothing came of that, I will try and get an appointment with the Health Minister and offer my services as before.

In Arduis Fidelis

Post subject: Re: CY MAIL TODAY
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:03 pm 
Top of the pops

Well John, Cypriot trained nurses and midwives are not up to EU standards according to a report submitted following an EU inspection. Looks like they were thinking of training Paramedics to Cypriot standards, not EU standards too. The infrastructure is different here though, so the needs have been assessed differently in the past. As I have said before, entry into the EU means that change will have to occur - and that has not been forced by moaning ex-pats, it has been forced by Cyprus joining the EU.

Maybe they meant that if they start training now there will be better qualified personel on the roads in 18 months. Or maybe they are going to employ people who already have the paramedic qualification. Or maybe I am just being too kind. :roll:

Just in case anyone thinks I am Cyprus-bashing, I am not. I knew what the situation was like when I moved here, and I have no qualms about living up in the sticks. But if there is movement to bring improvement of a service I just hope it is implemented professionally and completely. Otherwise it is only empty rhetoric.

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. Image

http://coecyp.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:39 pm 
Idol

That is my concern, to stick a few people on the road after minimal training could cause more deaths, a little knowledge is dangerous.

I appreciate the standard will certainly be different to anywhere else, if that is the case, there is no way they can be called Paramedics, thats why I suggested Technicians, which again should be an improvement on what we have now.

They were advised over 15 years ago to improve the Ambulance service prior to being allowed into the EU, this has not been done, I went back to 2000 in the CY Mail archives and found all the articles referring to this subject and there are plenty.

Certainly not knocking the Cypriots, especially as the UK had no Paramedics in the NHS prior to 1991 and there was the scoop and run technique.

The week before I left we came across a road accident, only one lady that had fallen off her moped in front of a car, no collision, stopped, got the gloves on, airway, and a person saying she was a doctor turned up, took the collar from me, then could not get it on, no gloves, never checked eyes, airway, further injuries etc, so my point is if you are not trained for this type of thing then do not interfere with someone who is, only thing left was I went and directed traffic till the Ambulance eventually arrived.

In Arduis Fidelis

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:40 pm 
Top of the pops

The doctor couldn't have understood what a paramedic does. I would happily assist a paramedic at an RTA rather than take the lead as they would have more day to day experience and skills for the situation. The only time I would shove a paramedic out of the way is if I was present when a lady was delivering - then I would expect the paramedic to assist me. I would be in my comfort zone there. :lol:

And you are right - when I started nurse training there were no paramedics.

Cyprus will evolve, just as every other country does. They are just all at different stages.

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. Image

http://coecyp.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:27 pm 
Idol

Evening Verity,

I have done my share of Baby Catching, however I would gladly hand over to someone better qualified and assist as required, makes sense really.

In Arduis Fidelis

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:52 pm 
Idol

hi verity and paramed!
this is very interesting to read as a nurse working in the uk!( hoping to work in cyprus one day!)
i would hope with 18 months training these workers will not be paramedics...it is quite a scary thought to think that in just 18 months they could be proficient in the skills of intubation and thrombolysis for example, although i guess thrombolysis (on the road) may be a while down the line in cyprus if they are still using scoop and run tactics... paramedics or whatever title they get!!!

maybe i could retrain as a paramedic... i already have great clinical skills and i am an ALS provider..mmmmm might be worth thinking about!!!

kathryn

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:08 am 
Idol

Evening Katpen,

This is exactly what we are saying, you cannot take someone from the street with very little or no training at all and turn them into Paramedics in 18 months, as I said before there is no infrastructure now, so when does the 18 months start from.

I respectfully submitted that maybe a qualification as an Ambulance technician would be about the limit in that time, and that is stretching the point.

You can have a job with us if you are coming to Paphos

In Arduis Fidelis

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:14 am 
Idol

john,
i have to say i totally agree with you it scares me to death to think what these people will and will not be allowed to do. the cyprus government need to give themselves a shake and look at this properly after all it is our lives in their hands...so to speak!
dont tempt me with job offers......i actually felt excited at the prospect of it!!!

kathryn

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:16 am 
Idol

I don't mind employing East Coasters.

Job offer is serious, whenever we are running there will be plenty of shifts to fill

In Arduis Fidelis

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:26 am 
Idol

john,
food for thought!! well i am out in 6 weeks so might be worth getting a chat with some one... you know how us east coasters like to chat!!!! been having a look at your website!
anyway better get back on thread or we will be in trouble!!!!...stop talking job offers!! :lol:
kathryn

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:31 am 
Idol

I am back here from 03-17 June so should be back for my 3 weeks off as you arrive, you know how to contact us, anyone is more than welcome to visit.

In Arduis Fidelis

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body