Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Computer SOS
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:16 pm 
Graduate

I have seen people praising Brian at Computer SOS, and have done so before for the excellent level of service he gives. Talk about going the extra mile ...

We bought an Android box (Minix Neo X5 Mini) about three years ago from him and it has given outstanding service. But yesterday, when I switched it on, it would just not play. I did my research and, even went on to the Minix forum, but nothing I did would make it work. We even unearthed our DVD player from the cupboard and watched a film to ensure it was not the TV.

I narrowed it down to either a problem with the box, or - an outside possibility, the HDMI cable - but that was as far as I got. I emailed Brian on Sunday evening, and he had replied by the time I had woken up this morning. We exchanged emails but he could not diagnose what was wrong. A trip to Chlorakas beckoned in this lovely weather and so off I went.

Brian's shop was quiet and said he would have a look whilst I was there. Well he looked and looked and looked, and the box would not succumb to his usual ministrations. And then, a chance manoeuvre and my box sprang into life. Actually that was an exaggeration. The green Android symbol was on its side and not looking well.

From then it was a matter of completly wiping the box, and all its data, and Brian then started to ask me what addons I had on it. I do believe he would then have downloaded and reinstalled all that was there. I would not let him, as this was something I could happily do. And then I asked him how much I owed him. He had been working on my box for about an hour and a half. "Free of charge" was the response. I tried to persuade him but he was adamant. If he had not spent all that time on my box, he would have had to sell me another on ... no doubt faster, and better, and more expensive.

Brilliant service and I just felt I should just let you all know what had happened. The upside ... I did not reinstall all my accumulated addons (not necessary) and my box is flying.

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you. (Ovid)

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body