Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help needed!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:45 pm 
Junior

I was surfing the net yesterday & all of a sudden, I got an Error box appeared asking to debug or cancel, so I pressed cancel & then all my internet pages shut down :?

Why would this happen :?:

Pete 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:01 am 
Web-Site Admin

This can sometimes happen when your internet browser encounters something on a web page that it doesn't much like the look of, possibly a plug-in of some kind - you haven't been browsing them mucky sites again have you Pete??

:D Seriously though, as long as it doesn't keep happening there's nothing to worry about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:52 am 

Cyprus-Toon - I agree with the previous answer.

But just to clarify:
The problem was going to cause your browser to crash; the dialog popped up just as a courtesy to give you a chance to investigate while some of the evidence that might explain it still existed.
You did a perfectly reasonable thing in clicking 'Cancel', since only rare mortals can make any sense of the debug info!

You can enable/disable some of the debugging behaviour in Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced (for Internet Explorer).

If this sort of problem recurs for you, it may be due to:
- poor coding on particular pages you are visiting (don't visit them),
- misbehaviour of browser helper objects or other add-ons (consider if you have installed any such stuff recently, check in Tools -> Manage Add-ons...) ,
- or corrupted files in cache (Tools -> Internet Options -> general -> Delete Files (for instance, in Internet Explorer v.6)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:40 pm 
Mike,

You sound very knowledgable in these matter, are you a computer engineer or something :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:59 pm 

Pete,

I've been in computers for over twenty years. I was geological database administrator for BP in the Netherlands (DEC VAX, MsDOS PCs), database consultant for Ingres (thence ASK, thence Computer Associates) in London (Unix, VAX), data management consultant for Schlumberger here and there, and freelance for a number of years. But I have used PCs and Macs for years as well (OK, BBC Micro, too!); for the usual stuff, plus photography and writing. And I need to be a computer engineer to keep my stock market trading systems running well (and develop are few utilities). I also dabble with web sites, as you'll have seen from my entry on the Intro thread - the Javascript in my http://www.panthea.info site is all my own work :)

It's nice to be able to help folks.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body