Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:12 pm 
Rock Star

To Our Moderators of this section. I assume you are experts.

Judge as posted the below in another section.

The Ariane 5 launch with ASTRA 2F and GSAT-10 is set for September 28 - this is the satellite supposedly replacing the one that carried all our UKTV channels - could it be that after next weekend we'll get them back?

Do you know if there are any facts in the post or is it wishful thinking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:19 pm 
Rock Star

There is a good dicussion on this subject on the darker side!

Basically, technology is going Broadband and all satellites will be useless shortly.

Alan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:14 am 
Forum Admin

I heard they are going to be puttin up sats to take place of the the old sky ones , but
was told it will be a couple of years ,, but it was onlt hear-say .. ??
anyone know anything ??

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:14 am 

Astra 2F is one of the Astra Communications Satellites owned and operated by SES, to be launched in September 2012 to the Astra 28.2°E orbital slot. The satellite will provide free to air and encrypted direct-to-home (DTH) digital TV and satellite broadband services for Europe and Africa.
Astra 2F is the first of three ‘second generation’ satellites for the 28.2°E position which will replace the first generation Astra 2A, Astra 2B craft currently there and it will be joined in orbit by Astraa 2E and Astra 2G in 2013 and 2014, respectively
A few weeks ago, some ITV1 channels changed satellites and so their reception in fringe areas of the signal has been made worse
In the past couple of weeks, most of the other ITV1 regions, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 channels also moved from Astra 2D to Astra 1N. As did channels operated by Channel 4: E4, More4, Film4.
As Astra 1N has a tighter footprint than Astra 2D, this has meant that many people in fringe reception areas like Greece and Cyprus have been unable to receive these channels.

As you can see from the picture, the ‘Pan-European footprint’ suggests that we will not receive UK TV in Cyprus from this satellite
Attachment:
ASTRA_2F_europe_ku_band_beam.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:32 am 
Top of the pops

Good post MAD

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:23 am 

Will just stick to the d o w n lo a d sites then - they've served us well enough with the UK tv we want to watch for the last 5yrs or so.

Never had Sky service since we came to Cyprus over 8yrs ago. We did try the Hotbird for a while for the BBC Prime and then later moved to an Arab sat on an outdated showtime package but sacked that almost 12 months ago.

I've been getting dl programmes since around 2007 and sometimes use the iPlayer sites. We watch tv for a couple of hours each evening and now have the tv package that comes with Primetel. So we can have the main news channels to catch up in the early evening or in the day if we're at home.

We probably watch a bit more tv in the winter but have found we don't need masses of tv channels any more.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body