The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad Service
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:05 am 
Rock Star

In November 2012 my wife and I decided buy new settees for our house, after going to a number of shops we found what we though would be OK for us at a good price.

We paid for the furniture at the shop and it was delivered next day all well and good!

9 months later we noticed their where cracks showing on the arm and a solicitor we know contacted them to inform them of the failure of the material.

This was on the 13th of August; on the 22nd August we received an email from our solicitor to say he had a phone call from the owner to send someone around to see the problem.

It took until the 28th August for the owner of the company to come and see the problem, photos where taken by me and sent by email to the company.

He said he was going to contact the maker’s settee about the fault, and said it was an unusual FAULT!

We wait then we where told on the phone the makers had not accepted reasonability for the failure of the settee.

We spoke to the again and they said they where waiting for some covers to be made, and if you think we believed that then you are wrong.

By this time it is October, such was his messing about that I went to the store on the 25th October and confronted the owner about the situation, I asked him for the name of the makers and he never told me.

He asked me to measure the area of the settee and said “he would contact the makers to see if he could get the material to repair the settee” why the hell should I do that, which told me he was running us around in circles.

This changed my way of dealing with the situation with him so I went home and went on to his web site and found the makers of the settees, and checked the model number was the same on his site and the makers and our invoice.

I then email him the name and address of the makers and told him I would be contacting the directly, I waited 1 week for him to reply which he did not.

On the Monday the 4th of November I contacted the makers of the settees and told them of the situation we are in with the name of the company and the model of the settee, this was on the morning.

I looked at my emails on the afternoon around 4pm and their was a reply from the makers stating they new about our problem and the retailer had been in contact with them.

They had accepted the responsibility for the replacement, and asked us to contact the retailer immediately to do the arrangements.

We waited 3 day just in case the makers had contacted them about the situation, and heard nothing.

On Wednesday the 6th we went to the retailers to see the owner who was out very convenient, we spoke to a member of staff (member of his family) and showed a copy of the email from the makers.

We told her that we had been lied to by her farther and wanted this sorting out that day.

We where told we would get a phone call that day which never happened!

So at 8.45am on the 7th of November I called the makers in Malaysia and spoke to the marketing manager that had email me and told here the situation and what I believed the intentions of the retailer where and that I did not trust the retailer.

He response was alarm at the activity of the retailer and told me she would be in contact with them that day, she also confirmed that they had accepted reasonability to replace the settee.

On Thursday the 7th November we received the following email from the retailer:-
After a lot of pressure and communication with our supplier they confirmed to us that they accept to replace your 3+2 suite with a new 3+2 seater suite a picture of I have attached for you to see and it will be in the same Brown Colour Hi tech leather as the one you have.
The suite will be imported in our next purchase from the supplier which is calculated in about 5-6 months as we had just had a receiving from this supplier.

Question I they have just received a shipment do they had a replacement in that stock and why is ours not bee replaced and why do we have to wait 5-6 months for this to be done.

I will not publish the retailer on the web site but pm me if you wish to know the retailer.

Post subject: Re: Bad Service
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:12 pm 
Top of the pops

I don't want to get involved with the rights and wrongs of this case and I have no wish to know the retailer. But as one who imports some items from the Far East I can understand what the manufacturer is saying. To ship two items of furniture on their own would have enormous logistical and cost implications. Items like this would normally come over to the retailer or wholesaler in a full container. To ship a couple of items of furniture on their own would carry a huge risk of the furniture getting damaged in transit. Shipping the goods as they are might cost the manufacturer €500-€1,000. If they are required to be crated, even more. Added to this the Customs and Import documentation might cost €100-€200 to process. Delivering from Limassol docks to Paphos would be another €100-€150. To expect anyone (manufacturer or retailer) to do this is both unrealistic and unreasonable.

If the furniture was sent over in the next container to the retailer, any additional costs would be virtually zero and your furniture will likely arrive undamaged. The bonus is that you get brand new furniture in 6 months time instead of now. So, more life ahead of it.

I'm not sure (in fact I know) that I would not have gone about a complaint of this nature with all guns blazing, and employing a solicitor. Anyway, with the offer that has been made I would thank the manufacturer profusely for his generosity in assuming responsibility for the problem and agreeing to replace the items of furniture with the next shipment. I would cc the retailer in on the e-mail. After that I would monitor the situation from time to time to ensure that neither party overlooks what has been agreed. Then I would sit back and chill out, knowing that I've enjoyed a good result. Life's too short to get worked up - and risk a heart attack - over relatively unimportant things like this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:34 pm 
Top of the pops

Glad to see that this is being sorted, but I can't help but wonder why you started with a solicitor rather than going to talk to the shop you bought it from. That is never going to get the result that you want here!

We had a similar problem a few years back with seams that gave way after less than 3 months. We went back to the shop who tried to blame us and offered us a discount on some throws to cover up the damage.

After it became clear that they didn't want to do anything about it we went to the Cyprus Consumers Association who spoke to the shop and also the Ministry of Trade who called the shop directly and told them to sort it. They then contacted us and offered a full cash refund or an alternative of our choice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:31 pm 
Top of the pops

Yakflyer wrote:
I don't want to get involved with the rights and wrongs of this case and I have no wish to know the retailer. But as one who imports some items from the Far East I can understand what the manufacturer is saying. To ship two items of furniture on their own would have enormous logistical and cost implications. Items like this would normally come over to the retailer or wholesaler in a full container. To ship a couple of items of furniture on their own would carry a huge risk of the furniture getting damaged in transit. Shipping the goods as they are might cost the manufacturer €500-€1,000. If they are required to be crated, even more. Added to this the Customs and Import documentation might cost €100-€200 to process. Delivering from Limassol docks to Paphos would be another €100-€150. To expect anyone (manufacturer or retailer) to do this is both unrealistic and unreasonable.

If the furniture was sent over in the next container to the retailer, any additional costs would be virtually zero and your furniture will likely arrive undamaged. The bonus is that you get brand new furniture in 6 months time instead of now. So, more life ahead of it.

I'm not sure (in fact I know) that I would not have gone about a complaint of this nature with all guns blazing, and employing a solicitor. Anyway, with the offer that has been made I would thank the manufacturer profusely for his generosity in assuming responsibility for the problem and agreeing to replace the items of furniture with the next shipment. I would cc the retailer in on the e-mail. After that I would monitor the situation from time to time to ensure that neither party overlooks what has been agreed. Then I would sit back and chill out, knowing that I've enjoyed a good result. Life's too short to get worked up - and risk a heart attack - over relatively unimportant things like this.

Sorry to disagree with part of your statement above.

Any item can be shipped as a part load. Be it in a container or boxed. I used to ship stuff all over the middle east from Uk and the cost is fractional. :grin:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:17 am 
Top of the pops

Of course it can. We've just done it ourselves a month back. But the safest and least expensive way to ship goods which are easily damaged is within a container travelling unopened from one supplier to one customer.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body