Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Android & Kodi ...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:30 am 
Graduate

For those of us who use Android TV boxes, there is always the presence of Kodi (which currently is at version 16.1, although 17 is on the horizon). One of the problems with Kodi is that the developer responsible for Android development (known as Koying) left the Kodi Foundation as a result of a disagreement. It's fair to say that egos are somewhat fragile amongst the developers. So Android users faced the problem that their operating system was not going to be developed in future.

However, as I recently discovered, Koying has produced his own version of Kodi - and only for Android users. It is called SPMC and is available from the Google Playstore. A number of people on various Android forums were extolling this, and saying that their IPTV experience was dramatically improved.

So I installed SPMC a few days ago, and found its appearance identical to Kodi 16.1 (once you change the skin back to Confluence) but the speed and flexibility of SPMC is quite dramatic. Having played with this I am pretty convinced that - for this Android user - this is the way forward. In fact, this morning I wiped Kodi off my box (you can have both on your box at the same time) and the end result is a much faster, smoother operation and increased reliability.

This may be old news for some or most of you, but it was new to me and so I thought I would share my findings.

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you. (Ovid)

Post subject: Re: Android & Kodi ...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:01 pm 

droidbox t8 model, with 32gb storage, you can install their own version of kodi (dbmc) droidbox media centre, or spmc Semper Media Center, or original kodi, all three versions work well with this box.
yes, koying has been absent from kodi a while now.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body