The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:58 am 
Regular

Sir,

I have resided in Cyprus for nearly a decade and I have both a permanent residency and ID card and pay all local and revenue taxes as and when they fall due. My wife and I live just on the boundary of Yeroskipou.

I am dismayed at the level of reconstruction being undertaken within Yeroskipou town square, for what was a typical leisure area abounding with mature trees and shrubs has degenerated into a dust bowl.

Sadly the little cafes and restaurants that abounded with Cypriot hospitality now resonate to the tune of construction noise.

After discussing matters with local shop owners, many are suffering through diminished trade and pollution. Surely it must be self evident to the Municipality that tourists who come to view the fine old church and purchase local sweets and gifts will not return!

The real question, if this modernisation was really necessary, is why could it not be completed during the winter months with a full construction team working within strict and enforceable contractual arrangements?

Moving on to my further cause for concern, I am advised that a demolition and closure order could possibly be served on the tavern known as "Riccos" situated on the beach at Yeroskipou.

Should such an action occur, it would be to the detriment of all local residents and tourists, as Riccos is a place where we all gather and enjoy the fare, meeting many old friends and also tourists who converge into Riccos after being horrified by the exorbitant prices that prevail in many of the Paphos and Yeroskipou hotels.

I am further led to believe that the closure of Riccos, established since 1975, is because it is unlicensed. Undoubtedly this is bureaucratic nonsense, for surely having occupied and traded from the site for over 30 years should be sufficient to ensure that a full licence is granted, for I am certain that any reasonable stipulations imposed by the Municipality would be undertaken by the owner.

In closing I would trust that the Municipality might provide answers to this letter and clarify the current position, as it would be most regrettable if nepotism or predatory beach developers were to deprive us of one of the very few beach bars in the Paphos area. Incidentally, I learnt most of my Greek at Riccos in a most convivial atmosphere!
Terry Gilbert, Paphos

Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2008

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:59 am 
Regular

We stopped at Riccos this yesterday for a drink as we quite often do.

I cannot believe how much work has been carried out since the unfortunate accident that the little Cypriot girl had a few weeks ago.

The fake cannons on the beach are gone, as are the old Caribbean style tables.

The +100 year old toilets are gone and have been replaced by (only) two ‘rent a bog’ type toilets. One was locked!!! At least it better then before!!!

The beach area is clean and tidy, the children’s area has been sorted out and a lot of the c**p is now gone.

There are nice new ‘wooden’ tables in the under cover areas.

And for some reason the staff including Rico walk around with a smile on their faces!

I personally would not like to see the place closed down, it’s open ALL year round and has a BIG community feel about it…

Both Jo and I can remember having a meal at Riccos TEN years ago when we first came to Cyprus!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:12 am 
Top of the pops

NOVELTY VEND wrote:
... for surely having occupied and traded from the site for over 30 years should be sufficient to ensure that a full licence is granted ....
Sometimes complacency sets in and people that have a good thing going slowly stop making the effort required to keep it all running so 30 years running doesn't, in my book, guarantee anything other than they should know better. Some of my restaurant customers have to yearly "jump through hoops" to be fully above board with various certificates and/or licences. If the powers that be are enforcing rules on Ricco that other restaurants already play to then that is surely the right thing to do ....

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:57 pm 
Top of the pops

A structure (if you can call it that at Ricco's) has to be in situ - unchallenged IE without any formal procedures for 10 years to enable an owner to seek established use. However, this does not overright any other legal issues such as Health and Safety or in this case Food and Hygine or any infringments to the beach front where an authority/municipality may state that NO development should take place unless it is xxxxxx metres from the protected shoreline.

Yes it has it's charm, but as Big Dutch says he also has to meet standards too.
It begs the question as to why, after being an absolute dross of a place has he only just started to improve it? Maybe, he has drawn attention to himself by the unfortunate incident a few weeks ago. If he had been smart, he would never have had the unstable cannons resting on stones without them being permanently affixed. Methinks he is closing the stable door after the horse has bolted??

He is a little foolish to go spending lots of money until his licence and building permit is sorted. Many others have had to renew their licences in line with EU regs why should he be any different?

Tiggy

Helen

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body