Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:50 pm 
Regular

I have just telephoned Santander Bank as I had not received a new bank card. After much delay and consultation with various managers, I was told that Santander no longer send bank cards or PIN numbers by post to Cyprus. It is considered to be potentially dangerous and war is a distinct possibility. I asked if I could collect a card when in uk but told it could only be posted to my address on record. Only this week I received a new cheque book and statement. Unbelievable.......there is no way of me getting cash either here or UK. I have to open another account with another uk bank and transfer money on-line. Do you think this decision is because of the unstable condition of Cyprus Banks????? Incidentally I asked if they could use the registered postal service, but told NO that is not their policy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:09 pm 
Top of the pops

It doesn't really surprise me. Not the chance of war, which is laughable, but the poor customer service to oveseas customers.
I changed my bank and have no problems at all now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:17 pm 
Top of the pops

The whole of the region has always been unstable, but Cyprus is a member of the EU and should be treated as such. Opening a UK Bank account, when you don't live in the UK will be virtually impossible unless you are already an account holder with that bank ... and it is not Santander.

I would be inclined to look at offshore banking. Try HSBC. They have no qualms about sending cards etc to Cyprus.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:13 pm 
Top of the pops

In all the surveys which are carried out on banks/building societies, Santander always comes near the bottom - if not bottom. Promises to do better, but of course never does...next year still near the bottom.

Couldn't be ar**d dealing with nincompoop companies like this. First Direct are always top of the tree when it comes to banking surveys and they give me impeccable service here in Cyprus.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:15 pm 
Top of the pops

fashionista wrote:
I have just telephoned Santander Bank as I had not received a new bank card. After much delay and consultation with various managers, I was told that Santander no longer send bank cards or PIN numbers by post to Cyprus. It is considered to be potentially dangerous and war is a distinct possibility. I asked if I could collect a card when in uk but told it could only be posted to my address on record. Only this week I received a new cheque book and statement. Unbelievable.......there is no way of me getting cash either here or UK. I have to open another account with another uk bank and transfer money on-line. Do you think this decision is because of the unstable condition of Cyprus Banks????? Incidentally I asked if they could use the registered postal service, but told NO that is not their policy.

You could change your recorded address?

Lesley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:46 pm 
Master

Here's what some of Santander Banks other disgruntled customers thought of them :grin:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:20 pm 
Star

fashionista wrote:

Cyprus potentially dangerous,,for gods sake what planet are these people from :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:29 pm 
Major

Would you believe it, I have been with Santander since they took over from Abbey, can't fault them, great service, great website no problems.

I must be lucky,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:38 pm 
Rock Star

Cyprus potentially dangerous!

look out we might hit an Iceberg.

Any one in the crows nest tonight.

:manic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:41 am 
Top of the pops

Glang3000 wrote:
Would you believe it, I have been with Santander since they took over from Abbey, can't fault them, great service, great website no problems. I must be lucky,

Indeed you must be. These people aren't quite so impressed: http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.santander.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:20 am 
Rock Star

We have an account with Santander, and I must say they have been very good with us.
No problems when I phone them from here.
One of the staff in Sunderland told us we could not register our cyprus as our home address for the account in the UK, she told us to use a UK address so we did.
Friends in the Uk have let us use their address, no problems their.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:44 am 
Star

I'm very happy with Santander and have been for several years. Their internet banking is suberb, very well laid out, very user friendly. I have 4 accounts with them - current, savings, ISA and credit card. Transfer of money to/from these accounts from my acccounts with other banks is simple and instantaneous.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:14 pm 
Top of the pops

Cyprus is classed military wise as being in a confrontational war zone. Perhaps the head honcho in Santander bank is ex military and has the snout? :crylaughin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:23 pm 
Graduate

Location: Shrewsbury Shropshire, but preparing for a new adventure
First Direct man myself. Been with them since they started with internet banking in 1989.............in the first 200 customers.

Can't fault them in any way. Statements and new cards are sent to my private PO Box here in Cyprus. They even refund my mobile phone charges to my current account when I have the need to talk to them. ;)

Rob

I'm not lost...........just undiscovered.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:20 pm 
Top of the pops

It's good that some people do have a good experience of Santander. Realise we're getting a bit off track here, but this is the Which magazine 2013 survey of banks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:53 pm 

Well if their customer service staff believe what they're parroting - I'd steer clear and find another bank....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:23 am 
Rock Star

shania wrote:
Cyprus is classed military wise as being in a confrontational war zone. Perhaps the head honcho in Santander bank is ex military and has the snout? :crylaughin

Cyprus is indeed in a dodgy area, and under threat from ISIS etc, just as my own Country is.
The British have been bombing ISIS in Syria and Iraq for months from their base in Cyprus.
Retaliation is to be expected most likely.
Amos.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:36 am 
Top of the pops

exodus wrote:
shania wrote:

Cyprus is indeed in a dodgy area, and under threat from ISIS etc, just as my own Country is.
The British have been bombing ISIS in Syria and Iraq for months from their base in Cyprus.
Amos.

Amos, look at the posting dates of the above comments .... You're nearly 4 years 'out of date' (and 'nothing much' has happened here since). ! :morning

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:11 pm 
Rock Star

SFD wrote:
exodus wrote:
shania wrote:

Amos.

Amos, look at the posting dates of the above comments .... You're nearly 4 years 'out of date' (and 'nothing much' has happened here since). ! :morning

Don't tempt providence!
Amos.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:11 pm 
Star

There was an item on here a while ago saying that Cyprus was the 5th safest holiday destination in the world and the safest island in the world with a population of under 5 million.
It didn't have many postings.Look at the postings on here now its bad news..19 so far.

How does the saying go......."bad news has flew round the world whilst the good news is still boarding the aircraft"

Cyprus unsafe? gimmi a break :roll:

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body