Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SKY TV
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:33 pm 

Hi Everyone,

Another problem!!!!!

We've recently moved up to Peyia and are having awful trouble with our satellite TV (Sky).

Is this common in this area? As when we were down at Yeroskipou with a 2.7m dish, the signal was almost perfect. Up here, we have a 3m dish and we lose signal every day!!! :(

Any advice to improve our current set-up, or recommendations of any other supplier would be appreciated!

I have no idea what's going on in Eastenders any more!!!! :lol:

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:37 pm 
Top of the pops

Obviously the weather at the moment has some impact. we have a 2.7m dish and everytime before rain comes we totally lose BBCx/ITVx for short periods ... Five's are fine. Must be sending satellite dependent eh ?

Have you had a sat engineer around to do the business ? with 3m i'd expect great reception ... ours is pretty good on 2.7m

Have you changed digibox as well as dish ?

Eastenders - Den is dead !! Grant has gone ! Phil is on/off the juice ! Bradley is being chased by his ex-missus ! Tanya is going to court against Max !

Post subject: Future Eastenders
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:50 pm 
Top of the pops

Thursday February 14,
Tanya can't hold her composure when Max taunts her during the first divorce hearing.

Friday Feb 15,
At the Doctor Who convention, Stacey tries her hardest in an attempt to reconcile with Bradley - but can he bring himself to forgive her?

Monday Feb 18,
Clare turns her attentions to Ian after being shunned by Max, while Sean dumps Tanya, who turns to drink

Tuesday Feb 19
Jack's determined to discover who trashed his flat and he's pointing the finger of blame in more than one direction.

Thursday Feb 21
It's Tanya's birthday and she decides to celebrate, in tonight's visit to Albert Square. However, Max uses the opportunity to spike Tanya's drink.

Friday Feb 22
Ian evicts Jase in favour of Christian and Dawn's more than willing to come to his rescue...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:57 pm 

OOOOOOOoooohhhhhhhhhhh DEN'S DEAD?! lol

Thanks for the update guys!!!!!

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:09 pm 

I have a 2.7m dish in Peyia and there is no problem with reception. Quite a common problem are spiders in your LNB ( the thing on the end of the stick ). If the dish is easily accesable its worth using a small paintbrush to check if there is anything in the LNB. Hope this makes sense.

terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:28 pm 
Can you tell me where the location of your dish is, is it near overhead electrical cable, or is there any buildings which maybe blocking your signal, as I have a 3m dish in Tsada with both the above & I lose a lot of signal because of this :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:03 pm 

Hmmm, good advice guys, thanks! Not sure I wanna go looking for spiders, i'll send Hubby to do that!

And yes Pete, there are cables running almost in front of the dish, so perhaps that is causing a problem! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:40 pm 
It could be, if they are close enough as they cause a static discharge which destables the signal to the LNB or so I've been told, not sure how much of it is true :roll:

Post subject: Re: SKY TV
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:00 pm 
Does anyone know of anywhere using wifi on the Sky signal as my Sky is breaking up all the time these days, I've no cables or buildings in front of my dish, just clean air but I'm still getting a crap reception :roll:

I've got a 3m dish with a new quad LNB & Sky+ box with new cables, so the equipment is sound, the only other thing it could be is interference from some wifi system, anyone know of anything :?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:11 pm 
Top of the pops

I think the frequencies of the Astra satellites are 10-13 Ghz. SOHO wireless lan will be 2.5Ghz. I researched Holitec's service and i think it is line of sight only at circa 5Ghz. To get the signal into the LNB would, to my logic, require it to bounce off the dish which would mean the transmitter would be line of sight of the dish and if not immediately local are there others nearby being affected ? What makes you think of wireless signal being the problem ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:42 pm 
I can't see anything that would be blocking or interferring with the dish as I said, it points into clear sky, no tree's, buildings, elec cables etc, so the only other reason could be wifi or some other sort of digital/analogue signal :?

No idea if anyone else is having a problem as not many dishes in my area that I know of, the other reason I mentioned wifi was because my Sat installer came back to have a look after I complained & they couldn't find a reason why it wasn't getting a brilliant signal, it confused them as well :shock:

As I get a weak if any signal for Sky2/3, my Sky Sports News & Sky Sports Extra was having loads of breakup & I can only get the the mahority of movie channels between 6-8pm our time or after midnight :?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:53 am 
Regular

Hi Pete,

WIFI should not cause any interference, it works at about 5.7GHZ. We have installed receivers next to a dish with no problems. If your installer says that the signal at the dish is good, try changing the cable out - it could be damaged somewhere in the conduit, or could be a poor quality cable.

Digby

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:51 pm 
Cheers Digby, I'll have a word with them but as my cabling is across the back garden under the 5 ton of gravel, I don't know how they would change it :roll:

Why haven't Sky or anyone else come up with a wireless system yet :? you know like, you connect a wireless antenna to your LNB & one to the back of your sky box which only tune into each other, that way you'd have no cables :D

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body