The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:27 am 
Rock Star

Polemi Dave wrote:
We were still making between 13KWH & 15.3KWH per day every day last week. :sunny

Does that mean you'll be able to buy an electric banjo?

Diddle um dum dum.

:pow :celebrate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:30 am 
Star

We made 325Kwh in December and 10.5 yesterday which was surprising, problem is I'm not sure how to workout credits against usage, any advice would be helpful.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:46 am 
Top of the pops

Polemi Dave wrote:
Only 130 left, we still have 460. :sunny

Unfortunately, my meaning of negative value is nothing left and I'm own the damn 130 KWh.
So, my hope is for sunny days in January and February to compensate this and cover other consuming electricity during the two months.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:28 pm 
Top of the pops

Jim B
You just need to read the meter for electric in (mine is No2) against electric out (no3 for us). I can send you an excel file to keep a record on computer. The inverter read-outs are helpful but the only thing that counts is what the EAC meter says and quite often it will read differently to your inverter.

Bassman - you are a pain, I can't understand how you are back with the same nonsense. Not for long I hope.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:48 pm 
Top of the pops

Polemi Dave wrote:
Jim B
You just need to read the meter for electric in (mine is No2) against electric out (no3 for us). I can send you an excel file to keep a record on computer. The inverter read-outs are helpful but the only thing that counts is what the EAC meter says and quite often it will read differently to your inverter.

That's what I found too ... I can't find where is the error on my side !
To explain the numbers I got my own special meter - SmartPower from nPower company... still puzzled.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:02 pm 
Star

Thanks Dave; got it.

The Excel file would be handy; please would you e-mail it top me.

Kind Regards

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:41 pm 
Top of the pops

Jim B wrote:
Thanks Dave; got it.

The Excel file would be handy; please would you e-mail it top me.

Kind Regards

Jim

Jim
Sure thing just PM me your email. I will send you my record since April 14 in an Excell spread sheet. If you delete my figures without deleting the embedded formula, you should be able to put in your own past EAC readings from your bills. Then enter your readings today to see exactly where you are in between the EAC billing cycle. :sunny

Sergio, I think you will find that most of the difference is that you are using AC power that has been inverted BEFORE it reaches the EAC meter. So if your fridge is using 2amps and you are producing 3amps only 1 amp goes into the grid.
Nor indeed can you trust the inverter, they are not calibrated or intended as anything more than a guide. EAC will never accept the inverter reading.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:05 pm 
Top of the pops

Polemi Dave wrote:
Sergio, I think you will find that most of the difference is that you are using AC power that has been inverted BEFORE it reaches the EAC meter. So if your fridge is using 2amps and you are producing 3amps only 1 amp goes into the grid.
Nor indeed can you trust the inverter, they are not calibrated or intended as anything more than a guide. EAC will never accept the inverter reading.

You are absolutely right - AiK will never accept my numbers from the inverter's measuring system nor my nPower meter.

Same time as a person, who did touch development of inverter's FW for one startup in CA, without calibration the system does pretty good measure, in +/-5% range and it would satisfy my curiosity, if the common picture would be more clear.

As to how calculate energy (not just a power or a current) of in/out/taken parts... I know physical law :).
Just cannot connect all dots yet to get a picture what are reflecting the electrical rules. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:34 pm 

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have found the very educative discussion here.
I am contemplating to have a net metering system installed and have tried to do some numbers on economic vialbilty.
Would some of the moer experienced users here perhaps cast an eye and comment and/or answer some questions?

Installers Gesolar http://www.gesolarcyprus.com/en/solutio ... oggle-id-2
have published the following data suggesting them to describe a typical yield for a 3kw/h installation:

Production
Jan 353
Feb 307
Mar 400
Apr 461
May 459
Jun 464
Jul 473
Aug 462
Sep 508
Ocz 457
Npv 376
Dez 290

My bi-monthly billing period ends between 11th and 15th February. I have assumed this to be the cut-off date for
Solar carry-forward also (is that correct in the light of the recent EAC “decision”??).
With a bit of smoothing to make production-periods match billing – periods I have then compared solar yield
to our historic power consumption (all in kw/h):

Period ending Billed Expected Excess Carry To be
consumption Production forward paid for
16.4 1341 840 -501 -501 501
11.6 728 844 116 116
12.8 586 952 366 482
13.10 476 983 507 989
10.12 908 732 -176 813
11.2 1853 649 -1204 -391 391
5892 5000 892

The outcome is not surprising: For three billing period there is not enough production to cover our consumption.
Whilst the autumn deficit (billed mid-December) the carry forward from earlier months suffices to compensate,
For the billing periods ending in February and April we would still have to pay. In total we would have to pay for @ 900kw/h
Instead of @ 5900. On the back of an envelope this suggests an annual saving of @800€ compared to a capital outlay of
more than €5000.

One potential supplier proposed to increase the size of the installation to 4kwp. Numbers done in the same fashion would leave us
short 220 kw/h in spring (period ending mid-April) whilst the summerly carry forwards would leave us almost 1000kw/h in surplus (and effectively economically wasted) in mid-February.

However, the post by PW in Polemi dated 1/1 gives me some hope: He quotes EAC as saying:
“the final clearing of surplus electricity of Net Metering Producers/Consumers (Prosumers) as carried out by EAC, is February-March every year”

I currently do not have such a billing period. Mine are mid-Dec to mid-Feb and mid-Feb-mid-AprApr. Does anyone one whether these periods can be changed in the process of
applying for net metering? Because then much of the mid-Apr deficit would be covered by the excess carry forward from mid-Feb?

Maybe a 3.5 kwp installation would then be sort of viable.

Two questions remain though.
I have not been able to obtain a satisfactory answer in respect of permissions required. Of course EAC needs to agree and test. However: Is a planning/building permit required since
Photovoltaics change the appearance of a building? And also: is agreement from neigborurs required? We have a small house in a small development (all “villas”or “attached”) with
Every unit with is own title deed. Will I need permission from other owners since a possible installation may have an impact on their views?

And then: Electricity tariffs are about to change. Read more on https://www.eac.com.cy/EN/EAC/NewsAndAn ... 0Study.pdf
The new system will in a first step do away with “layered” charges and apply a uniform tariff per kw/h. In a second step we will face the
Installation of STOD meters (under this metering system your usage will be split into different times of the day and different months throughout the year) with the most expensive times being daytime in summer (!) I now wonder whether really any own usage (in the house) of solar electricity is taken off before a surplus is metered and credited or whether in reality all solar electricity
is being fed into the grid and only netted off against all power used in the same period. In the latter case economics would change substantially, I believe.

Many thanks in advance
For checking/comparing my data and providing advice/answers.

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:02 pm 
Top of the pops

tsadapeter wrote:
Hi,

I am new to this forum and have found the very educative discussion here.
I am contemplating to have a net metering system installed and have tried to do some numbers on economic vialbilty.
Would some of the moer experienced users here perhaps cast an eye and comment and/or answer some questions?

Installers Gesolar http://www.gesolarcyprus.com/en/solutio ... oggle-id-2
have published the following data suggesting them to describe a typical yield for a 3kw/h installation:

Code:
Production   
Jan   353
Feb   307
Mar   400
Apr   461
May   459
Jun   464
Jul   473
Aug   462
Sep   508
Ocz   457
Npv   376
Dez   290

My bi-monthly billing period ends between 11th and 15th February. I have assumed this to be the cut-off date for
Solar carry-forward also (is that correct in the light of the recent EAC “decision”??).
With a bit of smoothing to make production-periods match billing – periods I have then compared solar yield
to our historic power consumption (all in kw/h):

Code:
Period ending   Billed     Expected     Excess   Carry      To be
              consumption    Production        forward   paid for
16.04        1341            840      -501       -501         501
11.06         728            844       116        116   
12.08         586            952       366        482   
13.10         476            983       507        989   
10.12         908            732      -176        813   
11.02        1853            649      -1204      -391         391
             5892           5000                              892

The outcome is not surprising: For three billing period there is not enough production to cover our consumption.
Whilst the autumn deficit (billed mid-December) the carry forward from earlier months suffices to compensate,
For the billing periods ending in February and April we would still have to pay. In total we would have to pay for @ 900kw/h
Instead of @ 5900. On the back of an envelope this suggests an annual saving of @800€ compared to a capital outlay of
more than €5000.

One potential supplier proposed to increase the size of the installation to 4kwp. Numbers done in the same fashion would leave us
short 220 kw/h in spring (period ending mid-April) whilst the summerly carry forwards would leave us almost 1000kw/h in surplus (and effectively economically wasted) in mid-February.

However, the post by PW in Polemi dated 1/1 gives me some hope: He quotes EAC as saying:
“the final clearing of surplus electricity of Net Metering Producers/Consumers (Prosumers) as carried out by EAC, is February-March every year”

I currently do not have such a billing period. Mine are mid-Dec to mid-Feb and mid-Feb-mid-AprApr. Does anyone one whether these periods can be changed in the process of
applying for net metering? Because then much of the mid-Apr deficit would be covered by the excess carry forward from mid-Feb?

Maybe a 3.5 kwp installation would then be sort of viable.

Two questions remain though.
I have not been able to obtain a satisfactory answer in respect of permissions required. Of course EAC needs to agree and test. However: Is a planning/building permit required since
Photovoltaics change the appearance of a building? And also: is agreement from neigborurs required? We have a small house in a small development (all “villas”or “attached”) with
Every unit with is own title deed. Will I need permission from other owners since a possible installation may have an impact on their views?

And then: Electricity tariffs are about to change. Read more on https://www.eac.com.cy/EN/EAC/NewsAndAn ... 0Study.pdf
The new system will in a first step do away with “layered” charges and apply a uniform tariff per kw/h. In a second step we will face the
Installation of STOD meters (under this metering system your usage will be split into different times of the day and different months throughout the year) with the most expensive times being daytime in summer (!) I now wonder whether really any own usage (in the house) of solar electricity is taken off before a surplus is metered and credited or whether in reality all solar electricity
is being fed into the grid and only netted off against all power used in the same period. In the latter case economics would change substantially, I believe.

Many thanks in advance
For checking/comparing my data and providing advice/answers.

Peter

I would add CODE tags to easy reading ...

"Typical" - I wouldn't take it as granted before I will see and compare the "typical" installation and my own real position of PV panels. For example see my graphs above.
BTW, now AiK allow to install up to 5 KW power PV system.
You don't need to do anything about planning permit,etc - the installation company will make all papers to necessary offices.
If you have own title deeds, your neighbors should not involved.

AiK bill naming that "surplus electricity" as "Credit Units (KWh) brought forward XXX"

I put your typical table and my on one plot.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:31 am 

Thanks, Sergio,

your graph seems to suggest that "reality" falls substantially hort of "typical".
However, did you not suggest earlier your setup was not quite optimal such
that underproduction occurs?

Thanks for the other points.

One or two questions still open though.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:35 am 
Top of the pops

Yes, reading the thread you should see all details about my real setup ... that's what I'm expecting to correct - I have my idea how-to and working on it.

What other two qs still not answered ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:12 am 
Top of the pops

I'd like to share my idea of buying net-metering PV system...

After two full years living here, I gathered some info for my decision:
- my yearly electricity bill did show ~2500 KWh and I didn't spent it without conservative approach
- I bought a couple of truck-load of wood for my fireplace in living room eg spent ~e300
- I spent ~ e100 for a couple of 50Kg gas tanks using it for heating of bedrooms

- there is practical recommendation for keep your house warm: your heating devices must provide 100W/m2 (what would come to 7 KW in my case).

Adding to that my post-factum experience - this winter (having some surplus KWhs from PV system) I did try to keep my rooms at +18C by deploy a few electrical 2KW heaters with limiting power to 750 W each, running those 24/7 with internal thermostat. That's increased power consumption for another 30 KWh/day.
What basically bring me missing parameter of winter electricity consumption for my goal: do not use gas heaters and wood for fireplace.
I've estimate it as 1 MWh per winter months; so, for 1/2 of Nov, Dec, Jan and 1/2 of Feb it would require roughly 4 MWh.
Taking into the account another 600-700-800 KWh for A/C, I come close to AiK limit of generated/accumulated 5,000 KWh per year.

Last edited by Sergio on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:32 pm 

It would appear, Dear Sergio, that you are more prepared than I currently am, to accept quite a long payback period. My "back of envelope" numbers suggest an annual saving of approx. 800€ for an initial outlay of say 5.500€ - close to 12 years.
There is likelihood of repairs becoming necessary after 15 years (at least inverters/optimizers/meters) and nobody is quite sure how long panels will last.
Are you, therefore, going solar/electric for convenience and to avaoid handling wood and gas cylinders?
Or where is the fault in my thinking?

The high level environmental discussion cannot really be a driver, can it? Most folks agree that at least currently and for most products the carbon-emission-payback is longer than the financial payback for solar installations....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:21 pm 
Top of the pops

Peter, if you'll read back the thread you'll find my calculation of ROI, and it will be much longer then your, realistically speaking. I'm accepted that outcome before I ordered the system. And yes, I'd like the convenience of using electricity for house heating/cooling, but for stove(!). There I'm prefer natural gas. :)
As to green energy, well I'm all for it, just treat it as a bonus for the environment this time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:24 pm 

Well spoken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:47 am 
Top of the pops

Tsada Peter
You have to accept that Sergio has not had his system long and its positioning is less than ideal.

I recently sent Jim B my full usage and generating table since early 2014 and he found it useful.
In the early years the carry over cut off was 31/12 then it moved to 30 April and last year to 28 February. The end of February is the best cut off time to use up any surplus.
However to get the best out of any setup on a 365 day basis the panels must face due south and have no sunlight obstructions. Even a telegraph pole can cut 25% or more off production. About 40% pitch is best for all year round generation. Keeping panels clean of dust and bird dung also makes a big difference.

I can send you this one page table in excel from 2014 to date, then you would be able to put your own usage in but keep my generation as a guide. If you want this pm me your email.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:16 pm 

Many thanks, Dave,

I´ll pm you seperately.

Of more general interest might be 2 questions:

My current billing periods are up to 11/2 and then to mid March. EAC won´t change the rhythm of there Meter readings just for me, I suppose. How can I get them to use the bill up to 10/4 for the cutoff, I wonder. Mid Feb is too early... we use too much energy after that and will face a large waste in the cutoff if my numbers are anything to go bye.

You are suggesting a 40 degree tilt. Most programmes available on the net suggest, once allowing for latitude/longitude and height above sea level something like 30. So do potential installers. Any reason why you chose differently?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:52 pm 
Top of the pops

Peter
Your billing period will then be as you say mid March. If you read the EAC site you will see either End Feb or March. End of Feb is best but that is luck of the draw.
Obviously your installer will recommend a pitch and they know better than I. My installer set mine because it is ground level and can be set, I am not 100% sure of the exact pitch. He thought and I think still does that there is plenty of PV in the summer months but 40% ish angle is best in winter and shoulder months.

I used Andi Solartec and have recommended him many times. He would give you the best option for your needs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:10 pm 

Polemi Dave wrote:
Peter
Your billing period will then be as you say mid March. If you read the EAC site you will see either End Feb or March.

Thanks, but my current periods are Dec-11 Feb and 11Feb-April. So currently I have no suitable date, neither in Feb (too early for me) nor in March.
Wonder what I can do.

As to Andi: They appear to be shut "because of excessive wealth". At least mails com back with the comment "mailbox full". Ans, really, I am not inclined to comission a company with high tech jobs who cannot even manage or attend to their email.......

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:29 pm 
Rock Star

We enquired about Solar Panels in the UK and it was a minefield, there were all sorts of incentives but each came with a snag.
The price was £15000 from nearly all the providers.
Unless you paid up front they used all sorts of scaremongering with the worst being "we own your roof for 15yrs so you won't be able to sell your house" this is because according to them they lease your roof until the system is paid for (15yr term).
Needless to say at our age we won't be going down the road of solar panels and have followed the cavity/loft insulation and LED lighting throughout route

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:40 pm 
Rock Star

Polemi Dave wrote:
Jim B
Bassman - you are a pain, I can't understand how you are back with the same nonsense. Not for long I hope.

Come on Dave, just a bit of humour, no offence meant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:00 pm 
Top of the pops

tsadapeter wrote:
Thanks, but my current periods are Dec-11 Feb and 11Feb-April. So currently I have no suitable date, neither in Feb (too early for me) nor in March.
Wonder what I can do.

As to Andi: They appear to be shut "because of excessive wealth". At least mails com back with the comment "mailbox full". Ans, really, I am not inclined to comission a company with high tech jobs who cannot even manage or attend to their email.......

I think you worry too much about when EAC read you meter - they can be 10-14 days late in reading your meter. I am fairly confident your cut off date will be the February bill - received late February.

As to Andreas at Solartec. I think your comment is very unfair. He is a small business and there is no need to have is wife keeping the shop open 40 hours a week in mid winter so people can come in just to ask directions. Yes he like many many Cypriots cannot get to grips with the internet and I do know his email has been down for several weeks. (If you have lived here a few years, you should not expect Cypriots to reply to emails) His mobile number is 99647164, just ask him to come and see you. I cannot speak more highly of his installations, after sale service and guarantees. His prices are kept down because he does not have fancy showrooms and numbers of staff. I have had 3 installations done by him since 2011.
I am sure others who have used him will agree.

Basseman - Net metering costs anything from €4,500 upwards in Cyprus. It cannot be compared with UK because of the intensity of sunlight (not the heat) and the number of hours of uninterrupted sun every day. My view domestic PV not a good idea for UK but a very good idea in Cyprus. Almost every third house in Polemi seems to have PV Cypriots do not waste their money on electricity bills if they don't need to.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:39 pm 

No offence intended, Dave. However, people running flash websites and inviting mails to their contact address should be able to receive. This does not require anyone to be in an office in winter, just a little bit of attention/care.

For me this is important as mail is my preferred mode of communication - with suppliers in particular. Such I can keep a trail of communication. After 12 years here I have had too many promises made and forgotten.

So as much as I like what you say about him, he is probably not a partner for me. I will still give him a call tomorrow. See how quickly he´ll respond.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:13 pm 
Top of the pops

I suggest you tell him PD recommended him and he will be up same day. :sunny
Honest could save you a lot of money. He speaks excellent German and English.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:03 pm 
Rock Star

Polemi Dave wrote:

Basseman - Net metering costs anything from €4,500 upwards in Cyprus. It cannot be compared with UK because of the intensity of sunlight (not the heat) and the number of hours of uninterrupted sun every day. My view domestic PV not a good idea for UK but a very good idea in Cyprus. Almost every third house in Polemi seems to have PV Cypriots do not waste their money on electricity bills if they don't need to.

Solar panels were fitted on most houses way back in 1966 when we lived in Limassol, although not of the current type the were still very effective by working on the convection principle with magnified heat due to the sun shining through a glass panel onto what was similar to a car radiator, from there the heated water passed into a large storage cylinder on the roof.
Solar panels are now being seen in fields in the UK the same as we've seen in Cyprus.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:22 pm 
Top of the pops

I don't know have you have done it Basseman but you have managed to mix up hot water heating panels with solar voltaic panels (or photo voltaic panels) for electricity. In 1966 there was no such thing as PV panels anywhere.

Net metering of PV panels as used in Cyprus where the consumer is credited for over production to be drawn down later in the year, is NOT available in the UK.

I am sorry but as regards this thread it is impossible to make any connection either with hot water or what happens in UK.
Here is a links you might like to read, if you are still unclear. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_metering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:30 pm 

Good afternoon Dave, I have sent you a pm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:23 pm 
Rock Star

Polemi Dave wrote:
I don't know have you have done it Basseman but you have managed to mix up hot water heating panels with solar voltaic panels (or photo voltaic panels) for electricity. In 1966 there was no such thing as PV panels anywhere.

Net metering of PV panels as used in Cyprus where the consumer is credited for over production to be drawn down later in the year, is NOT available in the UK.

I am sorry but as regards this thread it is impossible to make any connection either with hot water or what happens in UK.
Here is a links you might like to read, if you are still unclear. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_metering

I was merely pointing out that Cyprus has a long history of using solar power regarding utlilities. that's all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:23 am 

I would like to thank Polemi Dave and Sergio for their helpful comments. I shall revert to Dave on the data he has kindly sent.

For a newcomer to this forum it is a bit frustrating to see that this forum is little different from any other:
Individuals free of any useful knowledge quite easily manage to hijack and convolute threads/subjects, and even from as far afield as Derbyshire some feel it necessary to muddle a rather subtle, very local and very technical discussion in Cyprus. But maybe this was part of a long standing banter which I just failed to pick up....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:22 am 
Idol

I used Andi Solartec and have recommended him many times. He would give you the best option for your needs.[/quote]

Andreas installed my PV system and it has delivered everything expected. 2016 produced 4800kw , we used a/c 20 hours a day for 2 months. Have only paid 30 euros for taking electricity from the grid in a year . So one very happy bunny. It's a no brainer.
Thanks Dave for the original recommendation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:01 am 
Top of the pops

stormy wrote:
Quote:
I used Andi Solartec and have recommended him many times. He would give you the best option for your needs.

Andreas installed my PV system and it has delivered everything expected. 2016 produced 4800kw , we used a/c 20 hours a day for 2 months. Have only paid 30 euros for taking electricity from the grid in a year . So one very happy bunny. It's a no brainer.
Thanks Dave for the original recommendation.

stormy, I'm curious - e30/y looks very minuscule to my experience. I'm pay each bill e30 !
Could you clarify and reveal your full balance with AiK bills during whole 2016?

Last edited by Sergio on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:16 am 
Idol

Sergio , you will know that meters still have to be read bi-monthly , for which EAC charge 30 euros inc vat. I said in my posting the charge for taking electricity from the grid. Hope that makes it clear.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:46 am 
Top of the pops

You're correct, I did a change in my post.

So, you've got your PV system up and running same time as myself [8 Aug] ... In my case, I didn't pay for energy from a grid in second half of 2016, just two bi-monthly fee, e68 total.

To my full disclosure, my current balance is -130 Kwh (I'm own AiK).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:31 am 
Top of the pops

Well guys, I must be more frugal with Electricity than you. Apart from the standing charges POS tax etc - I have not paid for a single unit since April 2014. Last year EAC caught me on the hop by moving the cut off date back from April to February and I lost 267 units which caused me much metal anguish. :taz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:35 am 
Top of the pops

Polemi Dave wrote:
Well guys, I must be more frugal with Electricity than you. Apart from the standing charges POS tax etc - I have not paid for a single unit since April 2014. Last year EAC caught me on the hop by moving the cut off date back from April to February and I lost 267 units which caused me much metal anguish. :taz

not that bad, as in normal (not net-metering) life, it would cost you less then e40 ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:58 am 
Idol

I'm happy with the performance of my panels , more or less exactly as predicted by Andreas. Would be more , but for the chimney stack and panels not pointing exactly south.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:06 am 

Just as a feedback to Polemi Dave:

Yes, I made contact with Andy, he was here twice and has made an offer. He left a very good impression. His offer, like for like, was at a price similar to that of Greenair but somewhat worse on factory guarantees (whatever they may be worth). Together, however, we decided not to follow up because some shade may reduce annual production very substantially.

I would still recommend him to everyone who might be interested.....

Thanks, Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:22 am 
Star

Some of my 19 panels are facing East, some South and some West, with the pitch of the roof most of the panels are in direct sunlight till late afternoon, some are shaded by our water tank for a certain period and up to this morning we have produced a 170.88 Kwh for this month. I'm very pleased with the system from Green Air; I've used them for maintenance call outs on our Solar Pump and usually are out the same day.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:44 am 
Top of the pops

Jim B wrote:
Some of my 19 panels are facing East, some South and some West, with the pitch of the roof most of the panels are in direct sunlight till late afternoon, some are shaded by our water tank for a certain period and up to this morning we have produced a 170.88 Kwh for this month. ...

Jim

Looks like you bought 5 KW system ...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:57 am 
Star

Sergio wrote:
Jim B wrote:
Some of my 19 panels are facing East, some South and some West, with the pitch of the roof most of the panels are in direct sunlight till late afternoon, some are shaded by our water tank for a certain period and up to this morning we have produced a 170.88 Kwh for this month. ...

Jim

Looks like you bought 5 KW system ...

Yes

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:07 pm 
Idol

Our 3kw system has produced 120kw so far this month, given the rain/clouds and lack of sunshine, acceptable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:59 am 
Top of the pops

Took a snapshot of energy produced in January 2017.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Sergio on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:41 am 
Top of the pops

Sergio
If I was going to break my legal agreement with EAC, I certainly would not be broadcasting the facts. Employees of EAC do read the forums and knowing the area you live in. Also there are people both Brits and Cypriots who are negative towards PV, as they think they are subsidising PV. It would not take Sherlock Holmes to find your property. You will definitely face a fine and back tax if it comes to their attention, but the worst would be being cut off while you wait for the inspectors to schedule a compliance inspection of your new installation, a wait of a month or so I understand.

You won't be the first to do this but I suggest you keep it quiet "and don't poke the bear." :bat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:52 am 
Top of the pops

Damn !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:47 am 
Top of the pops

Here is February result (with little tweaking tilt of panels).

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:36 pm 
Top of the pops

Seems to me that tilting of PV panels provide gathering more energy, looking at March and April graphs.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:01 pm 
Top of the pops

My PV was a bit down yesterday, so a hosed them down. Unfortunately they remained still dirty, so I gave them a mop down with a soapy mop and rinsed again. I did this around lunchtime and during a full day picked up almost a a full KW over the previous day.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:59 pm 
Top of the pops

Same routine I did a couple days ago; for me it's easy to check dirtiness as I have quick access to my roof. BTW, tilted panels take less dirt and often cleaned by water without mopping. So far I found it is not necessary to use a soap on my setup.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:48 pm 
Top of the pops

Sergio

If you can easily reach your panels after spraying them with water, try wiping a wet soapy tissue over the panel surface - you will be surprised how much dirt does has not dissolved in ordinary water. Rather like screen wash makes windscreens clean up squeaky clean.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body