Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:14 pm 
Top of the pops

Just taken hold of one of the following for testing whilst i consider the mobile email options for my UK company ..... quite a feature set !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_TyTN_II

Just need to figure out what does and doesn't work here in Paphos !

Post subject: !
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:00 pm 
Top of the pops

quick update for anyone interested ! This 'phone has a GPS receiver built in and whilst there are no maps for Cyprus (that i know of ??) its no good as a navigation aid but it is useful for mapping stuff.

With some free software, the unit can record a track of your movements including altitude, speed, distance, times etc and graphically represent this on screen (but no map remember) you can then export the lot as a Google Earth file and load it up.

Can also set waypoints so you can head towards points if you need to pre-plan. So if you are out hiking, biking, in a boat or travelling you can use it to assist or to record where you went.

Combine that with sync of outlook contacts/calender and documents, then the built in WiFi with full web browser - its a damn fine gadget !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:29 pm 

Hi Big Dutch

At my last reckoning there was 1 company that had mapped Cyprus. However, they were supplying the maps ONLY with a PDA. I can't remember which model, but it certainly wasn't as up to date as my Ipaq. They were also trying to retail it at £499 cyp, which is scandalous by any reckoning. They were not prepared to supply the software or map separately

I was shopping in the new Public shop (Media retailer) in the Mall in Nicosia last Saturday and they had a range of GPS enabled PDAs, and Sat Nav units with maps. Now I don't know whether or not they were Cyprus maps or Greece maps as Public are a Greece based company. May be worth reinvestigating

All the best

Lee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:49 pm 

Hi all...

The HTC TyTN II is a very good phone.

However, there is a serious, serious limitation with the majority of touch screen phones.

With touch screen phones, if you are in a hot climate, such as Cyprus, the screen - which relies on the electrostatic discharge from your fingers (which is why it doesn't work with gloves on) - starts to 'play up'.

This is because the heating of the material increases the resistance of the material that forms part of the touch screen thus the electrostatic charge produced by your fingers is not sufficient to trigger the sensors.

The effect is that the alignment of the screen is moved over about 5mm. The image on the screen remains in the same place, but the sensors pick up your 'touch' as being 5mm away.

This doesn't apply in Air Conditioned climates obviously, so if you are buying this phone to use in an a/c office, this shouldn't matter. But if you intend being out in the 12 - 3pm sun, this isn't the phone for you.

I hope this is helpful, and not too late :wink:

Rob

"Through Adversity to the Stars"

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body