It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:49 am 

Hello, whats your thoughts on purchasing a kerosene heater.

Cost to buy & cost to run, purchase from where?

thanks
mgt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:26 am 
Top of the pops

They do throw off a good heat, but not good for someone like me who has problems with any smells unless they are highly pleasant. They do pong a bit and if you really want one when OH gets his act together we have one in the shed which was used for one winter only as I have breathing problems and this aggravated it. It did keep the house warm though. :D

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:46 am 
Top of the pops

we have bought a new calor gas heater...cheap to run at @ 13 .50 euro's per month...does not smell......and the bungalow is now snug as a bug

must say tho

that if we owned our bungalow.....we would have a log burner fitted instead of the calor gas heater..
maggie :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 pm 
Top of the pops

Maggie, got to agree with you regarding log burner, we have just started using ours that we had fitted during the summer and they are great, last night for the first time in 7 years in the winter, got out the shower and wasn't in the least bit cold - lovely.

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:48 pm 
Major

Hi MGT
Don't :D they chuck out gallons of water your walls will turn green with condensation!!! :( :(
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:18 pm 

You can buy them in several places eg Paps or Poplife get the dearer ones tho they do not make condensation that's the gas heaters and depends how much you use it, usually about a euros a day cost wise, kerosine is about a Euro a litre from petrol station as said keeps the place lovely and warm should be lit and turned off outside to avoid the ignition fumes that's all

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:54 pm 
Top of the pops

we haven't had any condensation on the walls at all
and in fact the house feels drier as well as warmer
mind you I do like to have windows open during the day...and I have put condensation catchers out...... so maybe that's why we feel ok.....will tho keep an eye on things... :shock: :D

how do folks with wall mounted gas fires get on then??????? as it is the same gas?????? are their house walls running with water?

or those who cook with gas??are their kitchens and house walls running with water????

best of a bad job tho any heaters, electric, calor or kerosene
as underfloor heating, proper central heating......or log burner would be much better

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:22 pm 
Top of the pops

sunsetpenny wrote:
You can buy them in several places eg Paps or Poplife get the dearer ones tho they do not make condensation

Sorry to be confrontational :D But the water is in the gas and kerosene and the process of combustion releases it, if you have an outside flue it goes out- if you don't it goes inside. Expensive or cheap you can't magic the water away, it goes somewhere. :D ( I guess not too popular an answer 8-) )

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:35 pm 
Master

I`m with migmogs , we have a mobile gas heater and have no problems with condensation , this is our second season of using it .

I do know that burning these fuels produce water , I dont know where it goes in our house. :shock:

A word of warning to people who do use gas or kerosene make sure you fit a carbon monoxide alarm , it could save your life if any thing goes wrong with the heater.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:38 pm 
Top of the pops

our Kerosene heater is now 10 years old. It cost around 200 old cyp pounds. It has heated 4 properties we have lived in and it has warmed every single one of them with no problem.
we absolutely love it. It is cost effective, doesn't smell and although now looks an antique, i am so reluctant to throw it out.

I use mini humidifiers which i put in the bedrooms and one downstairs. Change these every month.

I would not swap my heater for the world.

Tiggy

Helen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:40 pm 
Forum Admin

I remember seeing one at Darrels house , he had one that had a blower on it ..
it was really smart ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:51 pm 
Top of the pops

:greetings
must be honest
it's the cooking and showering that can cause condensation in our house....all those pans boiling away and steaming hot water from the shower :shock:
so always now have windows open when cooking/showering.....as these exctractor fans don't work in this bungalow....
I ALLWAYS put damp towels and T towels straight putside onto the airer.....even if they are waiting to be washed as all that damp.....can cause massive condensation probs..
also our windows in the uk had ventilation flaps at the top to let the air in.....these don't....so we leave the windows in the bedroom open slightly at night times...to let the air circulate..as breathing in a closed room....can cause condensation on windows
so we have NO condensation probs here :D YET :roll: :D
but we DO have ventilation :D :celebrate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:13 pm 
Top of the pops

I use kerosene heaters, brilliant things. Never had trouble with damp etc, and they really throw out some heat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:40 am 
Top of the pops

migmogs wrote:
:greetings
must be honest
it's the cooking and showering that can cause condensation in our house....all those pans boiling away and steaming hot water from the shower :shock:
so always now have windows open when cooking/showering.....as these exctractor fans don't work in this bungalow....
I ALLWAYS put damp towels and T towels straight putside onto the airer.....even if they are waiting to be washed as all that damp.....can cause massive condensation probs..
also our windows in the uk had ventilation flaps at the top to let the air in.....these don't....so we leave the windows in the bedroom open slightly at night times...to let the air circulate..as breathing in a closed room....can cause condensation on windows
so we have NO condensation probs here :D YET :roll: :D
but we DO have ventilation :D :celebrate

Totally agree :D Just knocked a hole for the kitchen extractor in our cottage, its on an outside wall but for some strange reason the previous owners preferred to use carbon filters rather than extract to the outside. This is very Cypriot also the standard bathroom extract fans are far to small - we brought commercial ones over from UK in our suitcases.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:59 am 
Master

Extractor fans in your suitcase ? ....have you been transporting smelly socks ? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:51 pm 
Graduate

We have been using Kerosene Heaters for a few years now, and for us it is what has worked the best. We bought the more expensive ones years ago as that was recommended. The only smell we get is when we switch it off and that only lasts a few minutes. We tried the calor gas but they gave me bad headaches every day.

Janette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:07 am 
Junior

Neil wrote:
I remember seeing one at Darrels house , he had one that had a blower on it ..
it was really smart ..

Yes Neil we bought one from Paps, something fell off it within a week, and bits of black soot went everywhere in the house. debs not amused.She then lobbed it out of the door.I took it back to Paps all bent and buckled, rottweiler in tow (sorry Deb) and they gave me my money back :shock:
Searched internet and bought a portable kerosene inverter 3200W like a mini central heating boiler fully automatic all safety features, set the temperature and off you go.Fantastic!
About €300 delivered I seem to recall

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:21 pm 

We love our kerosine heaters and they are our primary source of heating during the colder Cyprus months. Hope the following info helps you make a good decision! The main problems are, smell and soot, but they can be avoided if the devices are used safely and intelligently.

Kerosine heater tips learned the hard way!

The solution with our radiant heater, (the round type) is to fill and light it up outside, wick fully extended and let it burn like that for a full five minutes. Then turn It down to the desired amount and then take it back into the house. A full tank will I burn for approx 14 hours and cost 4 or 5 Euro so it's the most economical way to go. With our Alpaca heater, (Korean make) after the outdoor five minute burn, adjust the flame so the blue flame disappears into the red hot catalytic perforated cylinder (at the top!) Don't turn it down too much or it will smell. With these types of heater there is really only one setting, full on! So buy the correct size of heater for the room. Most importantly leave a window slightly open because the heater must have ventilation. Not doing so is REALLY dangerous! (A smoke and Co2 alarm detector is also an excellent idea!)
When we’re warm enough, we slowly turn the wick dial down to zero and there is usually no smell. We don’t leave ours on at night since we like a cold bedroom.

If you can cope with these simple and sensible requirements then you will gain an incredibly efficient and economical way to heat your house at minimal cost to yourself! We also have gas heaters and the combination of these and the kerosine/paraffin heaters fulfils all our winter heating needs. Hope this helps! Bear.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:56 pm 
Rock Star

I had a "white heat" this burnt with a very hot flame and heated well , my wife hated the smell of paraffin and the heater did stink when warming up and cooling down, fumes i found to be surprising ly low

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:26 pm 
Rock Star

migmogs

Keep an eye on your indoor plants, they don't like gas heaters.

Alan

:cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:22 pm 
We only had a problem with our Kerosene heater if we had the flame too high.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body