The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Logs ( wooden Type )
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:13 pm 
Top of the pops

Bossy Boots, FWIW I would not be tempted by the Forest Wood. We tried it and found it did not burn so well, nor throw out so much heat as traditional hardwoods like carob, olive, lemon and almond. So we would choose to pay a little more and get the better woods.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:58 pm 
Top of the pops

a tiny few forest woods, caused tar and lots of soot to form in our log burner

we now only ever burn hard woods in our log burner as directed by manufacturer

we have found for us Carob and Olive Woods to be the best for cleanliness and heat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:40 pm 
Rock Star

Thanks for your advice Lloyd and Migmogs - I was not tempted by a 10 Euro reduction!! We have not had a log burner before as in our other house it was just a glass fronted fireplace. We used pallets then for sticks and did get a lot of tar residue so can I ask what others use for kindling to start off their log burners?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:23 pm 
Top of the pops

Bossy Boots wrote:
Thanks for your advice Lloyd and Migmogs - I was not tempted by a 10 Euro reduction!! We have not had a log burner before as in our other house it was just a glass fronted fireplace. We used pallets then for sticks and did get a lot of tar residue so can I ask what others use for kindling to start off their log burners?

You are right to steer clear of all soft woods and forest woods BB
My husband uses paper rolls and small olive wood kindling or some small branches of dried Carob, we use no soft woods at all, sometimes he uses a couple of fire lighters as well.

We buy summer time and keep our wood in a dedicated wood shed to make sure that the wood is properly seasoned and dry

We are already drying out and storing next years kindling that was given to us in the autumn, from a neighbor who was chopping back his Olive and Carob Trees, kindly gave us the branches from his garden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:08 am 
Top of the pops

Softwood is OK for kindling, hard woods are best for the main burn. For the past five years we've sawn and chopped up pallets for kindling. They burn through in a matter of minutes, so no soot or long-term effect on the chimney. You can find discarded pallets littering everywhere in Paphos. It's worth investing in a few tools to take pallets apart if you do not have them already, as they will then generate free kindling for life. We scrunch up pages from newspaper and make a mound of those, then surround with softwood kindling, then with slightly larger natural kindling. Guaranteed results every time :grin:

If you ask Ireni she will incorporate a certain amount of kindling in with the logs. You should save old newspapers right throughout the year, as it's surprising how many you will get through in our very brief winter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:14 am 
Top of the pops

I'm using FlameFast [white] firelighters selling in every grocery/DIY store.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:36 pm 
Top of the pops

Yes, when we're short of kindling we've used those as well, to ensure the fire 'takes'.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:58 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
We scrunch up pages from newspaper and make a mound of those, then surround with softwood kindling, then with slightly larger natural kindling. Guaranteed results every time :grin:

We adopt this method & agree it works well.
Sometimes in periods of high humidity the paper proves difficult to light, so we have now taken to lightly spraying the paper with kerosene when it is situ within the log burner, it works a treat & is inexpensive.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:45 am 
Top of the pops

We use Irene, she is good and wood fine, but I also make my own compressed burners.

Simple process. Get internal tubes from printers (they usually chuck them out) like massive toilet roll tubes. I then mulch paper, sawdust, bits of twigs and other burnables in water, compress them into the tubes and allow to dry for 2-3 weeks.

They burn hot, long and gradually with no spitting etc. If I start the open fire with one near the bottom it will burn hot past the wood and keep the fireplace warm until morning. At bedtime the tubes continue through the night so we put a brick sideways next to the fire for the Sphynx cat to enjoy the extra heat. If we dont lay the brick she will go right into the fireplace and get covered in ash.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:17 am 
Top of the pops

Last news from the "market": Irene just delivered a truck load of logs (lemon and carob) for e140 and she did a courtesy of unloading it into my garden's corner (by her husband's work and my wheelbarrow :) ).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:44 pm 
Rock Star

Yeah I reckon Irene is the Boss in that household!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:33 am 
Junior

I have just ordered a double cab of firewood from Irene. I called her thurdsay night, she delivered it friday morning. Joyfull, happy to work, nothing too much trouble attitude, what a breeze of fresh air.
Her prices are definitively steep at €150/double cab, but the wood is indeed perfect for our open fire place. Some larger piece are still going when we get up in the morning, great stuff. Some smaller pieces were hissing a bit but they burn just fine. All in all we're happy and shall be ordering from her again. Carob, olive and lemon seems to be what she has.
I offered to pick up the wood myself from her in Emba but for only €10 discount it wasn't worth my time and effort.
I look forwards to her summer discount and shall stock up our wood pile then.
Great service, muchly recommended!
Clem

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:44 pm 
Top of the pops

Glad you're pleased Clem; there are many on this forum who use, and like, Irene. I know where Akourdalia is (having visited the Christmas market) so would expect her to pitch the price up a little to cover the additional distance, time and fuel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:04 pm 
Junior

€10 for delivery from paphos with a double cab is nothing though, only just covers the cost I would shave thought. 30min there, 30min back. €10 is nothing. She was going to charge me €140 if I picked it up. If anybody pays less than that I would like to know about it obviously! :-)

We're doing anther farmers and crafters market next sunday (7/feb) if you are up for another adventure up! Every first sunday of the month.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:32 am 
Forum Admin

we are havinf log burner put in the bar this week, so might need some logs..
the pproblem is storage space ,, do they do half loads ??

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:31 am 
Rock Star

Well we had a full load this week Neil and we have quite a large plastic storage box - I would say that only fitted half of the logs in so that might give you some idea of the storage you need. Irene will probably bring you half a load but it might be a bit dearer than half the price of a full load.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:44 am 
Top of the pops

Neil, the load from her truck did fit into two 1m3 builder's square bags (used for sand, gravel, etc).

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body