Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:03 pm 
Master

Three people were knifed to death last night; the link shows a picture of he suspect and the latest update!
http://cyprus-mail.com/2015/11/25/manhu ... ol-killer/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:30 pm 
Top of the pops

Not sure why we need to 'beware'; are we seriously at risk? This was a dispute between a restaurant owner's son and three men who were in the restaurant. Excerpt here:

"The attack reportedly stems from the visit of the victims to the restaurant of Thoma’s father during which they wanted to have words with the suspect over a woman in Larnaca which was reportedly involved with one of the victims and the suspect".

...but full story here: http://in-cyprus.com/manhunt-underway-for-triple-murder-suspect/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:15 pm 
Master

I would be worried if I lived or was visiting the Limassol area, which is not that far away and I regularly visit, the knowledge that a knife wealding homicidal maniac was on the loose, possibly high drugs would make me think again! One of he victims was stabbed 35 times.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:29 pm 
Top of the pops

Having read the stories this was not an attack between a restaurateur and customers but an argument over a woman that started in the restaurant. The suspect also has previous for assault and drugs.

He is trying to evade capture and could be armed which, in my book, makes him a pretty dangerous man given that he made a pretty good job of killing those three poor men. He could be hiding out anywhere on the island, or even have crossed into the North so yes, I think it would be prudent to take extra care while he remains at large.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:36 pm 
Top of the pops

No risk whatsoever to Paphos People members, armed assailant or not. Why do people have to be so melodramatic? I go to Limassol several times a week and the fact that this person is at large causes me no disquiet at all. What is there to "beware of" or "take extra care of"? Please define. Read the full story:

Triple homicide in Limassol looks to be "settling scores"
See more at: http://www.sigmalive.com/en/news/local/ ... ZJRs9.dpuf

A triple murder in the heart of Limassol on Tuesday night is looking to be likely a settling of scores, Radio Proto reported on Wednesday.

Police reported the murder of three victims, aged 19, 21 and 24, at 7:30pm on Tuesday night. The attacker managed to escape and is still being sought.

Two of the victims were brothers, while the third was their sister’s boyfriend.

The attacker, who is known to the police, seems to have verbally fought with the three in Iroon Square in Limassol. The three attempted to escape after they realised what was happening, the police reported.

The attacker then chased them and caught up with them close to the Limassol district offices, where he stabbed the three in front of eye witnesses. After he stabbed the men the assailant escaped and is now being sought by police.

Police have arrested the attacker’s father, who had tried to stop his son from committing the crime but was unable to catch up with him. The three had fought with the attacker at his father’s café. Police on Wednesday announced that they had found the weapon that the suspect had used to kill the three men.

Limassol police have released a photo of the attacker, as he is still missing.
- See more at: http://www.sigmalive.com/en/news/local/ ... ycBnN.dpuf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:52 pm 
Top of the pops

Agree totally Lloyd, I'm pretty sure he'll be in the North!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:41 pm 
Top of the pops

Yakflyer wrote:
No risk whatsoever to Paphos People members, armed assailant or not.

So, you are stating that our personal safety is guaranteed.

I imagine that three young men went out last night comfortable in the fact that they would be going home afterwards.

This has nothing to do with melodrama. Nobody is suggesting that we all stay inside and lock all the doors and windows, merely that it may be an idea to take a little care in dark lonely places. So far as I am concerned that is just common sense.

Given the size of the island and the number of inhabitants any risk is obviously small, but it is still a risk.

Complacency can be a dangerous thing!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:50 pm 

Putting it all into perspective..... I would say it's just as they used to say on Crimewatch when we were back home in UK "don't approach the suspect" because yes, if he's managed to kill 3 other people single handedly with a knife then he's most certainly classed as "dangerous".

I've just walked from leaving the office this evening to the car park some half a mile distance through totally unlit streets in the heart of Limassol but have not been fearful of my life.

It does appear his father has helped his son to be on his way but whether that will be to the north, we shall see. Even in times of trouble like this, many Cypriots will not make a run for it to the other side.

It sounds like none of the 4 men involved were as pure as the driven snow but even so, it doesn't mean their lives should end in this manner. A very sad day for the families of the 3 young men who have lost so much over some hot tempers and stupidity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:09 am 
Top of the pops

This was not a random killing of a passer-by in the street or a road-rage incident, but rather a crime of passion within a family. That was my point: what we we supposed to do to "beware", "take care" or "not be complacent" as we go about our daily lives? I'm sure most of us are vigilant for our own personal safety anyway.

I have every confidence the Police will soon have him arrested.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:38 am 
Top of the pops

It may ultimately be proved to be a crime of passion (normally used by defence lawyers to try and remove the element of premeditation from murder trials), but surely at this stage that is just an assumption given that the perpetrator has not been caught and the three men are dead. The men killed are from two different families and, AFAIK, not related to the killer although there seems to be a connection between the suspect and one of the men.

Those who commit crimes of passion are claimed to do so when they are angry, upset or heartbroken which could potentially happen again if someone is desperate not to be caught, particularly if they are a drug user (which this man may be given the history as quoted in the press).

If memory serves, a little while ago there was a thread on here where you said that you had fitted bars on the windows of your house for safety and security, so I just didn't understand why you felt that a man on the loose who had killed three people did not present any risk whatsoever. This was such an horrific crime that until such time as he is caught the man must surely pose some form of risk to the public?

It is the choice of the individual what steps, if any, they take to protect themselves. In the meantime I hope that he is caught soon and that the subsequent investigation establishes exactly what did happen that evening.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:32 pm 
Top of the pops

I do side with Yakflyer on this one. Such crimes are, thankfully, rare on this island. Perhaps the fact that it has happened in this context is the thing that has got to people. According to the Evening Standard, London has 1000 knife crimes a year (2013 stats). Not all murders of course, but still frightening. Just remember, you are safer here than most places in the world.

Don't have nightmares.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:07 pm 
Top of the pops

Correct Josef. If people are going to get nervous over a crime of passion in an adjoining town in Cyprus, goodness knows how they'd cope in London, or indeed many other cities in the western world, where random stabbing of complete strangers is common. I've occasionally, inadvertently, driven into the 'bad' side of some cities in the USA...and boy, that is frightening; you do need to have your wits about you there. My wife and daughter never ever feel unsafe in any part of Cyprus, any time of day or night.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:56 pm 

Just reporting in...

I'm back home from work safe and sound after walking the dark and dangerous streets of downtown Limassol.

Really must have a word with the local municipality, it's a real beggar of a job to get my key into the lock on the hatchback to stick my back with my laptop in it every night with no streetlights :-(

It's too dark to walk through the cemetery now though so I'm having to walk along the side streets. No idea why there are no lights at the end of the street by my office and all the way up to the furthest car park....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:01 pm 
Top of the pops

Keep safe Shell. It must be scary there :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:11 pm 

Terrifying :pow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:10 pm 
Star

It appears the police have caught him .

http://cyprus-mail.com/2015/11/26/craze ... o-regrets/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:43 am 
Top of the pops

Band wrote:
If memory serves, a little while ago there was a thread on here where you said that you had fitted bars on the windows of your house for safety and security, so I just didn't understand why you felt that a man on the loose who had killed three people did not present any risk whatsoever. This was such an horrific crime that until such time as he is caught the man must surely pose some form of risk to the public?

It's really not that difficult to understand, Martin.

Around 85% of my neighbours have been burgled over the years, some more than once. As soon as break-ins started manifesting themselves a few years ago we took steps to enhance security on our property. Which means that we are now one of the very few homes which haven't been burgled.

If I were to go to Limassol, I would assess my chance of being stabbed by a murderous villain as 1 in 100,000,000. Given that this was reported from the outset as being a familial crime of passion there was never any risk to the rest of us going about our normal business.

It's all about assessing risk and responding accordingly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:49 am 
Top of the pops

Yakflyer wrote:

Absolutely right. One needs to assess and respond to risk rather than just dismiss it out of hand.

Anyway, he has now been captured so that particular risk is over.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:09 am 
Idol

Band wrote:
Yakflyer wrote:

Absolutely right. One needs to assess and respond to risk rather than just dismiss it out of hand.

Anyway, he has now been captured so that particular risk is over.

This one was never a risk to us in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:10 am 

And no, the murderer didn't head to the north either..... he was caught hiding out in a house in Lania village, Limassol district.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:22 pm 
Top of the pops

Old Twister wrote:
This one was never a risk to us in the first place.

My point all along!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:32 pm 
Major

Unfortunately the gent with the knife does put us all at some form of risk.
I suspect that the red mist had come down in his stabbing frenzy and anyone you was close and or tried to stop the attack or assist the injured may have got stabbed as well. He is hardly going to say ‘Sorry nothing to do with you and get out of the way please’ then carry on stabbing 3 people.
Had you been sat in the restaurant at the time would you not have done something to stop the murders?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:24 pm 
Top of the pops

As I understand it, most of the stabbings did not take place in the restaurant, but a short distance away. I wouldn't have played the hero - hastening my own demise in the process - but if I felt I had a good chance of over-powering him - most, most unlikely I admit - then I would have done so, just as I would a hijacker on an aircraft.

As it is, he did NOT in his fury stab anyone else in the taverna, or bystanders in the street. Instead he was focussed on wreaking revenge on the family members who sadly perished.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body