Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broadband upstairs!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:07 pm 
Graduate

Hi help please,I live in a 3 storey townhouse and want broadband on the top floor.The modem is on the ground floor by the tv,wifi wasnt any good even on the middle floor so we had a direct cable run from the modem to the second floor so my daughter has it in her room.
Now its a long way to do the same again to the top floor,so any easier ways do achive this?approx costs?
Many thanks B

Post subject: Re: Broadband upstairs!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:10 pm 
Forum Admin

you could try a TP link , through your sockets ??

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:48 pm 
Star

Yes, buy a TP Link set (base unit plus 1or 2 "slave" units).

Plug base unit into wall socket near your router, cable from router to TP link base unit; plug other TP link "slaves" into other rooms in your house, provided on same internal wiring.

You can choose wireless slave units, which means you don't need cables from slave unit to computer, allows smart phone to connect to internet when you are in a different room to router.

Check out Amazon and read the reviews. You might need the "pass through" base unit if you are short of sockets near your router.

They've solved all my problems in Cyprus.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:55 pm 

keving wrote:
Yes, buy a TP Link set (base unit plus 1or 2 "slave" units).

Plug base unit into wall socket near your router, cable from router to TP link base unit; plug other TP link "slaves" into other rooms in your house, provided on same internal wiring.

You can choose wireless slave units, which means you don't need cables from slave unit to computer, allows smart phone to connect to internet when you are in a different room to router.

Check out Amazon and read the reviews. You might need the "pass through" base unit if you are short of sockets near your router.

They've solved all my problems in Cyprus.

Yup, that's what you want. They're also called homeplugs (all one word).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:09 am 
Star

It's not just upstairs or downstairs where these things are useful.

I brought out another slave unit last Friday to plug in the kitchen where I wasn't getting a connection on my phone or laptop because of the concrete walls between the router and the kitchen.

The socket in the kitchen is 4ft from the patio window, which means for the first time ever I can even get a strong internet connection when sitting outside the house. This is transformational! I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier; to sit in the sun and surf the internet is brilliant!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:42 am 
Graduate

Thanks relpys,do these units give a good solid connectio?as it will be used for work and cant keep going on/off,sounds good.
Many thanks B

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm 
Rock Star

I have been using them since we arrived in Cyprus,extremely reliable and easy to use....but as already mentioned the mains sockets do need to on the same ring main...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:07 pm 
Graduate

Hudswell wrote:
I have been using them since we arrived in Cyprus,extremely reliable and easy to use....but as already mentioned the mains sockets do need to on the same ring main...

Hi thanks for the info,silly question how do I know if its on the same ring main?
Thanks B

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:22 pm 
Top of the pops

Bertie wrote:
Hudswell wrote:

Hi thanks for the info,silly question how do I know if its on the same ring main?
Thanks B

simple way of finding out is to switch something (Lamps)into the sockets you want to use in conjunction,then switch off the fuse switch,if they all go out then it is on the same ring.
A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:40 pm 
Graduate

beverley wrote:
Bertie wrote:
Hudswell wrote:

Thanks B

simple way of finding out is to switch something (Lamps)into the sockets you want to use in conjunction,then switch off the fuse switch,if they all go out then it is on the same ring.
A

Thanks ,in my 3 storey house I have a consumer unit with trip switches on each floor(3).Would this make a difference?
I do have a telephone point in the bedroom ,can I just plug another modem in?If so would it just work or does it involve a load of tech stuff! As you may of guessed not my strong point.
Many thanks B

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:21 pm 
Rock Star

Can you tell us where you are in Paphos please.

We have ran a 18 meter network cable through the telephone pipes so as to get the network upstairs.

This removes the problem of wireless for the main computer.

Depending on the room and the pipes in the house you may be able to run a network cable like we did.

If the pipe is from the ground floor to the top floor vertical then no problem, it is when they snake all over the house you can get problems.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:00 pm 
Idol

I wish I knew what everyone was talking about!

I have one room too far away from the wifi. This gizmo you are all talking about, a TP Link, is it something that simply needs to be plugged in near the modem and then something else plugged in in the room? Is it as simple as that or is some wiring involved? If it is that simple, could a kind person please give me a link to what I need to purchase from Amazon so hopefully I can plug and play.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:12 pm 
Top of the pops

Tarrah wrote:
I wish I knew what everyone was talking about!

I have one room too far away from the wifi. This gizmo you are all talking about, a TP Link, is it something that simply needs to be plugged in near the modem and then something else plugged in in the room? Is it as simple as that or is some wiring involved? If it is that simple, could a kind person please give me a link to what I need to purchase from Amazon so hopefully I can plug and play.

Thank you.

You need something like this :-

http://www.devolo.com/

I think they will sell similar at Computer SOS in Chlorakas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:34 am 
Graduate

Hi thanks to all,now sorted cheers B

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body