Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:54 am 

Evening all.

I'm a little perplexed and wondered if anyone can help.

It'll be getting too cold to sit out on the balcony soon and this is where I'm running into a little problem. We get our internet via a 'red wifi' hotspot which we subscribe to. It's been fine while sitting outside with good speed but we'll be going inside very soon and the signal inside is next to nothing. I've checked the signal with an outdoor antenna and it's great.

The problem is we'll only be able to plug it into one laptop at once.

Is there any way I can get the signal from an outdoor antenna (which I've already got off a friend) and direct it to a router in our apartment which we can then transmit around the apartment???

I've seen loads of internet links to using an outer signal to boost your wifi signal from your router to the end of the garden or by the pool but nothing the other way round...the signal actually coming from the antenna into the router.

Can anyone help??

Thanks folks,
Adam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:16 am 
Junior

Thesper wrote:
Evening all.

I'm a little perplexed and wondered if anyone can help.

It'll be getting too cold to sit out on the balcony soon and this is where I'm running into a little problem. We get our internet via a 'red wifi' hotspot which we subscribe to. It's been fine while sitting outside with good speed but we'll be going inside very soon and the signal inside is next to nothing. I've checked the signal with an outdoor antenna and it's great.

The problem is we'll only be able to plug it into one laptop at once.

Is there any way I can get the signal from an outdoor antenna (which I've already got off a friend) and direct it to a router in our apartment which we can then transmit around the apartment???

I've seen loads of internet links to using an outer signal to boost your wifi signal from your router to the end of the garden or by the pool but nothing the other way round...the signal actually coming from the antenna into the router.

Can anyone help??

Thanks folks,
Adam

Ok, depending on what version of windows you are using, you can create a personal wifi hotspot through the one laptop (with external antenna) and connect to there with your other devices.

There is a lot out there. Google "personal hotspot windows vista/7/8/xp" obviously use the relevant windows version for your search. Download, install and go from there. This will be ok for surfing generally but really that will be its limit.

Without a hard wired install, this will be your best bet.

HTH

Jon

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body