Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 'Blue Screen'!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:08 am 
I brought a new pc a couple of weeks ago after my old one decided to give up the ghost & die on me but every now & then, when I close down a internet page, I sometimes get a 'blue screen' for a split second or 2, what does this mean :? :?

I've often heard people say they get a blue screen when there's something wrond with the PC, is this true or is it a internet glitch :? :?

Post subject: Re: 'Blue Screen'!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:23 pm 
Rock Star

Pete

When I installed a certain program on my PC, after that I got a blue screen, which then re-booted the PC.

Does this happen with you or does it just 'carry on regardless' afterwards.

Presume you have the dreaded Windoze Visitor ;-) :?: are you using Internet Explorer?

With mine, I uninstalled the program, but the problem is still there (occasionally).
I've been sent a 'registry fix' program, but I'm reluctant to use it in case it b's something else.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:40 pm 
Hi JB,

As I said, it only shows now & then & only when I minimize a internet window, I just catch a glimspe of it before my back groud pix appears, nano seconds :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:25 pm 
Top of the pops

i've not encountered this, but from what you say isn't a problem anyway ? At work where they run Windows XP & IE7 we had problems with Active Desktop crashing and causing display glitches, but not actually causing problems, a hotfix was grabbed from MS which sorted it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:54 pm 
Thats ok then, as long as this doesn't crash my pc, not that I'm worried too much having a 3 years hardware warrenty with it :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:59 pm 

The 'blue screen of death' occurs when you have a terminal error on your machine, your PC will normally lock up or freeze with the 'blue screen of death' and you will have to either power off or press the reset button to restart you PC.
Blue screens are generally caused by program errors but can be caused by hardware issues, often memory or system board problems. The information (system dump) on the blue screen can be used to potentially identify what caused the problem but you will need to be a Microsoft guru and have a set of Microsoft reference books to match the Encyclapedia Britanica to interpret the error.
Experiance says that if it aint broke dont fix it, if your PC is working OK looks lke the message is not critical.
If you PC starts doing funnies after any changes such as installing a new program, you could try a System Restore (restore your computer to an earlier state prior to instaling software) if the problem goes away after a restore its the new changes that are giving the problem.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:51 am 
Top of the pops

from what pete has described this isn't a BSOD but certainly BSOD's are worth looking out for.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:38 pm 
I think it something to do with my desktop pix as its only a split second & gone & not all the time, defo not a BSOD as its a brand new pc, well I hope its not & its not happened for a while, maybe just a slight software conflict :roll:

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body