Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:27 pm 
Top of the pops

Two RAF jets were scrambled from their base in Cyprus to urgently investigate Syrian planes that had crossed into international airspace, it has emerged.

The Ministry of Defence confirmed that unidentified planes legally crossed into Cypriot skies from the east of the country last Monday.

But it is understood the behaviour of the aircraft raised suspicions at RAF Akrotiri, less than 200 miles from Syria, prompting the rapid response.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415394/British-jets-Cyprus-scrambled-chase-Syrian-planes-crossed-international-airspace.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:41 pm 

Wonder why they kept it quiet until last night?
A bit too close to the decision/voting day from USA perhaps, just to add a bit more fuel to the fire?
All we were told early in the week when it happened was the Turkish fighters were scrambled because the UK fighter jets were heading into their airspace and now we get told is was Syrian planes heading towards Cyprus!
All a bit fishy smelling to me.... but, we shall see.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:29 pm 
Top of the pops

Crossed into international airspace? The Syrians are entitled to be there as any other airforce, or commercial aircraft for that matter. That's what international airspace is. Only if they fly into another country's airspace without permission is it a transgression. For goodness sake, this is nothing more than a scare story to sell newspapers!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:24 am 

Not the daily mail Lloyd surely ;)
Thom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:30 am 
Junior

14 mile air zone reckon they were testing it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:40 am 
Top of the pops

What? The Americans don't own international air space? Clearly they have missed out on that one :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:46 am 
Master

That is a bit late, a bird watching friend heard them go last Monday. And it was in the Cyprus Mail last week.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:47 am 
Forum Admin

It seems the yanks are just itching for any excuse to attack them , they know fine well the syrians wont just take it , that will then give them
the chance to escelate things ..
Nice with us stuck in the middle .. :doh

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:53 am 
Star

Neil wrote:
It seems the yanks are just itching for any excuse to attack them , they know fine well the syrians wont just take it , that will then give them
the chance to escelate things ..
Nice with us stuck in the middle .. :doh

and Kerry is currently on a flying visit to some European countries in an effort to rally support for the raids that they are going carry out anyway. He is meeting William Hague this morning and anti war protesters are gathering outside as I type.

For sure our Government will be involved in some way .... even though the vote went against strikes.

Maggi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:59 am 
Forum Admin

Very nice of them to get on board with the war mongerers , when are sitting
within a stones throw of the fight ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:34 am 

I think my distance to throw the stone is somewhat shorter than yours, Neil ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:44 am 
Forum Admin

CypruswithBabies wrote:
I think my distance to throw the stone is somewhat shorter than yours, Neil ;)

Yes , and you have the air base plus Epi on your doorstep .. :shock:
looks like you will get it first ...
No , sorry , Ayios Nic is closer to them , so they will get it first :pow

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:30 pm 

Better get all those frozen chickens roasted up Neil, we wouldn`t like to go to the happy land on an empty stomach ;)
Thom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:17 pm 

Aki is the target as that's where our defences are apparently all place.... one assumes they will either attack the fighter jets or the runway. Planes can't generally get in or out without one :-(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:23 pm 
Rock Star

As Britain has decided against any military action against Syria I don't think Syria will attack British bases. This would only mean that Britain would decide to use military force against Syria,something I don't think Syria would want.It would also bring other Nato allies into the conflict and Obama is itching to attack so any attack on the sovereign bases would be self defeating.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:01 pm 
Major

Are they really bothered about been self defeating Zorba - I would suggest that the 'alleged' (unless you are American) use of chemical weapons was self defeating.
Is Assad really bothered anyway and just wants to start something and any reason will do!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:05 pm 

The fighter jets were brought in specifically as protection for the British base and have been leaving and returning from sorties every day almost since they arrived.

One might have thought if there was no threat to UK territory, they wouldn't have deployed them and that since the vote went against British intervention they maybe would have been removed by now...

This from when the fighters arrived in Cyprus the other week "This is purely a prudent and precautionary measure to ensure the protection of UK interests and the defence of our sovereign base areas at a time of heightened tension in the wider region.

“This is a movement of defensive assets operating in an air-to-air role only. They are not deploying to take part in any military action against Syria."

However, it appears that hasn't put Syria off sending their planes in our direction to test the waters, so to speak.

I think they're here for some duration and while they're here, Akrotiri is still high risk. Middle Eastern hot tempers don't always use reasoned thinking at times like this...

They're just 10km from my house by road - a lot less as the Typhoon flies!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:23 pm 
Major

That nice Mr Hague said today that the UK has provided the rebels with anti gas equipment in the last few days.
So whilst not appearing to want to attack we are involved anyway and I'm sure that the not so nice Mr Assad has noticed what we are doing and most likely in his view means we are fighting him and that makes the UK (and bases in Cyprus) open to be attacked.
I am also sure that he is not the slightest bit bothered that there are Russians living here, is Putin bothered if a few Russians get killed - no of course not, probably not his friends anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:33 pm 
Forum Admin

Putin has just said on RT
that Russia will help syria if the americans attack
http://rt.com/on-air/ :pow

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:47 pm 
Top of the pops

Gosh, sounds like some people are preparing to commit hara-kiri!

The six aircraft were sent here for all the right reasons. Had the government not done so they would have been criticised for that. At times of heightened tension, the RAF will make sure that the pilots are on-the-ball with regard to training, weapons familiarisation, getting to know the local area, be in a state of read of readiness...and so on. That explains the numerous sorties. That's what the RAF (and other air forces) do at a time like this.

I am old enough to remember we had exactly the same thing at the time of the war with Argentina and Iraq wars 1 and 2. At the time we lived near the USAF base at Alconbury and the aircraft were up in the air 24 hours a day. Round and round they went. Remember, the RAF of today can barely afford the Jet A1 to put into the aircraft fuel tanks, so the pilots are nowhere near as practiced as they were in the 60's/70's/80's. But even then, at times of heightened tension, fighters and other aircraft would fly round the local airport like bees around a honeypot. That's the way the military works. It does NOT mean we are going to war with Syria, nor should we expect bombs to come raining down on us. We (the UK) may have bases here, buy Cyprus is NOT the UK; it is a state in it's own right and (I think I'm correct in saying) has always enjoyed good relations with Syria.

At the moment, Cameron has said that the UK will not support the USA by attacking Syria, Obama can't (at the moment) drum up enough support in his own country for an engagememt, so I really can't see why you're getting yourself worked up into a lather over "what night be". It's pointless! Chill! :greetings

Last edited by Yakflyer on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:48 pm 
Top of the pops

Neil wrote:
Putin has just said on RT that Russia will help syria if the americans attack http://rt.com/on-air/ :pow

The good thing about that is that it might just make Obama think twice, yet again! No-one - least of all the Americans - wants all out war.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:51 pm 
Top of the pops

That is the nub of the issue.

Russia and the USA are further apart than they have been for a long time. Both have a need to be seen to be strong against the other. However, neither have the stomach (or is it guts?) to fight each other directly. Therefore what better than fighting each other by proxy? It is just unlucky for the Syrian people that they have chosen to use Syria for this purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:24 pm 

I just hope they haven't destroyed Cracs de Chevaliers fort - really liked it there but a hell of a long drive from Latakia port.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:11 pm 
Top of the pops

I have just watched an item on BBC news about UK doctors who are helping children in Vietnam who are still being born with facial defects due to the US having sprayed the jungle with Agent Orange in the Vietnam War . . . . . hmmmmm, and they have so much to say about Syria and want to strike against them. The words pot and kettle spring to mind . . . . .

Retirement - harder work than working - But much more fun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:13 pm 
Top of the pops

Correct Jean, I've thought that many a time, when American politicians pot on so righteously about the use of chemical weapons.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:24 pm 
Top of the pops

Here's the link to the article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23632245

Retirement - harder work than working - But much more fun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:00 pm 
Star

Neil wrote:

Just on Sky News ..... Russia says it will urge Syria to put chemical weapons under international control if that will avert military strikes...... wonder how the USA will react to that.

Maggi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:40 pm 
Forum Admin

Libra girl wrote:
Neil wrote:

Just on Sky News ..... Russia says it will urge Syria to put chemical weapons under international control if that will avert military strikes...... wonder how the USA will react to that.

Maggi

Kerry was on TV this afternoon , saying if they hand over there chemical wepons they will not strike ,, sounds like the Yanks are looking for a face saving way out ,, if it helps all , then alls well and good ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body