Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Computer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:44 am 
Top of the pops

I'm sure I need a new computer, cos mine is just getting so slow...... :roll:

Any recommendations please, on spec etc and where to buy one.

Treat others as you want to be treated

Post subject: Re: New Computer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:06 pm 
Master

Hi Molly,

Before you buy new, have you cleaned up all the temporary files, defragged, removed any applications you don't need, don't use.

If you have and you do need a new machine, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how the price has come down.

Maybe if you can post the kind of things you need in a new machine, what you use it for etc., we can help a little.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:50 pm 
Top of the pops

Morning AF

Yep, I always do my housekeeping - but its still slow and keeps getting stuck, so I have to keep switching it off and then on again.

I want it fast and big to hold a lot :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:05 pm 
Top of the pops

My computer at the moment is an Advent 3000 series Intel(R), Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.90GHz - 1.89 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

I use Microsoft Windows XP and Internet Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:49 pm 
Top of the pops

You could also increase ram from 512mb to 1 gb which is cheap and if this does not help maybe invest in a new computer.As axel stated they have come down in price and good deals to be had.Not sure how they compare in cyprus so would be interested to know also.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:26 pm 
I just brought a new one Paphos Computers, its a Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor 1.8GHz, 1gb Ram, 160gb HDD for €425 with XP & other various software installed on it :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:05 pm 
Master

Hi Molly,

Well, if you are going for new, you will more than likely have to go with the new Vista operating system, I am running PC's with both XP and Vista and I think it can be said that Vista is not probably, as bad as you hear. However, look at the Home Premium edition as a minimum, don't go with the "Basic" edition.
If you do go with Vista, you will need a minimum of 2 GB of RAM, better even with 3 or 4 if you can get it.
I would also look at computers with a minimum hard drive of 200 GB, the vista operating system is huge and uses a lot of hard drive space.

Not sure whether you are looking at a desktop or a laptop,the new core 2 duo processors are good and allow you to run different applications at the same speed, not really that important though depending on how you use your PC.
Over here on this side of the island, the East, Cartridge World are very cheap for PC's, laptopwise, Carrefour and Orphanides are quite cheap too, I would however, try and source a local shop where you can go back should you have a problem. Spyros, on the CL Forum has a shop and I have found him to be very knowledgeable and helpful, you can contact him here.

http://www.pcrepairs.com.cy/

Hope you found this helpful, by the way, I'd ditch Internet Explorer and use Mozzilla Firefox, much better and safer. You can run both together on your computer, if you install Firefox, you can import all your contacts from IE, remember also to back up your address book in the CSV format, (Comma Separated Values ), save you writing them all out again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:16 pm 
Top of the pops

Thanks for info - I am looking for desktop not laptop. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:27 pm 
Master

Hi Molly,

No problem, but, with laptop, you can do all the stuff you need.............................with little space, if you require any further info..............................have your people, call my people..................

:D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:54 pm 
Top of the pops

Molly
As you are over for xmas why not check out sales and bring it back as excess as i am sure there will be sales after xmas at PC World.I bet you can sniff out a bargain.

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:11 am 
Top of the pops

The core hardware in a PC does not slow down as it gets older, the operating system software tends to "bloat" over the year(s) so if your current machine was sufficient in speed when you had it as brand new then you could ask/pay someone to backup your personal documents and settings, format the hard-disc and then merely reinstall the same operating system and applications. Whenver i do this at home i get a give a noticable increase in "nippyness". Increasing the RAM may help with the "nippyness" as well allowing more documents/applications to be running at the same time. This should be considerably cheaper than buying new

If money is not a concern then of course buying new, even a low budget model, will give higher specification than a top-spec machine of a few years ago, as Axel says the Vista operating system needs more specification to run anyway so the higher specification may well not be as big as expected.

There are 3 links on a thread further down (browser wars) to the latest of the popular internet browsers. I have all three open right now as a test and memory footprint of IE8 is 145Mb, Mozilla Firefox 126Mb and Google Chrome 97Mb, ditching Microsoft Internet Explorer may also increase the "speed" of your experience.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:12 am 
Top of the pops

All info appreciated - thanks very much all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:21 am 
Top of the pops

My main problem is it keeps gets stuck and also sometimes when in IE it keeps opening up lots of blank tabs and the only way to get rid of them is to switch off machine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:12 am 
Rock Star

Molly wrote:
My main problem is it keeps gets stuck and also sometimes when in IE it keeps opening up lots of blank tabs and the only way to get rid of them is to switch off machine.

Then, as Dutch says - ditch IE :lol:

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body