Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:06 pm 
Top of the pops

Seen the sticker/sign on many business cars in US with phone number to call...

IMO, it wouldn't possible to "invent" such feedback on Cyprus :(.

But, what is doing ordinary drivers on Cyprus' roads ?!
Not showing knowledge of RTD's rules, nor common sense... Parking on narrow lanes, stop for friendly/koombaros talk, etc.
OK, I use to accept the habits during second year and now on, begin recognizing native citizens behind steering wheel and raising own awareness of future pre-accident cases on roads.

But what is bother more - other then origins, not Cypriots - developed same bad habits. Showing not obeying rules nor follow common sense.

Here one example - a women drop her car right on a lane and went to a cafe for midday relax time.
Would someone who know her, explain to her how dangerous position she took ?
I don't see why she cannot park on opposite side, where other normal drivers parking... :(
The speed limit there is 50 kmph, btw. :( So, passing by is definitely create bad bottleneck there.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Sergio on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:36 pm 
Top of the pops

There is a Fb page you can post on, feel free to add your pictures amongst the zillions of AlphaMega/Jumbo/Sklavenides examples!

https://www.facebook.com/andyross8576/

:crylaughin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:00 pm 
Top of the pops

I'm not in FB domain ... sort of allergic to it. And they have all Cyprus cover, I'd like to see pure local sweetheart [Paphos and around it].

P.S. I just got very bad feeling - that limit 50 kmph on the narrow road must be doubled if you will got a hit from opposite direction side running at same 50 kmph...
brrr, like deadly hit a wall at 100 kmph speed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:00 pm 

Attachment:
parking 5 philippos agin.jpg

Attachment:
Parking 4 philippos.jpg

Attachment:
Parking 1 lidl.jpg

Attachment:
parking 8 Chloraka.jpg

Attachment:
Prking 9, Julies bar Kissonerga.jpg

Attachment:
parking 10 peyia.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:47 pm 
Top of the pops

In that example Sergio, the road markings are identical on both sides of the road, so in the drivers mind (if used) the parking is the same.

Certain habits here are designed not to change and although irksome and sometimes a little frustrating are part of the quirky scenario that brings us here.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:10 pm 
Top of the pops

If you're siding with that woman... make an excuse of "marking" on roads... it's time to think about safety of other people who share roads.

Tossing rules out , common sense too... then it's time to give up your driver's license. Behaving same way on public roads as you do on your own driveway, definitely a legal case for suspend driver's license.

Last edited by Sergio on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:27 pm 
Rock Star

I drive past the back of Tala amphitheatre regularly and there are no parking restrictions there. The road is also plenty wide enough for two cars to pass at that point, even with the car there against the kerb. The car is also nicely parked close to the kerb.

There are plenty of examples of bad parking in Cyprus, but I really don't think that is one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:11 pm 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
I drive past the back of Tala amphitheatre regularly and there are no parking restrictions there. The road is also plenty wide enough for two cars to pass at that point, even with the car there against the kerb. The car is also nicely parked close to the kerb.

There are plenty of examples of bad parking in Cyprus, but I really don't think that is one of them.

:agree And about twice the width of most roads in Kamares ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:18 pm 
Top of the pops

Another useless point of advocating wrong parking.
Please check again that place, take in account blind turn after the point up the hill, think twice counting 100 kmph collision speed... count breaking distance at 50 kmph when a car coming from Themetousa does swerving around the recklessly parked car and coming to opposite lane - I did that by myself driving up and have seen other cars doing so coming from down !
Amazing me ! Really your license should be recheck by qualified RTD inspector.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:18 pm 
Rock Star

Sergio, I am sure that I am not the only person getting fed up with your comments and trolling.

The car in your photos was legally parked and not in the way. It is there regularly and I drive past it regularly.

Sadly, the person with the problem here is you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:22 am 
Top of the pops

I agree that much of the parking and some driving in general can be a little hazardous from time to time (like many countries), however your example wasn't the best option.

I do get a little tired when I see people complaining that two spaces are being taken up, or that a bumper is protruding, or similar.

In a parking area you never know what was there before a vehicle parked, maybe it was the only option for example!

In general parking areas are too small for Paphos vehicles so a mutual understanding has to be observed.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:29 am 
Top of the pops

I'm tired to see how threads turning into personal humiliation if it doesn't side up with opinion of a poster who are comes up with such comments using words like "trolling" without understand what that means, without understand discussing matter and try inflate own ego making false "represent" other people.

Discuss the subject ! Don't troll posters !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:27 am 
Rock Star

Sergio - many of your posts are rude and offensive.

If you cannot see that, you have my sympathy.

I have nothing more to say to you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:20 am 
Master

From the photographs provided showing the parked car:

From both directions I see that it is parked close to kerb and facing the correct way, good visibility from all directions.

If I was approaching the vehicle from behind I would certainly not be doing 50 Kph (more likely 15-20 Kph) in anticipation of another vehicle coming round the bend towards me, before indicating and overtaking when the road is clear.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:42 am 
Top of the pops

Alexis, let me explain it in more details: the car took half of the lane; so cars from its direction must swerve to opposite lane (trust me, who are driving the spot once in a week on regular base, drivers not always drop its speed there); BTW, trucks (not just light cars) are regularly driven there; when you driving from Agios Neophytos at speed 50 kmph (you are good driver, right ? Not so for local "Speedy Gonzales") you are follow the road's left turn without enough visibility and stopping distance when a truck from opposite direction took your lane, forced passing the dangerously parked Suzuki car.
I've been there and get bad feeling when did discover the kind of reckless parking, what really creating pre-accident situation. I'm pretty sure you will change your mind if you been forced to make emergency hard brake... get in account - you can't take left shoulder to avoid a collision - there are four cars parked (much more convenient way), so it cut space for another 12-15 meters of your maneuver to avoid possible accident.

It would be classified as a case "I don't care about _your_ [eg all drives] safety". :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:10 pm 
Top of the pops

Sergio, although I understand your point and to a limited level agree, the example you have given is not a good one. Its like you have a flea in your bonnet about it. Maybe being an experienced driver on this stretch you are aware of what to look for which is great.

With markings on both sides of the road being similar how do you not know that the single car was not there first and all the others subsequently wrong!

I am sure of every offence was prosecuted then every man jack on this forum would have a bucket load to pay and the local population would'nt stand for extreme monitoring.

If you want overbearing control, sterilisation, and limitations of your freedoms then best move on from Cyprus.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:31 pm 
Top of the pops

tanny wrote:
Sergio, although I understand your point and to a limited level agree, the example you have given is not a good one. Its like you have a flea in your bonnet about it. Maybe being an experienced driver on this stretch you are aware of what to look for which is great.

With markings on both sides of the road being similar how do you not know that the single car was not there first and all the others subsequently wrong!

I am sure of every offence was prosecuted then every man jack on this forum would have a bucket load to pay and the local population would'nt stand for extreme monitoring.

If you want overbearing control, sterilisation, and limitations of your freedoms then best move on from Cyprus.

As I pass that location, almost daily, for many years now (even before the area was built upon) .... I am surprised that no-one has mentioned the dedicated car park, below the site (although it is a tough walk up for anyone frail or disabled).
I seem to have some knowledge of the area but experienced no particular problems on that road .... and see no reason to single it out for particular complaint.
:sunny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:56 pm 
Top of the pops

tanny wrote:

Sorry tanny, you don't know what I want, while you're making such stretch. So please restrain yourself from putting your mind in my thoughts or words in my mouth.
Advocating that women (gender solidarity ?) instead of road's safety, pretty much self explaining. I got your point, we are not agree. No need argue over personality instead of the subject.

As to a freedom to do what you want - please think first about anyone else freedom to live own life and create safe conditions of Cyprus roads, instead of be injured or dead there. :-(
tanny wrote:

Yes, I passed the spot a few times that day, first one was when no Suzuki parked on opposite site - so the woman clearly seen free spots before and after the line of parked cars; the person clearly cannot calculate a risk of such manner's while parking, purposely for her own convenience or being "I don't care" driver;
other cars parked that way (you should pay attention to all details what easy to see on the pictures) when they stay on the curb side, not taking an inch of lane's width. E.g. being vigilant and courteous to other participant of road traffic.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:16 pm 
Rock Star

The answer is, of course what the EAC pick-up did this morning there ...... park on the pavement! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:44 pm 
Rock Star

Sergio, I don't think the driver lacks the ability, they just don't give a damn because they ARE the center of the universe, they are too many drivers just the same, such as the ones who park virtually in the entrance of tok Lidl. Mercedes and BMW seem to attract those who are particularly selfish and full of self importance.

Having now looked at the pictures I must say that whilst there is a lot of selfish and even dangerous parking Sergio s example is not a very good one.
Drivers should remember that if all else fails there is always the option to SLOW DOWN even thought this is rarely practiced.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:34 am 
Top of the pops

Yes, since I'm driving that path 1/2 of my regular visits to Paphos, now I'm manically dropping speed before the curb... expecting to see the Suzuki parked on opposite site and a bug truck is on my lane coming from downhill. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:51 am 

Never mind the parking...some of the repairs / modifications are a bit dodgy :lol:
Attachment:
car 1.jpg

Attachment:
car 2.jpg

Attachment:
car 3.jpg

Attachment:
car 4.jpg

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:52 am 
Regular

This is defo NOT the way to park

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:25 am 
Top of the pops

Mouse wrote:
Sergio, I don't think the driver lacks the ability, they just don't give a damn because they ARE the center of the universe, they are too many drivers just the same, such as the ones who park virtually in the entrance of tok Lidl. Mercedes and BMW seem to attract those who are particularly selfish and full of self importance.

Having now looked at the pictures I must say that whilst there is a lot of selfish and even dangerous parking Sergio s example is not a very good one.
Drivers should remember that if all else fails there is always the option to SLOW DOWN even thought this is rarely practiced.

Glad that someone else has noticed the dreadful parking at that Lidl store. As you pointed out Mouse,
some have to park right at the entrance to the shop itself, making it that much more difficult to make your way out of
the car park, as these idiots make it a blind corner trying to avoid other vehicles, and indeed shoppers coming
out of the shop.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:32 am 
Top of the pops

There are no double line markings on the road of the original picture ...to say do not park!

That part of the road is used as parking by people who go to the shows in the Ampitheatre
The Police have never put signs up to say do not park!

I myself as a disabled person have parked near to there once before...and it did not cause problems to other drivers.

the person parked there could have been disabled or had a disabled person in the car with them and have been unable to have crossed that road

After seeing many millions of other parking offenses...this is not one

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:26 pm 
Top of the pops

The woman have not posted any disability placard at her car and there is a "pocket" on same side to park in just 15 meters forward !
Smart & good drivers does parking there, to look over coastline sometimes. It's exactly at a wall of amphitheater.

Lines marking does define a lane for MOVING ! Gonna park - stay out of the lane.
Plus if someone creating pre-accident condition on a road it is definitely no-no.
Again, if you are really responsible driver who are understand a concept of public road and safety behavior there.
Retarded, not retired, person should give up a license to drive and obtain a license to kill. Duh ! :crylaughin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:37 pm 
Top of the pops

People can have hidden disabilities and this person may have been picking up a disabled person, plus 15 meters, to a walking disabled person can be a very long way and they may not be able to do this!

But if you are so concerned about safety and life...then go to the apropiate department and ask for double lines to be painted there!

Then if someone dares to park...take their cars picture and show to Police :shock:

At the moment...there are NO road signs or markings asking for someone not to Park!

As said before, on Ampitheatre nights...lots of people legally park there and across the road at the same time!

As a driver...be aware that people some times park there!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:40 pm 
Rock Star

This will upset some people, Sometimes when I see a badly parked car I stick a label on the drivers window.

YOU PARK LIKE doodoo!
LEARN TO PARK YOUR
BLOODY CAR PROPERLY!

it's 14 up on a A4 J8163 label sheet.

How to make there day better!
Opp's just printed 3 sheets off

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:55 pm 
Top of the pops

Paul & Lesley wrote:
This will upset some people, Sometimes when I see a badly parked car I stick a label on the drivers window.

YOU PARK LIKE doodoo!
LEARN TO PARK YOUR
BLOODY CAR PROPERLY!

Flipping heck
Take a chill pill

You are NOT the police

Smile, have a laugh which is what we do, or tut if you must do and carry on with your day

As immigrants, enjoy the culture and ways of life, yes they are different to how we where brought up and taught
But
We live in Cyprus and thankfully not mother state UK

Have a happy day all :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:21 pm 
Top of the pops

I know for sure it was not disable women and I saw she did walk as regular person.

Your pedaling about marking is not plausible: by rules (perhaps it's time to refresh your knowledge) you cannot park on lanes, perhaps only if your car failed to moves - then you must turn on emergency lights and post in appropriate distance red triangle ! I'm start wondering to whom I'm do explain again and again basic road rules ... :banghead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:24 pm 
Top of the pops

Paul & Lesley wrote:

YOU PARK LIKE doodoo!
LEARN TO PARK YOUR
BLOODY CAR PROPERLY!

EXCELLENT IDEA !!!

Does the label sheet is pre-printed and where it's selling in Paphos stores or you printing it by yourself ?
I would carry one page for such occasions. :pow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:52 pm 
Top of the pops

migmogs wrote:
Flipping heck
Take a chill pill

You are NOT the police

Damn ! I got it ! I'm old fool - that was you !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:57 pm 
Top of the pops

This 'discussion' reminds me of a Monty Python event :-
"It's not pining. It's passed on. This parrot is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its maker. This is a late parrot. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. If you hadn't nailed it to the perch, it would be pushing up the daisies. It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. THIS IS AN EX-PARROT" !!!.
(Monty Python's Flying Circus).
Has someone (anyone) got something (anything) to add .... of 'information/value to the community' on this page ?
:greetings

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:24 pm 
Top of the pops

Alexis wrote:
From the photographs provided showing the parked car:

From both directions I see that it is parked close to kerb and facing the correct way, good visibility from all directions.

If I was approaching the vehicle from behind I would certainly not be doing 50 Kph (more likely 15-20 Kph) in anticipation of another vehicle coming round the bend towards me, before indicating and overtaking when the road is clear.

Please look again - a few cars parked out of lane, only Suzuki took half of a lane and created dangerous collision conditions for cars going in opposite directions same time. Yes, it's 50 kmps limits, but you and me just two of us... from 100s other drivers passing the spot.

Last edited by Sergio on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:29 pm 
Top of the pops

SFD wrote:
"It's not pining. It's passed on. This parrot is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its maker. This is a late parrot. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. If you hadn't nailed it to the perch, it would be pushing up the daisies. It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. THIS IS AN EX-PARROT" !!!.
Has someone (anyone) got something (anything) to add .... of 'information/value to the community' on this page ?

You shouldn't show your absence from discussing valuable points, e.g. road rules and selfish presence on a road behind steering wheel...
Well, if you can't stay on topic and say something with a value to the topic, start your own, with Monty Python jokes, for example.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:49 pm 
Top of the pops

Sergio wrote:
SFD wrote:

You shouldn't show your absence from discussing valuable points, e.g. road rules and selfish presence on a road behind steering wheel...
Well, if you can't stay on topic and say something with a value to the topic, start your own, with Monty Python jokes, for example.

Now .... that reminds me of "The Argument Sketch" (Monty Python's Flying Circus).
At least we don't have to pay to 'join in' here. :smilielol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:53 pm 
Top of the pops

Interesting things... I did pass the spot a few times today; first time driving from the monastery down, I saw the (same ?) Suzuki parked at left side, in same row of other cars - good sign ! Perhaps she is reading the forum or "migmogs" have some relation to the case :banana .
Other thing what I found, following small truck on a way up to the monastery and measuring its speed at the point exactly (an enter to cafee), before and after - he drove 60+ kmph ! It's clearly show how dangerous accident could be.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:55 pm 
Rock Star

Just a small point for those that may not be aware, there is no access to the cafe from the car park below.
you have to walk up the bank and around to where the cafe is to get in.
we have been a few times and love the view from there.
we all ways turn the car around to the other side of the road for our return trip home.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:14 pm 
Rock Star

I have the bragging rights, since I have been back in the UK I have seen some pretty horrendous parking and driving, it makes driving in Cyprus a doddle, you should think yourself lucky, however just before I came back I took this with my mobile phone, look at the bumper well there you go.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:02 am 
Major

Try getting out or into the junction from Konia to Geriskipou near the betting shop and Bikers bar pedestrian crossing
There is a very large car park located just 50 meters from there but patrons of the MOT ,cafe and betting shop insist on parking out front blocking the road to less than one lane. There is also a pedestrian crossing right on the turning point but it doesn't stop some from parking on it at the square side again cutting the road to less than a lane.
With regards to both Lidl stores plenty of parking but with the same mentality why walk more than 20 meters when you can stop right next to the store entrance / exit ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:33 am 
Top of the pops

I would post pictures ... perhaps one day traffic police will take them seriously and force drivers to obey rules by fining those who're "don't care" .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:54 pm 
Top of the pops

Sergio wrote:
I would post pictures ... perhaps one day traffic police will take them seriously and force drivers to obey rules by fining those who're "don't care" .

Sergio, it will never happen. The Paphos police won't do as you want, as they are either friends or related to the drivers,
and when the Nicosia Police come to Paphos, they are only generally interested in speeding offences, not mobile phone usage, red light running, bad parking etc.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body