Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:39 pm 
Top of the pops

I have become aware of a few immigration items that may be of interest to some.

Firstly, it has been an issue for some time whereby someone waiting for their yellow slip (this applies mainly to non-EU spouses where the wait can be 5 to 6 months) has been unable to leave the island, due to not having a yellow slip to show in order to regain entry. The rules have changed so that the pink receipt issued by immigration can be now used for this purpose.

Secondly, if you are waiting for your yellow slip (as above), or are waiting for a permanent yellow slip (MEU3), you can now check it's status instead of waiting and wondering what is happening. You send a free text message to 8999. The message should consist of the word STATUS then leave a space and add the number of your application. The application number can be found on the receipt which you received at the time you applied (e.g STATUS 012345/2016). You will receive back an automated reply stating what stage it has reached.

Thirdly, If you have applied for permanent residency (the MEU3 form), you have to collect it from the immigration department in Nicosia. This is because it has to be signed for. You must take your existing yellow slip (MEU1 or MEU2a) with you as you have to hand this in at the same time.

Finally, it's always a problem knowing who to contact in immigration. Here is the published list of names and numbers - http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/crmd/crmd.nsf ... enDocument

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:28 pm 
Top of the pops

Josef K wrote:
I have become aware of a few immigration items that may be of interest to some.

Firstly, it has been an issue for some time whereby someone waiting for their yellow slip (this applies mainly to non-EU spouses where the wait can be 5 to 6 months) has been unable to leave the island, due to not having a yellow slip to show in order to regain entry. The rules have changed so that the pink receipt issued by immigration can be now used for this purpose.

Secondly, if you are waiting for your yellow slip (as above), or are waiting for a permanent yellow slip (MEU3), you can now check it's status instead of waiting and wondering what is happening. You send a free text message to 8999. The message should consist of the word STATUS then leave a space and add the number of your application. The application number can be found on the receipt which you received at the time you applied (e.g STATUS 012345/2016). You will receive back an automated reply stating what stage it has reached.

Thirdly, If you have applied for permanent residency (the MEU3 form), you have to collect it from the immigration department in Nicosia. This is because it has to be signed for. You must take your existing yellow slip (MEU1 or MEU2a) with you as you have to hand this in at the same time.

Finally, it's always a problem knowing who to contact in immigration. Here is the published list of names and numbers - http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/crmd/crmd.nsf ... enDocument

I have a yellow slip (MEU1 route) valid indefinitely.
Can you (or anyone reading this thread) tell me the advantage/s of applying for permanent residency (MEU3 route) over what I have now?
Thanks,
Geoff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:46 pm 
Star

Thank you Joseph K; we drove up to Nicosia a couple of weeks ago to check the progress of our Permanent Residency Applications and were only told up to six months wait.. Will check out this new service. My wife had a Yellow Slip which ran out in December so we can't go anywhere until she is issued a new Residency. I forgot to say that you are correct about being able to leave on the strength of the receipt but the problem is trying to get back; it's not Immigration that's the problem it's the airlines will not let you travel without a valid visa or residency certificate.

The benefit of the MU3 is more for my wife as presently we have to renew her Residency every five years and also it allows more time outside the country.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:09 pm 
Top of the pops

Jim B wrote:
Thank you Joseph K; we drove up to Nicosia a couple of weeks ago to check the progress of our Permanent Residency Applications and were only told up to six months wait.. Will check out this new service. My wife had a Yellow Slip which ran out in December so we can't go anywhere until she is issued a new Residency. I forgot to say that you are correct about being able to leave on the strength of the receipt but the problem is trying to get back; it's not Immigration that's the problem it's the airlines will not let you travel without a valid visa or residency certificate.

The benefit of the MU3 is more for my wife as presently we have to renew her Residency every five years and also it allows more time outside the country.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I can see the benefit of MEU3 over MEU1 for your good lady.
But for me what is the advantage? I wasn't aware I was restricted on how much time I can spend outside the Country - what such limitation applies to me? Not that I normally leave the country anyway and intend to be buried here (NOT cremated if that becomes an option) when I pass on.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:43 pm 
Top of the pops

Geoff I am sure you asked this same question on Eastern a couple of years back. However the answer is quickly found with a google search - first item.
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/re ... dex_en.htm

Interesting Jim it seems Cyprus is again trying to complicate the application process. We complained to the European Commission about 18 months back and got a reply last week. It seems Immigration just blamed their Paphos office for not understanding the EU directive. Cyprus got a very mild slap on the wrist from the EU, so obviously immigration have found otherways to complicate and delay.

I would be reluctant to hand over the MEU1a because Citizens Document centre do not recognise the MEU3a for a health card, at least they didn't last month.
As usual Paphos Gov departments (and Banks) interpret rules differently to other cities and the rules change day to day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:14 pm 
Top of the pops

Polemi Dave wrote:
Geoff I am sure you asked this same question on Eastern a couple of years back. However the answer is quickly found with a google search - first item.
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/re ... dex_en.htm

Interesting Jim it seems Cyprus is again trying to complicate the application process. We complained to the European Commission about 18 months back and got a reply last week. It seems Immigration just blamed their Paphos office for not understanding the EU directive. Cyprus got a very mild slap on the wrist from the EU, so obviously immigration have found otherways to complicate and delay.

I would be reluctant to hand over the MEU1a because Citizens Document centre do not recognise the MEU3a for a health card, at least they didn't last month.
As usual Paphos Gov departments (and Banks) interpret rules differently to other cities and the rules change day to day.

I did indeed, but got no definitive answer - the link you give doesn't either.
However it does say that once granted it must be renewed every 10 years - a real pain.
Also, you suggest we would not be able to renew our Cyprus Health cards - another real (and expensive = private health insurance) pain!
I cannot see any point, therefore, in either myself or my wife going down the MEU3 route,
even though both of us have resided here for 13 years (>5 years) so are eligible.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:14 am 
Top of the pops

Geoff
The Cyprus MEU3a has no end date.
As we had MEU1a and have not been asked to return them, we did not push the point at Paphos Citizens centre. No doubt after a call to Nicosia it would have been sorted.

If UK leaves EU you may be sorry you did not get the MEU3a, particularly if they start asking you to renew your non community permits every year or so - or indeed show health cover every certificates every year. Maybe even charging more for local community taxes as they did before.
The MEU3a is a guarantee you can be treated no different to a Cypriot, even in the commercial world. Have you ever noticed "offers only available to permanent residents".

However you are a big Victor M and you need to make your own choices in life.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:23 pm 
Graduate

My wife who is non-eu, also has a MEU/1 (yellow slip) which was issued for 5 years. It is valid until 2018. We are planning to return to her country for a while and are wondering if there is a maximum length of time that we can stay out of Cyprus. We will need to come back using her existing residency. We have done this twice before, but on previous occasions our visits have not been for more than 2 month. On arrival immigration only checked that her MEU/1 was valid. This next visit will be for longer. If there is a limit on the time allowed out of country, how would they know how long she has been out?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:46 pm 
Top of the pops

Polemi Dave wrote:
Geoff
The Cyprus MEU3a has no end date.
As we had MEU1a and have not been asked to return them, we did not push the point at Paphos Citizens centre. No doubt after a call to Nicosia it would have been sorted.

If UK leaves EU you may be sorry you did not get the MEU3a, particularly if they start asking you to renew your non community permits every year or so - or indeed show health cover every certificates every year. Maybe even charging more for local community taxes as they did before.
The MEU3a is a guarantee you can be treated no different to a Cypriot, even in the commercial world. Have you ever noticed "offers only available to permanent residents".

However you are a big Victor M and you need to make your own choices in life.

The link you gave in your previous post says the MEU3 valid for 10 years only.
Hence my query.
As the MEU1 is valid indefinitely no reason why the MEU3 wouldn't be also.
You are worrying without any substantiated justification about the BREXIT. Pure scaremongering speculation! You must have been listening to David Cameron, and believing him.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:59 pm 
Idol

I'm beginning to listen to Donald Trump :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:38 pm 
Star

geoffreys wrote:
As the MEU1 is valid indefinitely no reason.......
Geoff.

Unfortunately not for everyone; read Screaming Eagles post and there is a limit to the amount of time a non EU Citizen with an MU/1 can leave the country for.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:20 pm 
Top of the pops

Jim B wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
As the MEU1 is valid indefinitely no reason.......
Geoff.

Unfortunately not for everyone; read Screaming Eagles post and there is a limit to the amount of time a non EU Citizen with an MU/1 can leave the country for.

Jim

Yes, agreed. But like him I would be interested to know how long that is.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:40 pm 
Top of the pops

geoffreys wrote:

As I have already posted the MEU3a IN CYPRUS has no end date - MEU3 is for non EU nationals
geoffreys wrote:
You are worrying without any substantiated justification about the BREXIT. Pure scaremongering speculation! You must have been listening to David Cameron, and believing him.
Geoff.

Quite wrong Geoff, I am not worrying about Brexit or otherwise. I have the permanent residency, I have nothing to worry about. I am not "scaremongering" either. As no one knows if UK will exit or not or indeed what arrangements will be made, there are many "ifs". :sunny
By taking permanent residency my wife and I have eliminated as many "ifs" as possible. I can't say I care if you or anyone else goes down the EU permanent residency route.
Just a final thought for you Geoff, Cyprus Immigration makes it as difficult as they legally can for EU citizens to get the MEU3a. They take as longer as they legally can (and then another few months) to issue the certificate. At €20 a person would you not think they might see this as a nice little earner, unless of course the forms conveys more EU rights that Cyprus Immigration is happy with?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:08 pm 
Star

Below is the length of time a non EU Citizen with Permanent Residency can stay outside Cyprus, 3 months rings a bell for temporay Residency. EU law states that Permanent Residency will be issued within two months but Nicosia are giving a figure of six months.

Permanent Residency for Non EU Citizens
The validity of the residence card shall not be affected by temporary absences not exceeding six months in a year, or by absences of a longer duration for compulsory military service or by one absence of a maximum of 12 consecutive months for important reasons such as pregnancy and childbirth, serious illness, study or vocational training, or a posting in another Member State or a third country.

Just got a response back for the SMS sent, just said "Your Application is under examination by the relevant Authority". I knew that.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:04 pm 
Top of the pops

Polemi Dave wrote:
geoffreys wrote:

As I have already posted the MEU3a IN CYPRUS has no end date - MEU3 is for non EU nationals
geoffreys wrote:
Geoff.

Quite wrong Geoff, I am not worrying about Brexit or otherwise. I have the permanent residency, I have nothing to worry about. I am not "scaremongering" either. As no one knows if UK will exit or not or indeed what arrangements will be made, there are many "ifs". :sunny
By taking permanent residency my wife and I have eliminated as many "ifs" as possible. I can't say I care if you or anyone else goes down the EU permanent residency route.
Just a final thought for you Geoff, Cyprus Immigration makes it as difficult as they legally can for EU citizens to get the MEU3a. They take as longer as they legally can (and then another few months) to issue the certificate. At €20 a person would you not think they might see this as a nice little earner, unless of course the forms conveys more EU rights that Cyprus Immigration is happy with?

OK, it just read as though you were scaremongering. As you say many 'ifs'.
I have absolutely no intention of applying for MEU3 etc.
Do you seriously think that if UK exits the EU that Cyprus will chuck us all out?
If they were so stupid, we would just go (over to the north).
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:05 pm 
Top of the pops

Jim B wrote:
Below is the length of time a non EU Citizen with Permanent Residency can stay outside Cyprus, 3 months rings a bell for temporay Residency. EU law states that Permanent Residency will be issued within two months but Nicosia are giving a figure of six months.

Permanent Residency for Non EU Citizens
The validity of the residence card shall not be affected by temporary absences not exceeding six months in a year, or by absences of a longer duration for compulsory military service or by one absence of a maximum of 12 consecutive months for important reasons such as pregnancy and childbirth, serious illness, study or vocational training, or a posting in another Member State or a third country.

Just got a response back for the SMS sent, just said "Your Application is under examination by the relevant Authority". I knew that.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the info.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:23 pm 
Top of the pops

geoffreys wrote:
Geoff.

Well that was a throw away line, if ever I saw one. "Like we will move to another forum."

I have family who actually live in the north Geoff. The rules and regulations they have to live with and the expense of yearly residence in TRNC is far beyond any regulations here. There is no security of residence beyond 1/2 years or any body to appeal to. I don't just mean hand in pocket for yearly residence, there are police reports, even regular HIV checks are needed for continued residence and it is year on year very expensive paper chase.

You might go north Geoff but your "we" would be rather singular I suspect.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:55 am 
Top of the pops

Polemi Dave wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
Geoff.

Well that was a throw away line, if ever I saw one. "Like we will move to another forum."

I have family who actually live in the north Geoff. The rules and regulations they have to live with and the expense of yearly residence in TRNC is far beyond any regulations here. There is no security of residence beyond 1/2 years or any body to appeal to. I don't just mean hand in pocket for yearly residence, there are police reports, even regular HIV checks are needed for continued residence and it is year on year very expensive paper chase.

You might go north Geoff but your "we" would be rather singular I suspect.

We = Myself and Carole my wife.
The regulations are if anything easier than this side, and if you are over 60 you only have to register the first year.
We have many friends over there Brit Expats, German expats, and TCs - all of whome can verify what I say.
As clearly a Cyprob settlement just ain't going to happen I reckon that side will take off.
But I imagine we will just have to agree to disagree about the TRNC.
Geoff.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body