Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pool help
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:35 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi all :morning

our pool skimmer pipes have collapsed and are leaking and we need to have new pipes laid and fitted.

We have stamped concrete that would need to be dug out for the new pipe work to be installed

Does anyone know of or can recommend any good pool people / builders who could do this job for us?

many thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: pool help
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:01 pm 
Rock Star

H2Owen did ours

Good work for the pipework, but poor replacement of the patio area afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:07 pm 
Regular

I'd recommend Colin / Cath @ Mack Pools - 97 683 651 - they are based in Tala near the old So Easy Kiosk (now Visteria)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:09 pm 
Regular

Never used them, but Brit Build Ltd always seem to get good reviews.
They have a Facebook page.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:41 pm 
Top of the pops

Daz wrote:
I'd recommend Colin / Cath @ Mack Pools - 97 683 651 - they are based in Tala near the old So Easy Kiosk (now Visteria)

Hi Daz
have you used them yourself? or do you know other people who have used them?
many thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:14 pm 
Regular

Yes I have used them for various bits of repairs and they maintain our pool.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:15 pm 
Top of the pops

Interesting topic, as I am in the same position. I had temporary repairs done a couple of years back, but it was obvious then that the pipes were deteriorating, and then a littlke later a skimmer split and had to be decommissioned, and now the filter has failed and so I am going to have the pool completely re-piped and refurbished and a new pump room built closer to the pool. Though I am sorely tempted to have it filled in and plant a tree!

The problem seems to be that the pool builders insist on using flexible pipes, yet all the references I have found say that you should never bury flexible pipes. They deteriorate and are prone to being crushed.

The builders say they do it for the 'earthquake resistance', but in truth they do it because it is so much easier to throw bendy pipes into the ground. The flexible pipes last about eight years and the fitters are long gone by the time problems start. A couple of my neighbours are having similar troubles and I'll bet the rest won't be far behind.

I am currently seeking quotes to completely refurbish the pool and surrounding area, and that is easier said than done. Two recommended suppliers are suddenly unavailable (they could I suppose be on holiday), so I too am looking for suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:36 pm 
Top of the pops

Thanks Daz
just spoken to Collin what a great man

he is putting us in contact with a company named Pool Fix, Akis is the owner
and they are going to come out to try and trace where the leak is coming from
they sound very professional

many thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:45 pm 
Regular

:congrats

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:03 pm 
Graduate

If your pool has flexible pipes, DON'T put chlorine tablets in the skimmer baskets. This increases the concentration of chlorine in the skimmer pipes with the result that they swell and rot. I recently had to cut 12" out of both my skimmer pipes because they had expanded in length and had kinked, causing a rupture. Of course it took me ages to find the leaky bits, but I eventually succeeded and all seems fine at the moment. I now add chlorine granules directly into the pool each day!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:24 pm 
Top of the pops

stu44 wrote:
If your pool has flexible pipes, DON'T put chlorine tablets in the skimmer baskets. This increases the concentration of chlorine in the skimmer pipes with the result that they swell and rot. I recently had to cut 12" out of both my skimmer pipes because they had expanded in length and had kinked, causing a rupture. Of course it took me ages to find the leaky bits, but I eventually succeeded and all seems fine at the moment. I now add chlorine granules directly into the pool each day!

thank you for the tip
much appreciated

sounds a night mare
how did you locate the rotten pipe work?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:44 pm 
Graduate

Sorry migmogs, there's no easy solution to finding the leaks. You have to get the concrete up and the spade out! The only advice I can give is to work backwards from the skimmers towards the pump house. The leaks in both my pipes were about halfway along the pipe run. Have a look at the condition of the pipes in the pump house. If they look good, then the leak is more than likely to be closer to the skimmers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:53 pm 
Top of the pops

stu44 wrote:
Sorry migmogs, there's no easy solution to finding the leaks. You have to get the concrete up and the spade out! The only advice I can give is to work backwards from the skimmers towards the pump house. The leaks in both my pipes were about halfway along the pipe run. Have a look at the condition of the pipes in the pump house. If they look good, then the leak is more than likely to be closer to the skimmers.

cheers stu44

Poolfix are going to come out and use a device that locates and finds out where the leak(s) exactly are, with 35 metres of stamped concrete to dig up, we are hoping to locate exactly where it is, other than that we will have to have the entire lot replaced at great cost

fingers crossed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:32 pm 
Top of the pops

migmogs wrote:
Poolfix are going to come out and use a device that locates and finds out where the leak(s) exactly are, with 35 metres of stamped concrete to dig up, we are hoping to locate exactly where it is, other than that we will have to have the entire lot replaced at great cost

fingers crossed

migmogs
I have used poolfix - not cheap but they fixed the problem in a single visit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:16 pm 
Top of the pops

Polemi Dave wrote:
migmogs wrote:

fingers crossed

migmogs
I have used poolfix - not cheap but they fixed the problem in a single visit.

thanks Dave
nice to know of their workmanship :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:36 pm 
Top of the pops

KG wrote:
I am currently seeking quotes to completely refurbish the pool and surrounding area, and that is easier said than done. Two recommended suppliers are suddenly unavailable (they could I suppose be on holiday), so I too am looking for suggestions.

On top of everything else I look after a number of properties and have used various pool companies at various times over the years but now always use Manni at ShipShape. He is away until Monday but could be worth giving him a call.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:06 am 
Rock Star

Our pool was built in 1989it was all a bit old and tired, then the patio started subsiding and smashed the 2 top rows of tiles , we gave up had it filled in and now have some banana trees. living within 2km of the sea why have a pool ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:35 am 
Top of the pops

If the pool is leaking, don't overlook the skimmers themselves. They have a propensity for cracking around the bottom rim. Allow the water to leak away without topping up until it is below the skimmers and see if one or both skimmers empties.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:31 am 
Graduate

Quite agree KG, have had this experience on a friend's pool. But don't forget to plug the hole in the bottom of the skimmer before you do this test, otherwise you won't know if it's the skimmer or the pipe below it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:32 pm 
Top of the pops

absolutely impressed with Pool Fix

http://poolfixcyprus.com/index.html

what an incredible company,and so highly professional

it took 3 hours to locate the problem, which was brilliant, and they gave our pool a thorough testing of all parts at the same time

we now know exactly where the leak is and what now needs to be done to mend it

they have saved us thousands of euro's

we cannot speak highly enough about this company
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

thanks again to this wonderful forum for yet again pointing us in the right direction
:clap :clap :clap :clap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:36 pm 
Graduate

Lots of clapping going on! Sounds like Poolfix are good, but can you tell us where they think the leak is and roughly how much it is going to cost to fix it (including the Poolfix bill)? Only asking as a point of future reference for forum members. :greetings

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:20 pm 
Top of the pops

stu44 wrote:
Lots of clapping going on! Sounds like Poolfix are good, but can you tell us where they think the leak is and roughly how much it is going to cost to fix it (including the Poolfix bill)? Only asking as a point of future reference for forum members. :greetings

That is about like asking how much to repair a broken car?

I have a large underground plastic balance tank, about 5-7 tons capacity. It was split and I needed a digger to take it out and replace it, plus new plumbing. I could not get into the tank to repair it because the neck was too small, nor could anyone I knew. Pool fix sent a super slim technician, who went down into the tank (like a rat down a drain pipe). Used industrial chemical seals to fix the splits. All done in less than an hour - €80. Well worth it, the digger alone would have been €300 and the mess - priceless! :sunny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:42 am 
Top of the pops

Polemi Dave wrote:
stu44 wrote:

That is about like asking how much to repair a broken car?

I have a large underground plastic balance tank, about 5-7 tons capacity. It was split and I needed a digger to take it out and replace it, plus new plumbing. I could not get into the tank to repair it because the neck was too small, nor could anyone I knew. Pool fix sent a super slim technician, who went down into the tank (like a rat down a drain pipe). Used industrial chemical seals to fix the splits. All done in less than an hour - €80. Well worth it, the digger alone would have been €300 and the mess - priceless! :sunny

our fix is much less
we where quoted 2500 from another company who had done limited tests and who had not sorted out where the leak was coming from and so they where just going to replace the entire pipes work

Pool Fix traced the fault to exactly where it was, realized that with an entire dig that we could have lost all of out very much so established Ficas hedge..and quoted for the main leak 400 euro's plus VAT

it was a no brainer

we have been saved a lot of money and now know where the problem is

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:43 am 
Rock Star

I know of a couple of my neighbours who have had their skimmer pipes replaced, each done using flexible piping in a like-for-like fix.

In both cases, despite using different contractors, the results were similar. The breaking out of the concrete & laying the flexible pipes was done without a problem, well, if you ignore the fact that there was (yet again) no easy access provision made for future maintenance that is.
Then the open trench was back-filled with SAND to near ground level, a THIN layer of cement trowelled over it & allowed to dry. Finally closely 'matching' (but not the same pattern) tiles laid to finish the job.

The result of using sand as a back-fill medium, combined with the 'thin' layer of cement meant that within a short period of time (unfortunately after the contractors had been paid), any load imparted to the tiles covering the trench caused the new tiles (& the concrete layer beneath them) to crack. This without any help from any seismic activity!

So the moral here is (as always) to understand exactly what the prospective contractor has included SPECIFICALLY within his quotation & get it stated in writing. Breaking-out & laying the new pipework is the easy part of the job, it's how the back-fill & finishing work is done that will differentiate between a good job or a poor one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:27 pm 
Top of the pops

The problem is exacerbated by the use of flexible pipes in the ground. I cannot find any reference that does not say that flexible pipes should not be used in the ground. Even when well repaired (mine were repaired about two years ago) the problem returns. Mine has got to the stage where all the pipes need replacing, and as I need a new filter and wish to re-locate the pump room, I am anticipating lots of noughts on the quotes.

Frankly given the amount of hassle, the cost of running etc for the relatively small amount of use, I am now very seriously considering filling in the pool and having it concreted over and the whole area re-tiled. It will be one less thing to worry about. I just wonder how much of a selling point the pool would be if we chose to sell up at some future date. Still I can think about it a bit longer as the pool is now empty awaiting a decision ... and some quotes when the contractors get back from holiday.

Any thoughts on the value of a pool? Would you buy a property that didn't have one?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:50 pm 
Top of the pops

Graham, I would definitely not fill in the pool. You might well deter 50% of house-buyers when the time comes to sell your property at a later date...and you cannot afford that luxury. Despite being in the pool safety business we 'closed' our pool several years ago, as my wife does not like water and I have too little time to justify the cost of running a pool. So instead we covered our 10x5m pool with one of the mesh pool covers which we supply. Pic below. The safety fence was already in place, as it was to protect our grandchildren and we're happy that we left it in place, even though it might not now be strictly necessary.

If we chose to at any time in the future we could re-open our pool and have it running again within a day or two. Not something you can do if you've filled it with concrete :-(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:59 pm 
Top of the pops

KG
Can't agree with you about the flexible pipes - if the good quality ones are used and they are laid and covered properly - they should last a lifetime. Too often the developer back fills with stony earth and drives plant over it to compact it - the pipes then get flattened and punctured. Rigid pipes here in Cyprus would be a bad idea. I have a short section of twin 4in pipe into my balance tank. The last quake shattered both of them.

Lloyd your picture looks more like a high security exercise yard than a swimming pool. Would any swimmers have to wear handcuffs and leg irons to prevent them jumping the fence and running away. :grin:
Come on Lloyd - surely your grandchildren would enjoy a swim now and then.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:56 am 
Top of the pops

They have their own pool Dave, in which they often swim twice a day, so they have no need of an additional pool at ours, which muggings here would have to pay for, 12 months of the year.

They also have the sea right on their doorstep :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:31 am 
Top of the pops

Good sales pitch Lloyd. :lol:

The problem is that the pool was very badly installed in the first place. It has been a constant source of problems for 10 years with leaking and damaged pipes and now it needs completely refitting, with a new pump room closer to the pool. The only parts salvageable are the ladder, the light, the concrete shell and the pump. It essentially means a new pool.

I am not sure that I want to spend that sort of money on restoring a pool on the off chance that some day I may want to sell the house and the lack of a pool might deter some buyers. We have no plans to return to the UK, though we are not ruling it out.

I wasn't thinking of filling it with concrete, but rubble (which can be removed) with a concrete cap and perhaps crazy paving over the whole area.

I'll have to think further before making a decision. It's not a decision which needs to be rushed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:20 am 
Top of the pops

Graham

I think almost everyone suffers from a badly installed pool. If you decide to properly renovate I can give you the name of the Cypriot builders I use. They are a father and son company and been around a long time. The son is a structural engineer. A recent project was the old Mitsibushi showroom conversion to Garden of Eden on Polis road. I have 3 residential and one retail unit, so I have used them quite a lot. I will not post their name as they are not interested in tiny repairs (unless you are a customer) - although digging up round your pool and a new pump room is right up their street. I can give them 100% recommendation and you will get a Cypriot price for the job, not a developer price. :sunny

However I am probably doing myself no good here, because I am waiting for them to start on two of my properties. :-(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:30 am 
Top of the pops

However badly built your pool Garaham, I'm sure it can't compete with one pool in Limassol we were recently invited to quote for restoring :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:15 am 
Master

KG wrote:
Good sales pitch Lloyd. :lol:

The problem is that the pool was very badly installed in the first place. It has been a constant source of problems for 10 years with leaking and damaged pipes and now it needs completely refitting, with a new pump room closer to the pool. The only parts salvageable are the ladder, the light, the concrete shell and the pump. It essentially means a new pool.

I am not sure that I want to spend that sort of money on restoring a pool on the off chance that some day I may want to sell the house and the lack of a pool might deter some buyers. We have no plans to return to the UK, though we are not ruling it out.

I wasn't thinking of filling it with concrete, but rubble (which can be removed) with a concrete cap and perhaps crazy paving over the whole area.

I'll have to think further before making a decision. It's not a decision which needs to be rushed.

I considered putting some desking over ours. Easy to remove.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:19 am 
Top of the pops

Polemi Dave wrote:
f you decide to properly renovate I can give you the name of the Cypriot builders I use. They are a father and son company and been around a long time. The son is a structural engineer. A recent project was the old Mitsibushi showroom conversion to Garden of Eden on Polis road :-(
That was a nice job, and yes I may well be interested. Finding top class tradesmen is always something of a trial.

The pool is not as bad as that in Lloyd's most recent picture. It's the parts underground that you don't see that are the issue, plus the moving of the pump gear from one side of the property, to a new pump room on the other, to eliminate very long lengths of pipework.

The big issue remains whether to restore or eliminate the pool. We are leaning to the latter, but then there will be a pool to fill and around 120 sq metres of tiling to lay. Whichever way we go it is not going to be a quick decision or a cheap job. I rarely used the pool myself (following a serious shoulder injury soon after moving in, which makes swimming decidedly painful). My wife only occasionally used it, and only then because she thought she should given the cost and inconvenience of maintaining it. She would not miss it, if it wasn't there, and we could use the space for other things.

Pools seem to need refurbishment every ten years or so, so that's another consideration .. should we be fortunate enough to live that long. Without the pool we could take extended holidays in the UK, or elsewhere, without having to think about its welfare. It's a decision that seems to be making itself, but I am open to suggestions we may not have considered.

Last edited by KG on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:25 am 
Top of the pops

sky wrote:
I considered putting some decking over ours. Easy to remove.

As the pool gear is no longer functional, the issue of removal of the covering is not a primary one. A concrete cap and infill could be removed if a future occupier felt the need for a pool. I never much cared for decking and timber is not without its own set of problems. I don't see it as desirable to restore the pool then cover it, but thanks for the suggestion. All comments are appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:38 am 
Top of the pops

We've got a large expanse of timber decking at the back of our house. Seem to remember is was a very good (and horrendously expensive) hardwood like Iroko. Installed by a top class English carpenter. After 12 years it's just about had it. Planks are warping and screws are sticking up all over the place. Would never have again and will replace with crazy paving in the not-too-distant.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body