Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Computer problem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:21 pm 
Idol

I am using Windows Vista on my laptop. It regularly crashes on me, every day last week and only once this week (this morning). I had IT man look at it and he is unable to locate problem. I don't want to send it back to DELL as I can't manage without. Is anyone else on here using Vista and have you had problems?

[What if the Hokey cokey is what it's all about

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:32 pm 
Hi Bev,

I'll move this post into our 'Gadget' section, that way, our IT Guru will be able to assist you :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:49 pm 
Top of the pops

Im using Vista Business on a laptop and it is rock solid - very happy with it. Use XP Pro on a desktop PC and that is also rock solid.

There isn't much to go on here ... very open !

Can you give more details on the crash ?
Did it crash from day one ?
Or from when new hardware/software was introduced ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:03 pm 
Idol

Hi

crashed occasionally from day one. But last week 7 times and only once so fa this week although it froze once this week and I had to reboot but that is unusual. Sometimes when it crashes the screen goes blank(looks like it is off) but mostly I get very pretty vertical lines right across the screen. I am networked at work and no one else is having probs. Our IT guy looked at it and shrugged :shock: hope this helps one last thing ost often when it is about to go the mouse freeze, screen flickers then pow! but today no warning and only grey screen. My OH downloaded a video driver screen for me last weekend and up until this morning all ok then it went again. Any help much appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:22 pm 
To be honest this sounds very similar to the problem I was having with my PC last month, I finally found out it was the RAM :shock: so I changed the RAM & everything is working fine now :D :D

All I can say is, if your IT guy just shrugged when he looked at it, I'd get someone who knew about IT to do his job :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:29 pm 
Idol

he is polish and I think there may have been a communication breakdown and needless to say it didn't happen when he was there so I could visually dmonstrate the problem. I am not powerful or should I say high enough to have say in what IT guy they send and in fairness to him he is usually ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:18 pm 

Hi Artemis

As big Dutch says, it's a very open description that you've given.

Does anything trigger this "Crash"? Does it crash in the same way all the time? Does it freeze, does it do anything else?

Can you press Ctrl Alt and Delete to get to task manager when it crashes?

I'm using both windows xp and windows vista (dual boot on this system). And whilst I'm not the world's biggest fan of Vista, since installing it, it's been very very stable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:42 pm 
Idol

There is no pattern.
Sometimes the screen gives a small flicker but not always. I cannot get back in to task manager and always have to reboot. Usually freezes a second before it goes but then again not always. Can't even say it is when certain programme/s open as is not. i am really giving you all info I have there just does not seem to be a pattern of any kind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 pm 
Bev,

When you reboot, does it allow you to go into safe mode at all :?

Have you tried changing your confiruration to an earlier point by using 'restore' at all :?

Have you checked the battery connections just incase the battery is not seated properly :?

As the screen been mishandled at all :? as some of the symtoms you've described sound like a bad connection between the screen & keyboard sections of the laptop, normally caused if the screen has been bent to far over or dropped :shock:

Just a few things to try to see if anything happens when you're testing them :lol:

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body