Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paphos Airport Craziness
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:22 am 

I went to collect a friend from Paphos Airport at 6pm last night. I saw that there were 4 flights all arriving about the same time so knew it would be busy but WOW. My friend only had hand luggage and from getting on the transfer bus from the aircraft to coming through the door in arrivals..1hr 40 minutes!!! When he got off the bus, the end of the line for immigration was out on the tarmac…only 2 desks open :doh and they were meticulously checking all passports…

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:30 am 
Top of the pops

Welcome to the newer slick procedure for Paphos City of Culture 2017. I am sure a few more desks will be opened by then.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:59 am 
Top of the pops

M.A.D wrote:
I went to collect a friend from Paphos Airport at 6pm last night. I saw that there were 4 flights all arriving about the same time so knew it would be busy but WOW. My friend only had hand luggage and from getting on the transfer bus from the aircraft to coming through the door in arrivals..1hr 40 minutes!!! When he got off the bus, the end of the line for immigration was out on the tarmac…only 2 desks open :doh and they were meticulously checking all passports…

Let us hope they will be using the passport checks to weed out Expats who live here (over 3 months etc) but have not informed the UK Authorities, and so still claim some UK Benefits they are not entitled to, obtain EHIC card etc, and do not take out Cyprus residency, obligatory after 3 months (yellow slip), and avoid private health insurance costs here by using the EHIC card pretending to be visitors.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:52 pm 
Forum Admin

geoffreys wrote:
M.A.D wrote:

Let us hope they will be using the passport checks to weed out Expats who live here (over 3 months etc) but have not informed the UK Authorities, and so still claim some UK Benefits they are not entitled to, obtain EHIC card etc, and do not take out Cyprus residency, obligatory after 3 months (yellow slip), and avoid private health insurance costs here by using the EHIC card pretending to be visitors.
Geoff.

he he he he he .. you really are a Meldrew ... lol.lol.lol.

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:11 pm 
Top of the pops

For Neil:
I want to know who nicked my car and dumped it in Sweden............
:auto
Viktor.
(AKA Geoff!)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:55 pm 
Top of the pops

geoffreys wrote:
M.A.D wrote:

Geoff.

Geoff old mate. Please get a life!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:08 pm 
Regular

"Let us hope they will be using the passport checks to weed out Expats who live here (over 3 months etc) but have not informed the UK Authorities, and so still claim some UK Benefits they are not entitled to, obtain EHIC card etc, and do not take out Cyprus residency, obligatory after 3 months (yellow slip), and avoid private health insurance costs here by using the EHIC card pretending to be visitors."
Geoff.

Sorry but it seems I've totally lost the plot here.
For some reason I thought I could come out to Paphos and stay for an unlimited time (provided it was under 6 months overall in a financial year) without any bother, being treated as a visitor. The 3 months restriction being a thing of the past since Cyprus joined the EU?
So, are Geoff's comments correct?

TIA x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:18 pm 

Extract from the Government web site
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-cyprus

“Residency requirements
EU Citizens who wish to reside in the Republic of Cyprus for more than 3 months are required to apply for a residence permit (yellow slip). You can apply through the local immigration office of the Ministry of Interior Republic of Cyprus using form MEU1A. A fee is payable but the permit does not need to be renewed.”

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:20 pm 
Regular

Thanks Dave.
Appreciated. x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:44 pm 
Rock Star

Librarycat,

you may find the following link useful ... particularly page 13 - "Chapter 5 - The First 3 Months", page 14 - "Reporting Your Presence" and page 15 - "Chapter 6 - After 3 months"

http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/moi.nsf/all/A ... penelement

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:47 pm 
Regular

Thank you Kato Paphos.
Useful indeed, also appreciated. x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:10 am 
Top of the pops

M.A.D wrote:

“Residency requirements
EU Citizens who wish to reside in the Republic of Cyprus for more than 3 months are required to apply for a residence permit (yellow slip). You can apply through the local immigration office of the Ministry of Interior Republic of Cyprus using form MEU1A. A fee is payable but the permit does not need to be renewed.”

Thanks for that link, which also mentions what I said in my earlier post about the need
to take out Private Heath Insurance for individual stays not exceeding 3 months, and not more than 6 months (183 days) in any 12 month period (for Library cat: note NOT financial or calendar year).
You cannot legally use your EHIC card here after that initial stay.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:38 pm 
Rock Star

geoffreys wrote:
M.A.D wrote:

“Residency requirements

Thanks for that link, which also mentions what I said in my earlier post about the need
to take out Private Heath Insurance for individual stays not exceeding 3 months, and not more than 6 months (183 days) in any 12 month period (for Library cat: note NOT financial or calendar year).
Geoff.

Geoffreys, you have confused me. What is an "initial stay"?

What if you have a home in the UK but wish to spend up to 6 months of the year in your other home in Cyprus - can you still use your UK issued EIC card in Cyprus, and after you have reported your presence to the Cyprus authorities will they issue you with a "yellow slip"?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:46 pm 
Top of the pops

If the UK comes out of the EU, then the EHIC card will no linger be issued to UK citizens. I'm not sure if existing ones will remain valid until their expiry date.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:43 pm 
Rock Star

Josef K wrote:
If the UK comes out of the EU, then the EHIC card will no linger be issued to UK citizens. I'm not sure if existing ones will remain valid until their expiry date.

I suppose you could ask the same question of UK EU passports.

Its not going to happen anyway ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:04 pm 
Top of the pops

kato paphos wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
M.A.D wrote:

“Residency requirements

Geoff.

Geoffreys, you have confused me. What is an "initial stay"?

What if you have a home in the UK but wish to spend up to 6 months of the year in your other home in Cyprus - can you still use your UK issued EIC card in Cyprus, and after you have reported your presence to the Cyprus authorities will they issue you with a "yellow slip"?

OK. In any 12 months period you can stay up to 183 days, but no single visit can exceed 3 months without applying (you have to apply, immigration Dept) for residency (yellow slip).
My use of the word initial refers to that first stay. You could then, within the same 183 day period, come back on a second visit for 3 months.
Or you could come out on say 3 visits each of a month, within that 183 day period.
What you cannot do is come out for one visit of 6 months, or any period exceeding 3 months,
without applying for residency.
The same rules apply to the use of your EHIC card here.
You will find exactly how to apply for a yellow slip elsewhere on the forum I am sure - do a search.
Cheers,
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:25 pm 
Major

Can't work out how to delete this one.
I made a mistake with the quotes and couldn't edit it how I wanted so re-submitted it.

Sorry guys. X

Last edited by Linda28 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:35 pm 
Major

geoffreys wrote:

OK. In any 12 months period you can stay up to 183 days, but no single visit can exceed 3 months without applying (you have to apply, immigration Dept) for residency (yellow slip).
My use of the word initial refers to that first stay. You could then, within the same 183 day period, come back on a second visit for 3 months.
Or you could come out on say 3 visits each of a month, within that 183 day period.
What you cannot do is come out for one visit of 6 months, or any period exceeding 3 months,
without applying for residency.
The same rules apply to the use of your EHIC card here.
You will find exactly how to apply for a yellow slip elsewhere on the forum I am sure - do a search.
Cheers,
Geoff.
[/quote][/quote]

Thank you for clarifying. Haven't had the pleasure if staying that long yet with the boys still in school but one day.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:50 pm 
Top of the pops

For Linda28:-
you are most welcome, and hope you can move here for longer stay/s sooner rather than later.
Obtaining the Yellow Slip is quite straightforward - only problem might be the queue at
immigration. You need plenty of passport style photos, forget how many, 8 from memory.
Contrary to what some will tell you Immigration staff are very helpful, as in fact are
most Govt Depts; problem is they are very busy and often short of staff. Never lose your rag,
be patient and polite, and you'll have few problems.
Cheers,
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:26 am 

What a shambles at the airport last night. Our friend was returning to the UK and only had hand luggage so only had to go through security…the line was huge, stretching from security back past all the check in desks and doubling back on itself. :doh

Whilst he stood in line, we waiting to one side and watched the antics of the Cypriots trying to cut in, join their new friends near the head of the line, badger any official who would listen that they had been delayed and just had to get through security immediately. We even saw Cypriots ‘latching on’ to disabled travellers to ‘accompany’ them through the fast track security (the disability service providers were actually encouraging them) :roll:

A lot of tempers were being raised and we actually saw a shoving match happen :tickedoff

It’s still early in the season and it took over an hour for our friend to get through security….dread to think of the chaos during the height of the season!!! :rocky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:18 am 
Star

geoffreys wrote:
you are most welcome, and hope you can move here for longer stay/s sooner rather than later.
Obtaining the Yellow Slip is quite straightforward - only problem might be the queue at
immigration. You need plenty of passport style photos, forget how many, 8 from memory.
Contrary to what some will tell you Immigration staff are very helpful, as in fact are
most Govt Depts; problem is they are very busy and often short of staff. Never lose your rag,
Cheers,
Geoff.

Not the case nowadays, well certainly not in Pafos.
We have took friends to the immigration office for yellow slips on 2 occasions in the past 12 months and both times they were seen at the allotted appointment time. The first time they were the first in and there was no one else in the waiting room. You no longer need photos as they take your picture at the office.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:34 am 
Top of the pops

Uncle D wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
Cheers,
Geoff.

We have took friends to the immigration office for yellow slips on 2 occasions in the past 12 months and both times they were seen at the allotted appointment time. The first time they were the first in and there was no one else in the waiting room. You no longer need photos as they take your picture at the office.

:goodpost :clap

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:02 pm 
Top of the pops

Uncle D wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
Cheers,
Geoff.

I did say "MIGHT BE queue"!!
Useful info about the photos - thanks for that snippet.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:04 pm 
Top of the pops

Josef K wrote:

No problem, they will just have to purchase travel insurance for their holiday visit.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:24 pm 
Rock Star

M.A.D wrote:
What a shambles at the airport last night. Our friend was returning to the UK and only had hand luggage so only had to go through security…the line was huge, stretching from security back past all the check in desks and doubling back on itself. :doh

Whilst he stood in line, we waiting to one side and watched the antics of the Cypriots trying to cut in, join their new friends near the head of the line, badger any official who would listen that they had been delayed and just had to get through security immediately. We even saw Cypriots ‘latching on’ to disabled travellers to ‘accompany’ them through the fast track security (the disability service providers were actually encouraging them) :roll:

A lot of tempers were being raised and we actually saw a shoving match happen :tickedoff

It’s still early in the season and it took over an hour for our friend to get through security….dread to think of the chaos during the height of the season!!! :rocky

This still points to the fact that travelling through Paphos airport on a Wednesday or Sunday is a must avoid.
I have only booked a Wednesday flight once in 10 years now and I will never do it again...and that was before the enhanced security checks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:25 pm 

Many people don’t have a choice without it costing substantially more involving 2 flights

During the ‘winter’ timetable, the ONLY direct flights from Scotland are by Easyjet from Edinburgh on a Wednesday & Saturday.

During the ‘summer’ timetable, direct flights from Scotland are by Easylet; Jet2 and Thomsons from Edinburgh & Glasgow on a Tuesday; Wednesday; Saturday & Sunday

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:00 pm 
Rock Star

M.A.D wrote:
Many people don’t have a choice without it costing substantially more involving 2 flights

During the ‘winter’ timetable, the ONLY direct flights from Scotland are by Easyjet from Edinburgh on a Wednesday & Sunday.

During the ‘summer’ timetable, direct flights from Scotland are by Easylet; Jet2 and Thomsons from Edinburgh & Glasgow on a Tuesday; Wednesday; Saturday & Sunday

Just seen that you can get a direct train from Edinburgh to Manchester Airport every day.
Easyjet fly from Manchester every day but Tues and Saturday over the winter. This may be an option
During the Summer they fly every day and are cheaper by £100 per person than flying from Edinburgh.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:29 am 

Thanks for that Nev. Have looked at it before. The cheaper flight price is negated by the cost of the train tickets to Manchester + the journey time is 3.5 hour where as the current 'waiting time' at Paphos is only about 2 hours :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:10 pm 
Rock Star

Big Nev wrote:
Just seen that you can get a direct train from Edinburgh to Manchester Airport every day.
Easyjet fly from Manchester every day but Tues and Saturday over the winter. This may be an option
During the Summer they fly every day and are cheaper by £100 per person than flying from Edinburgh.

But EZY back into Manchester usually arrives after midnight - do the trains still run then??

:grin:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:15 pm 
Star

Trains from Man airport to Man Piccadilly only run from around 6:30am

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:52 pm 
Rock Star

Uncle D wrote:
Trains from Man airport to Man Piccadilly only run from around 6:30am

1st train 04:22 in morning.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:14 pm 
Star

Arrive Pafos airport 9pm (7UK) take off at 11pm (9UK) arrive 1am UK.
Out of baggage and wait for 1st train to Manchester at 4:22am then wait for first train to Leeds at 6:30am.
2hrs on train to Leeds, 50 mins wait for train to Edinburgh another 2.50hrs arrives 12.07pm.
At least 17 hours of travel, providing everything runs on time, and not even got home yet.
What a great alternative, maybe Michael Portillo would enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:39 pm 
Rock Star

Uncle D no need to moan at me, I was just making a suggestion to our Scottish friends who don't have the same frequency of flights.

If I lived in Scotland I'd drive down to Manchester and stay in one of the airport hotels and fly the next day. This is something I do often when flying from Gatwick to the Caribbean. It beats stopovers on flights.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:37 am 

It's only going to get worse
http://cyprus-mail.com/2016/03/20/chaos-at-paphos-airport-as-hundreds-caught-in-crush/

The General Hospital appointments desk and the pharmacy were like this till recently when they solved the problem....more staff :doh ..simples
I went to the pharmacy last Thursday at 10:30 and was the only 'customer' for 7 pharmacists

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:11 am 
Top of the pops

If you are not concerned about "sensitivities" there is always Ercan (Tymbou) International
Airport in the "north". Plenty of good cheap flights to/from various UK airports, and although
all flights have to "touch down" in Turkey en-route that does not usually cause too much extra journey time.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:32 am 
Top of the pops

I fly into the UK regularly, invariably to Stansted. The wait there in passport control is always considerable, but at least the majority of the desks are manned, the queue is orderly and controlled and progress is smooth and steady. That fiasco at Paphos, as in the Cyprus Mail, was simply unacceptable and the passenger is quite correct, it has to be resolved. Not just for the sake of passengers but for the sake of the face Paphos is presenting to the travelling world.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:46 am 
Rock Star

I have a friend who works as a rep for Saga Holidays.
When she is on airport duty last week a lot of passengers she was meeting said they wouldn't be coming back to Cyprus.
They waited over 2.5 hours to get through on a Wednesday.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:44 pm 
Top of the pops

Big Nev wrote:
When she is on airport duty last week a lot of passengers she was meeting said they wouldn't be coming back to Cyprus.

Was that because of the delays, or due to their age? :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:34 pm 
Star

Two to two and a half hours is quite normal in many airports; I've done it several times at Dubai and Moscow.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:49 pm 
Major

Is the waiting time as long every day? We're arriving at 21.20 on a Friday

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:39 pm 
Rock Star

Band wrote:
Big Nev wrote:

Was that because of the delays, or due to their age? :oops:

It was definitely because of the delays.

To be fair, Saga get a bad reputation as to be holidays for the very old and infirm.
They actually cater for holidays from the grand old age of 50.
I would think there aren't many on this Forum who don't meet the age cut off!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:44 pm 
Rock Star

geoffreys wrote:
If you are not concerned about "sensitivities" there is always Ercan (Tymbou) International
Airport in the "north". Plenty of good cheap flights to/from various UK airports, and although
all flights have to "touch down" in Turkey en-route that does not usually cause too much extra journey time.
Geoff.

What airlines fly from the UK to Ercan with just a "touch down" in Turkey, please?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:15 pm 
Top of the pops

"Two to two and a half hours is quite normal in many airports; I've done it several times at Dubai and Moscow."

Jim

My point exactly Jim, I've done that at Stansted, particularly late evening/early morning when you would least expect it. But - it is orderly, it is organised, it does progress smoothly and efficiently, all or majority of desks are manned, and it's as good as it can be with hundreds of people being processed. Startlingly unlike it seemed to be at Paphos last week. More bodies on the desks, improved technology, snaked queues same as at check in - not rocket science!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:25 pm 
Top of the pops

outasite wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
Geoff.

What airlines fly from the UK to Ercan with just a "touch down" in Turkey, please?

Turkish airlines and Pegasus on some flights. You can google them. Some flites just land for
a short time like 10 minutes.
Point is not the Paphos type rugby scrum! Turkish Airlines have no "extras" either.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:36 pm 
Idol

Cyprus is dependent on tourism.....so simply no excuse...they are taking the p***...never mind the duty of care they have for the passengers.....what would have happened if there was a medical emergency? The CTO should be all over this...why on earth would anybody want to come on Holiday here when getting in and out is so stressful.....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:53 pm 
Rock Star

geoffreys wrote:
outasite wrote:
geoffreys wrote:
Geoff.

Turkish airlines and Pegasus on some flights. You can google them. Some flites just land for
a short time like 10 minutes.
Point is not the Paphos type rugby scrum! Turkish Airlines have no "extras" either.
Geoff.

Has anyone got any experience of hiring a car at Ercan airport, for onward travel to Paphos, and return to Ercan?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:59 pm 
Idol

Or you could just make the extra 45 minute journey in either direction and fly from Larnaca ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:36 pm 
Rock Star

Fylde Filly wrote:
Or you could just make the extra 45 minute journey in either direction and fly from Larnaca ;)

I do fly into and out of Larnaca quite a lot. Easy and cheap to pick up a hire car from Larnaca airport to drive to Paphos.

I just wondered, as Ercan is being profered as a "solution" what the hire car arrangements are like there for onward travel to Paphos.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:00 am 
Idol

I don't see how Ercan can be a "solution" as such, given you have to have downtime in Turkey before being allowed to travel on.
I don't see how it's possible that any flights can only be on the ground for 10 minutes. I would like to see a link to those website flight times.

Larnaca appears to be the simpler solution all round. It's a much bigger airport than Paphos and with the figures quoted that Paphos had 15 flights in one day with Larnaca having only 14 on the same day, I think I know where I would be heading for.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:54 am 
Star

Fylde Filly wrote:
I don't see how Ercan can be a "solution" as such, given you have to have downtime in Turkey before being allowed to travel on.
I don't see how it's possible that any flights can only be on the ground for 10 minutes. I would like to see a link to those website flight times.

I was also puzzled about the 10 minute stop, I just had a quick check on some dates that we are thinking of travelling back to the UK.
Turkish airlines to Manchester, take off Ercan 08:55 arrive Istanbul 10:15, Istanbul 13:15 lands Manchester 15:30(UK), total of 8hrs 55 mins.
The cost was also over €100 each more than easyjet

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body