Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Databases
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:00 am 
Top of the pops

Is there a difference in a database designed for a web site to an ordinary Excel database?

Reason I ask is have been told that it will cost CYP1,200 for it to be made up and that seems pretty pricey to me and we will have to do without it for what I wanted.

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:46 am 
Top of the pops

Large Companies usually get specially designed databases which are much more involved than just an Excel data base.

Treat others as you want to be treated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:55 am 
Top of the pops

I write and run databases and yes there can be a huge difference between a "database" and an Excel spreadsheet.

PP forum runs on a database with 15(ish) tables holding all sorts of data one for users, one for sections, one for each thread etc etc. Then each table in the database can be linked together through a relationship which then allows the data contained to be displayed on screen or manipulated in many ways.

My own website also runs fully on a database and the benefits of database driven "dynamic" website are normally to allow for growth of the site and ease of updating the content by non-web savvy people.

The way a "database" is designed is key to its success but without knowing what you have been quoted on, its hard to say if that quote is high or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:12 pm 
Top of the pops

Thanks for replies guys.

Back to the drawing board then - there I was thinking we would have a website one above (well for the time being until someone copies it), but looks like it will be beyond us.

Bigdutch - will pm you and give you an idea of what I was looking for as I don't want to publisize it. :lol:

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:48 pm 
Top of the pops

Candy. First off i`m not a web-developer but i would certainly look elsewhere as i`m sure you could get a site for far less. The problem is that its all in the details. One mans website could be 5 pages, another 15 pages another 500 pages driven by a database which populates the same page but with different data from the list. So three different sites for the same money ...

Get onto Captain Fantastic (mydreamdesigns) and see what they can do for you. Just try to give a detailed specification on what/how you want it to work !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:57 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi trish

You may want to look at sit ebelowto create your own.

http://newaccounts.freewebs.com/?refere ... %20Website

frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:02 pm 
Top of the pops

Just to let you know that I would support mydreamdesign but unfortunately I paid for a web site to be built last year and the money went to help the updating of the children's ward at the General Hospital.

I am being told that minimum price for a database into the website would be CYP1,200 which I think is extortionate, so I will have to try and do a bit of research myself and see if I can do it. :lol:

Thanks Frank as well, although I do not think it is what I want will look into it further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:10 pm 
Top of the pops

Maybe get the site you are owed as a profile site that promotes everything about your product. The database section could be added at a later date. That way you get what is owed to you now and can start using it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:45 am 
Top of the pops

BD

That is what I am planning to do, also have done some research and need to do a bit more as there are programmes I could buy and do it all in Excel (not that I am brilliant at it) then it converts it for the web.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:07 am 
Top of the pops

My employers first site we uploaded Excel files which the site was programmed to read the data from and converted into something much prettier & functional when on screen so of course that is possible, but a DIY package for someone new to site design and building may well end up not to the quality of finish you had hoped for.

Regarding the site that the company will give you as a prize, make sure they register the site domain name in YOUR name not in theirs and that they provide you with the "FTP Logon Details" so you can then engage another designer at a later date to integrate the database section you want.

In my opinion it will take a lot of time and effort to get a half-decent DIY website up and running and many things you try will not work first time and if your experience is anything like mine or people i know it can be VERY VERY frustrating ... :) Even if the content is exactly what you want the way the site looks and operates may still turn people away before they have been sold your product ! I don't mean to put you off, just be prepared to work bloody hard !!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body