Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:56 am 
Top of the pops

I noted a few days ago that the sign "Acropolis" was up outside the new restaurant and they had tables and chairs our plus a menu on the wall, but driving home last night I noticed people sitting inside at the tables, so either they are testing the facilities or the place is open for business!

Last edited by Band on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:10 pm 
Top of the pops

Not a very good quality picture as I took it on my phone in a hurry as it was raining, but here is the menu for the new restaurant.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:23 am 
Top of the pops

Yup - typical rip-off prices - €3 for a bottle of Keo or Carslberg (and don't even stock the best local one) which they can buy for less than €1..........................I'll be passing on this one!! (When will they ever learn??)

chris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:06 am 
Top of the pops

it's all economics - while those patrons sitting and drinking and eating - the business will exist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:27 pm 
Top of the pops

I don't go to a restaurant to drink beer, so on the basis that I only ever drink one beer with a meal, the price of the beer is irrelevant. Of more interest to me is the cost of the main and other courses, as that will have a much greater impact on the overall cost of the meal, rather than a notional 50c 'overcharge' on a bottle of beer. And if they were to give you free coffee at the end of the meal - as many restaurants do - surely that would more than compensate for 50c on a beer?

I judge a restaurant on the quality and presentation of the food, the professionalism of the service, the ambience and the courtesies extended to our family by the owner/manager. The cost of the beer doesn't come into it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:37 pm 
Top of the pops

Whilst I also judge a restaurant on more or less the same criteria, I also take note of pricing of certain "staple" items that I know the rough buying-in price of - that then gives me an indicator if the restaurant is reasonable with its pricing or a rip-off...................and I tend to drink water anyway, which at €1-50 is extortionate.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:59 pm 
Top of the pops

I have to say that I don't find much about the menu to entice me in. The prices on the mains do appear on the high side, but sometimes food can be extra special, which helps justify the cost of the meal.

I'm a dessert person. To me, the dessert is what the rest of the meal is working towards, so any restaurant that doesn't make an effort with regard to the desserts doesn't get my vote :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:18 pm 
Idol

I generally agree with all the above posts - the menu and location do not attract me to place at all :huff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:08 pm 
Rock Star

Alternative menu

1st course 2 stroke engine with an over garnish of oil.
2nd course diesel engine with the strong smell and thick smoke.
3rd course petrol engine with bad timing to give the aroma of petrol fumes.

Aperitif fresh air on the way home followed by a stiff drink in the house to get the taste out of your mouth!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:59 pm 
Graduate

Brilliant menu P & L!

And if they only serve Cypriot wine, which is what the menu suggests, they are on a downhill slope already! (Sorry about that!).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:46 pm 
Idol

Quote:
And if they only serve Cypriot wine, which is what the menu suggests, they are on a downhill slope already! (Sorry about that!).

Not only Cypriot wine, they also sell Moet & Chandon at €70 a bottle :crylaughin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:24 am 
Top of the pops

Has anyone been to the place yet and, if so, did you happen to notice if it is wheelchair accessible (I forgot to look when I took the photo)?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:02 pm 
Junior

As regards Cypriot wine nothing wrong with Persefoni and Status 99 but at 15 euros a bottle no thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:23 pm 
Top of the pops

Band wrote:
Has anyone been to the place yet and, if so, did you happen to notice if it is wheelchair accessible (I forgot to look when I took the photo)?

Yes it is wheel chair friendly. The food is excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:41 pm 
Top of the pops

Shania, thank you very much for the info.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:00 pm 
Top of the pops

My aged mother went and ate at the Acropolis last night so I thought I would share her experience.

She can only move with the aid of a walker so was worried about being able to get in but said there was a nice gentle slope which presented no problem.

The restaurant is very nice inside and has an awful lot of staff, but the place was almost completely full.

They have big windows that allow you to see into the kitchen.

She chose Stifado which she said was very enjoyable. They were brought bread and dips to start and fresh fruit and a local liqueur to finish. Her group of ladies even got a kiss on the cheek each as they left.

The meals, including a carafe of wine, came to around €15 per head which they thought was reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:05 pm 
Top of the pops

That's nice to hear Band. Good to read a positive post after a number of less favourable. Until you try something for yourself you just never know how good or bad something is; personal opinion is always so subjective.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:18 pm 
Top of the pops

I always believe in giving credit and positive news when I can.

Forgot to say as well that, once they were inside, there was no traffic noise.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:36 pm 
Top of the pops

Well, I can now give a first hand report having just got back in from Acropolis.

Six of us went and had the meze and I have to say that it was probably the best meze I have had here, even beating that at the Seven St. Georges.

The food was perfectly cooked and the home prepared lounza was really good. There wasn't one of the dishes that I could criticise.

The place was packed out so it was hard to talk above the noise but the staff were really good and attentive.

As it was Saturday night they even had a guitarist and bouzouki player wandering round the tables.

There are no real steps or slopes to get in, so access is easy for those with mobility issues and they do not allow smoking in the restaurant, although they do have a dedicated covered smoking area at one end of the building.

It isn't the cheapest restaurant I have been to but the prices were reasonable and I will certainly be going back again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:17 am 
Top of the pops

That's really good to hear. Really pleased for the individual who had the vision, took the risk and spent the money building this restaurant. There were many who criticised the location and said "it wouldn't work", but I'm pleased it has. On the basis of your recommendation we will certainly give it a try some time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:58 am 
Top of the pops

I'll hold judgement on the idea of eating outside that close to the road, but we did stand outside and chat for a couple of minutes before going back to the cars and I wasn't really aware of the noise so maybe it will be okay.

There was a party of over 30 Cypriots in there celebrating something, so they must be doing something right!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:24 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
There was a party of over 30 Cypriots in there celebrating something, so they must be doing something right!

They were probably the share holders!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body