Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:27 pm 
Graduate

Electronic Program Guide for XBMC
by MacManiac » 11 Apr 2014 15:23

I can't see whether this has been mentioned before but one of the comments/complaints people make is the difficulty in using XBMC to watch live television. My wife is slowly getting used to finding FilmOn and ExPat TV and then finding the channels to watch. It seems to be not very intuitive.

However I found a free EPG which enables all live, streamed TV channels to be watched at the click of a button, and even provides a programme synopsis for all channels. It reminds me of the EPG on Sky we used in the UK. It's fast and flexible, and very intuitive. I was in touch with the developer recently and a new version is just about to be launched, with possibly built-in VPN, and the ability to record using a PVR, along with other unspecified goodies.

The world of Android and XBMC is very new to me (being a lifelong Apple user) but I have to say I am very impressed with the pure functionality of these boxes. I use a Minix Neo X5 Mini, supplied by Computer S.O.S. in Chlorakas, and it handles the EPG easily.

The EPG is called TVGuide Dixie and all the details can be found here:

http://www.mashupxbmc.com/features/tv-guide-dixie/

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you. (Ovid)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:18 pm 

TV Guide Dixie would be awesome if it was free, does it integrate with other services like ntv?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:32 pm 
Graduate

Yes, it does, although it is now called OnTapp.TV. We subscribe to NTV and it just works. For about £18.00 a year for the EPG I think it is a brilliant deal. Rich, the developer, seems to be online 24/7 and responds very quickly to any hiccups. Team this with SuperFavourites (developed by his friend, Spoyser, and which is free) and all your tv, films and recordings live in the same place. We use literally nothing else.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:49 am 

Mac, I do the same thing. It is especially good for Scandinavians with British connections cause it's the only service I've found that has Scandinavian channels. I went ahead and subscribed to the Ontapp service cause it's just so damn pretty. For anybody curious there is an NTV Review with screenshots of the quality, Mag 250 and Xbmc plugin.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:10 am 
Graduate

MacManiac wrote:
Yes, it does, although it is now called OnTapp.TV. We subscribe to NTV and it just works. For about £18.00 a year for the EPG I think it is a brilliant deal. Rich, the developer, seems to be online 24/7 and responds very quickly to any hiccups. Team this with SuperFavourites (developed by his friend, Spoyser, and which is free) and all your tv, films and recordings live in the same place. We use literally nothing else.

I should just add that the website is http://www.on-tapp.tv

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body