Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: STORAGE HEATERS
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:45 pm 

Can anyone tell us what sort of price it would cost roughly to heat a 3 bed villa usin storage heaters with the back up of an open fire. Thank you

Post subject: Re: STORAGE HEATERS
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:33 pm 
Forum Admin

Thats a hard one .. !
I only use gas heaters in the winter ...

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:37 pm 
Top of the pops

In short,A Lot of money. Electricity is roughly.30cents a unit taken over 2 months (they bill 2 monthly here) and an open fire burning logs at 80 euros a small pick up truck load lasts about 3 to 4 weeks. Storage heaters don't do the job unless you are lucky enough to find an insulated house (rare as hens teeth).We use the A/Conditioning on heat frugally in the bedrooms for an hour before bed and a gas super ser in the lounge.
Be prepared over here for spending more than you would in the UK for heating during the winter and it alters little during the summer as you need to keep cool.
I know of a lovely villa if you are interested. A/C for cooling and heating and an open fire (wood burning) it is quiet,has a pool and views to die for but the landlord will only let to older quiet considerate clean and sociable people.It is 550 a month but worth every penny.
beverley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:54 pm 
Major

Last winter I bought a kerosene heater to heat the living area.I have a gas fire but found it expensive to run.Kerosene heaters are very economical to run and throw out a lot of heat ok it's a bit like going back to the sixties/seventies and they do smell a little but would recommend one.In the bedroom I have a Eco electric heater(fagor) has a thermostat and keeps the room nice and warm.I keep it on all night in winter,can't remember what my electric bills where exactly but nothing to horrendous or I would have remembered ! So all in all living area and bedroom nice and warm rest of house Freezing .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:20 pm 
Top of the pops

we bought an expensive calor gas heater last year......and found that even with the windows left open for air...everything great at first.....then after a few weeks the condensation definitely built up

and we ended up having to put dehumidifier boxes and sachets everywhere........we went through a lot......all where full to the brim with water quickly......at the end of the winter..we found lots of things had gone mouldy and where full of mildew

this year we elected and insisted that we have a log burner fitted...so that we can benefit from a dry heat...

yes there is an expense involved....but we want to be warm and well this winter and not shivering in a damp, mouldy, house

we know that last winter was an unusually wet and cold winter...but we would never want to go through what we went through last winter ever again

also our neighbour used their aircon for heating and their electricity bills where huge.........at over 700 euro's per 2 month bill

so beware and look around for the best heating that you can get for your new home

it will be worth it

maggie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:46 pm 
Major

Did not have any condensation problems with the kerosene heater,then again I have a open plan house.I had a log burner in my previous house and although they keep the room warm and are loverly to sit by ( much better than looking at a kerosene heater) I found that the logs are expensive.The other drawback is you have to have somewhere to store the logs and if the house has lots of steps you have to carry them from a to b. That said if I had a big pot of money I would have one again,or better still spend winter in the Caribbean.Cyprus-winter yuk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:38 am 
Top of the pops

As everyone says a lot of money, but I don't think anyone could give you even an approximate cost as one three bedroom villa will be different in size to another.

I have a built in gas fire in the living room and a log burner in the kitchen (which so far we have been lucky enough not to have to buy any logs for :grin: ) and found with both of them it was sufficient to heat the house and we have a 3 bedroomed villa. I have oil burners which we used when we had to the winter before, but that was literally for us to huddle round for extra heat which we did not need this winter at all, I am pleased to say since it was our worst winter yet.

At the moment dreading my summer electric bill as permanently have a fan on and have used the a/c for a few weeks which up until now we have not used.

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:52 am 
Top of the pops

Wouldn't dream of using storage heaters with the price of electricity here - we are lucky and do have an insulated house, and on average a truck load of wood for the wood burner lasts 2 winters - for those occasions when instant heat is vital we use the purpose built centralised heating system which is also the A/C system - only needs about 20 mins to warm the place up.

chris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:30 am 
Top of the pops

How much is a truckload of wood please? Everybody I know pays about 80 euros for half a pick up full and it doesn't last very long at all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:32 pm 
Top of the pops

beverley wrote:
How much is a truckload of wood please? Everybody I know pays about 80 euros for half a pick up full and it doesn't last very long at all.

was told that Hardwood which burns hotter and slower costs about 135 euro's for a truck load

this is the wood that we will be buying for our wood burner

also we will be buying a storage container to keep the wood in to stop vermin and snakes from nesting in there

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body