Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:41 am 
Rock Star

Our LG TV has a the above output socket.
I want to get the TV sound onto my own external speakers.
I have googled this but I am still a bit confused on what is needed.
A "soundbar" perhaps? But they seem expensive.
Is there a CHEAP way of doing this? I do have an audio amplifier available that could drive the speakers, but how can I connect the TV's Optical Digital Audio Output to this (conventional) amp?
Any advice will be gratefully received.
Amos.
P.S. there is only the one optical audio output socket on the TV, is this stereo?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:25 pm 
Rock Star

Does this help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs7wyb5pFoo

Or perhaps something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-Audio-Extractor-Splitter-to-SPDIF-Optical-RCA-Stereo-L-R-Analog-Converter/361891163962?hash=item544264ef3a:g:lnsAAOSwjL5ZLryM

Last edited by Effsie on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:25 pm 
Graduate

I plug my sound system (Harman Kardon sound sticks and sub-woofer) directly into the headphones socket on my Samsung tv, and it works brilliantly. The set-up was designed to output sound from my wife's iPod about thirteen years ago, and still works as new. I'd love a soundbar but Santa won't let me have one this year.

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you. (Ovid)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:34 pm 
Rock Star

As an aside, on our last visit to the UK we bought a Bose Solo 15 unit. It's kind of a sound bar, but it deeper and the tv sits on top of it. The sound separation and base on it are amazing.

It was £300 in Costco and worth every penny.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bose-Solo-15-Series-II-TV-Sound-System-Bluetooth-Wireless-Remote/112660035938?epid=10010968905&hash=item1a3b0fb962:g:sRQAAOSwxixaHFFj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:44 pm 
Top of the pops

exodus wrote:
I want to get the TV sound onto my own external speakers.
I have googled this but I am still a bit confused on what is needed.
A "soundbar" perhaps? But they seem expensive.
Is there a CHEAP way of doing this? I do have an audio amplifier available that could drive the speakers, but how can I connect the TV's Optical Digital Audio Output to this (conventional) amp?
Any advice will be gratefully received.
Amos.
P.S. there is only the one optical audio output socket on the TV, is this stereo?

we could start digging into if you'll post your TV model number (from a label on a back) and photos of all outputs the TV set.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:56 pm 
Rock Star

exodus wrote:

Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:12 pm 
Top of the pops

exodus wrote:
.... there is only the one optical audio output socket on the TV, is this stereo?

usually it's more then that as it's digital output - depend of original sound, basically it's PCM eg digital, it could carry mono, stereo, DD, etc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:12 pm 
Rock Star

Thanks for all the replies.
For Sergio it is an LG 32LD490 TV
Tried to upload a pic but didn't work.
Anyway on the back there are x2 HDMI sockets
LAN socket
RGB IN (PC) socket
RS232 IN (control & service) socket
Optical Digital/Audio out socket (handbook says is PCM)
Audio IN (RGB/DVI) socket
AVI/RGB socket (SCART)

Also a 3rd HDMI socket on the side of the TV, along with a Headphone (H/P) socket.
Not sure what size plug the H/P jack socket accepts, 3 mm I think. I assume will be a stereo one.

The Optical Digital socket is a fibre/laser type - has a red laser on (lit up) when TV is switched on.

Thanks,
Amos.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:11 pm 
Top of the pops

If you are not using it for anything else, the TV SCART socket is the best bet. This has constant audio out on the following pins

Pin Name Description
1 AOR Audio Out Right
3 AOL Audio Out Left
4 AGND Audio Ground

If you haven't got a soldering iron any electronics shop should be able to make you a connecting lead to a pair of RCA phono plugs for a few Euros, which you can connect to your audio amplifier.

If you are using it for some other purpose you will need a special lead that combines the conventional SCART functions to the other device, plus the audio connection as described above.

Your amplifier will be unlikely to have a optical PCM digital connector.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:38 pm 
Top of the pops

We slowly approaching the target ...

Quote:
I do have an audio amplifier available that could drive the speakers, but how can I connect the TV's Optical Digital Audio Output to this (conventional) amp?

what would be the amplifier model ? what kind of inputs it have ? usually amps in 2000s have TOS input(s)
if there no TOS (optical) input, then you best chice would be get small SCART box with three RCA sockets and connect it to TV by two RCA jacks (red/white) and the amp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:33 pm 
Rock Star

Sergio wrote:
We slowly approaching the target ...

Quote:
I do have an audio amplifier available that could drive the speakers, but how can I connect the TV's Optical Digital Audio Output to this (conventional) amp?

what would be the amplifier model ? what kind of inputs it have ? usually amps in 2000s have TOS input(s)
if there no TOS (optical) input, then you best chice would be get small SCART box with three RCA sockets and connect it to TV by two RCA jacks (red/white) and the amp

Thanks, thanks also to KG.
The Amplifier is a Cambridge Series 'A' Model A1 V.2.0
It has numerous sets of RCA sockets for all audio inputs; there are no other types of input sockets.
So this Scart box I need. Will this have a Scart input (from the TV) and RCA outputs (to go to the Amp)?
Amos.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:53 pm 
Top of the pops

This is the type of SCART box in question - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCART-Adaptor-AV-Block-To-3-RCA-Phono-Composite-S-Video-With-In-Out-Switch-GOLD/351024723130?epid=1871375945&hash=item51bab434ba:g:h7QAAOSwR6RaAFuX for which you'll also need a pair of RCA phono plugged leads to connect to the amplifier.

This is the sort of thing I was suggesting I was suggesting https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scart-to-3-x-Phono-RCA-AV-Cable-Lead-IN-OUT-Switchable-Switch-RED-WHITE-YELLOW/401066114053?hash=item5d61673c05:m:mUtffZWhltSk5sExB9V2pag

Both these items are switchable, but you can get simple OUT only versions. I suspect Nicolau Electronics in Paphos will have both types, or can make up the lead for you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:43 pm 
Rock Star

KG wrote:

This is the type of SCART box in question - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCART-Adaptor-AV-Block-To-3-RCA-Phono-Composite-S-Video-With-In-Out-Switch-GOLD/351024723130?epid=1871375945&hash=item51bab434ba:g:h7QAAOSwR6RaAFuX for which you'll also need a pair of RCA phono plugged leads to connect to the amplifier.

This is the sort of thing I was suggesting I was suggesting https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scart-to-3-x-Phono-RCA-AV-Cable-Lead-IN-OUT-Switchable-Switch-RED-WHITE-YELLOW/401066114053?hash=item5d61673c05:m:mUtffZWhltSk5sExB9V2pag

Both these items are switchable, but you can get simple OUT only versions. I suspect Nicolau Electronics in Paphos will have both types, or can make up the lead for you.

Brill! Many thanks. I will contact them.
Amos.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:53 pm 
Rock Star

You have a number of ways to do this. I suggested the HDMI to RCA as it is a higher quality signal than SCART.

Personally I also avoid converters with physical switches on, as it is just something else to fail. Just my personal choice though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:43 am 
Top of the pops

HDMI audio outputs a digital signal which needs external conversion from digital to analogue to work with an analogue amplifier and that is where it falls down for this particular application. SCART produces a stereo analogue signal which requires no conversion - merely a suitable connecting cable. However both methods work. The switches - particularly on the cheap cables and cable converters shown in the illustrations are pretty naff and I agree, probably best avoided.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:48 am 
Rock Star

KG wrote:
HDMI audio outputs a digital signal which needs external conversion from digital to analogue to work with an analogue amplifier and that is where it falls down for this particular application. SCART produces a stereo analogue signal which requires no conversion - merely a suitable connecting cable. However both methods work. The switches - particularly on the cheap cables and cable converters shown in the illustrations are pretty naff and I agree, probably best avoided.

Thanks again KG, most helpful.
Amos.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:16 am 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
... I suggested the HDMI to RCA as it is a higher quality signal than SCART.

Personally I also avoid converters with physical switches on, as it is just something else to fail. Just my personal choice though.

it could be, if you will not convert the audio signal from digital form [HDMI] to analog [RCA] eg will force down the fidelity during _downconversion_ (I mention above, the digital audio via HDMI could be better then digitized stereo - like DD5.1)

Last edited by Sergio on Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:27 am 
Rock Star

I have found a suitable cable, SCART>< x6 RCA.
From Stephanis store, Product Code VIC085 €6.00 On-line delivered to my local ACS Agent.
Just the job!
Thanks all who helped me,
Amos.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body