Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skype
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:39 pm 
Major

Hi there

Has anyone any experience of Skype? I downlaoded it and got a headset and cannot get my microphone unmuted. I can hear the caller as clear as a bell, it really is fantastic, but they can't hear me. ihave spent over 2 hours with the PC helpdesk and have printed off all the bumph from Skype and checked all i can but still no joy. The last advice they gave me was something was corrupting the programme and i may need to do a recovery and reload everything which seems a last resort. Any thoughts you technical folks?

Thanks Ros

Post subject: Re: Skype
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:45 pm 
Hi Pip,

I don't use Skype but if you've tried everything, can I ask if the microphone is working ok :?

Have you tried it out on something else :?

I'm not trying to teach you to suck egg or anything but are the plugs in the correct socks on your PC/keyboard :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:04 pm 
Major

Pete, dont worry i won't take offence at any suggestions. I'm a female, we are used to the first question being asked if we break down being ' is there juice in her'? Yes as far as i know according to the help desk i,m plugged in right and the mike was definitely working yesterday tho it doesn't seem to be today! Sounds Irish i know! Mind when i printed off the Skype stuff it contradicted some of the help desk advice so i've been plugging and unplugging and hate to be beaten!

Ros

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:17 pm 
I thought you might get a better response here in the Gadget forum, as our techies type are pretty good at sorting out these problems :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:48 pm 

I use Skype all the time. I've never personally had a problem with it.

What is the make/type of microphone etc that you are using?

It's probably worth googling to see if people have had problems with it on Skype etc.

Does it work on anything else? If not it may be just a duff microphone or a lose wire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:26 pm 
Rock Star

When I open up Skype, there's an option "Skype test call - call me to test your sound"

Have you tried this?

I had to turn up my mic volume beyond the recommended level to 'be heard' properly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:35 am 
Top of the pops

first if the microphone has a small 2.56mm jack then make sure it is plugged into the correct socket of the sound card. If its a USB microphone, id unplug it, reboot the machine, wait until all programs are loaded and disc activity has stopped, turn speakers on then plug the USB device in, you should hear a couple of beeps/tones to denote the successfull installation. Now, presuming you are running Windows operating system then click start, settings, control panel, sound and devices, then hardware tab and "test hardware" following this wizard should highlight whether Windows is detecting the microphone. If windows can use the microphone then run the test call in Skype which, as has been suggested, may need the level to be put very high to work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:15 am 
Major

Hi folks, thanks for the replies. Yes the microphone is working, its a Logitec which i got in PC World and i've made so many test calls i've lost count. When i have a bit of time at the weekend, unless we have the continuing sunny weather, i'll have another try with the suggestions, many thanks again.

Ros

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body