Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:51 am

Watch Live Sport-channels Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steven Gerrard
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:13 am 
Top of the pops

Steven Gerrard has signed a new £25million four-year contract.
The Anfield skipper agreed improved terms of around £125,000 a week in April and finally put his name to the deal after returning from holiday and joining his team-mates at Liverpool's Melwood training ground.
Great news for us Scousers!. Now heres hoping we can do better in league next season. :celeb2

Post subject: Re: Steven Gerrard
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:21 am 
Top of the pops

Although I myself would have to take a pay cut to afford to live on the £125,000. Dont you think that the money involved in top level football has now become absolutely astronomical and obscene. With the lack of real viewing choice and money coming from TV, it could almost be seen as a form of extortion.

Is SG worth 125k?
Is anyone worth 125k?

Couldnt that money be better spent and redistributed?

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:30 am 
Top of the pops

Totally agree with you Tanny. I do think its disgusting, but what can you do?. Football is now just one big money making and spending machine.
It must be difficult to live on such a pittance, I wonder how they manage!.
Money like that wlould be very well served if put into grass roots footy, where it surely must be needed. Alas I can't see that happening at all. Although to help out I would be quite happy to run on the pitch with a sponge, or help out with the after match baths, perhaps I could be the soap?. :smilielol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:44 am 
Top of the pops

Tallulah,

2 Nuns in the bath, first says "wares the soap"
the second says "MMmmmm it does doesnt it" :D

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:03 am 
Web-Site Admin

Hopefully this means he can afford to give up the acting lessons and stop trying to win an oscar for his on-pitch theatrics...

Good player, but he gets away with murder with some of his diving and over the top tackles!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:32 am 
Top of the pops

Football is entertainment, we watch it and 'get away' for a couple of hours enough of 'us' are willing to pay the premium to watch it on the TV around the world so whilst people will pay, the TV stations will charge us, the leagues will charge them and the players will charge their teams. Can't see that slowing down, a full stop or implosion maybe. I like watching football but just not prepared to pay the TV subscription for the odd game i will watch.

Captain Fantastic wrote:
..Good player, but he gets away with murder with some of his diving and over the top tackles!
Thought you were talking about Gotannatog there

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:34 am 
Graduate

BigDutch wrote:

Captain Fantastic wrote:
..Good player, but he gets away with murder with some of his diving and over the top tackles!
Thought you were talking about Gotannatog there

GASP!!! Moi?
I can't help it if players have to intentionally leave a leg in to stop me from completing what would undoubtedly end up being a fantastic run towards goal.

Anyway, I'm light boned. It's not my fault.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:13 pm 
Web-Site Admin

Looking a bit dicey for good old "Stevie G" just now - the CCTV footage of him giving that DJ a good shoeing is pretty damning...

Wonder if he'll receive the same treatment from the FA as a certain Mr Barton if he's found guilty?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:34 pm 
Star

Gotannatog wrote:
GASP!!! Moi?
I can't help it if players have to intentionally leave a leg in to stop me from completing what would undoubtedly end up being a fantastic run towards goal.

Anyway, I'm light boned. It's not my fault.

You go down quicker than a hooker on a promise! Honestly, I think I farted once and you did a 10 barrell stunt roll!! :lol: :lol:

Captain Fantastic wrote:
Looking a bit dicey for good old "Stevie G" just now - the CCTV footage of him giving that DJ a good shoeing is pretty damning...

Wonder if he'll receive the same treatment from the FA as a certain Mr Barton if he's found guilty?

He is a role model, sure he has been unfortunate that his life in the public eye has highlighted the incident (as apose to any other Friday night punch up in many a pub taht would go unpunished) - but I think he needs to be made an example of. I would suggest banning him from the opening game of the season. Not sure where it is, but may be somewhere near White hart Lane...........................

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:27 pm 
Top of the pops

From the video clip should get what the standard punishment if you punch someone ... no more, no less.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:09 pm 
Star

When they dropped the charge from assault to affray, Gerrard seemed to be on a winner.

Makes you wonder - not a good role model, the CCTV images seemed to say it all.

But found not guilty, CPS must be livid.

The poor bugger he hit doesn't even appear to have had any damages awarded to him to pay for his broken teeth.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:00 pm 
Web-Site Admin

Even though everyone knew it was coming, it still shows what a joke the "justice" system can be in the UK.

7 blokes attack 1 bloke - 6 of the attackers are guilty, the rich and famous one is somehow innocent, despite being shown on camera punching him repeatedly. Wonder how different the verdict might have been if held at Manchester or Leeds Courts?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:37 pm 
Star

CF - good post!!

This was never going to be a good trial - too much hype about it before and during. Will his Manager punish him for bringing the game into disrepute or for not being a good role model. I think not.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:52 pm 
Major

The verdict is not great surprise - there is and always has been two shades of Law universally, those for the rich and famous and those for Joey Barton (Thug that he is) or the local Charva. Gerard was Guilty and admitted to throwing 3 punches at 1 guy while his "mates" piled in, yet he is innocent. Give me a break! Remember OJ Simpson? England Player was bound to be found "innocent". What a joke.

If he played for anyone other than one of the top four and/or England he would now be spending time in Jail!

I suggest that we all petition the Attorney General for a review of Sentence.

Comments from non-biased Forum members?

"Be who you are, not what others want you to be"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:39 pm 
Rock Star

I'm non biased and not interested in football in any way. It'd be no use writing to anyone or petitioning anyone because there isn't a sentence to consider. The jury found him not guilty and there it all ends. I am no fan of the jury system which is deemed to be one of the fairest methods in the world but that's another matter. The jury believes that he genuinely thought the bloke was going to hit him so acted in self defence. I'd agree on the face of it that it doesn't look that way to an outsider but I wasn't either on the jury or heard all the evidence. He admitted throwing 3 punches but claims only one of them connected. What I do think is quite ridiculous is that the trial was held in Liverpool. It would have been far better to have held it in an entirely neutral town, somewhere like Stafford.

As for CF's comment though about the British justice system being a joke I'd point him to the case of the Cypriot police beating the 2 students up and getting off with it. Also to my friend who was beat up in January 2007 who had to camp outside the Cypriot High Commission in London for 2 months even to get the case bought to court and has now been going on in court for 7 months without any conclusion. I don't however want this to turn into an argument about Cyprus v UK.

The UK system may be a joke at times but it is streets ahead of many other countries.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:02 pm 
Major

Steven Gerrard should on the evidence shown by CCTV have been convicted. The fact the "Jury" and the "Court" was in Liverpool speaks volumes for the UK Justice system. I repeat if he had been one of the local Charv's he would have been in jail a long timne ago. How come his 4 "assistants" have pleaded guilty to the same charge, yet only one actually hit the guy?

With respect Cuddly1 don't contribute unless you are going to be objective.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:19 pm 
Major

PS Cuddly1 - surprise, surprise - Amy Winehouse has been found "innocent" of assault as well. Common factor - money?

Overpaid arrogant Axxxxxxxs the two of them

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:39 am 
Star

As someone has already said it should never have been held in Liverpool it should have been held in a neutral town and that way the verdict may have been entirely different.

Dear Old Bill Shankly used to say when his team lost 'it was a travesty of justice' the pictures of Gerrard being restrained by a 'mate' show this was another one!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:06 am 
Web-Site Admin

Cuddly1 wrote:
The UK system may be a joke at times but it is streets ahead of many other countries.

Wherever there's people and money you'll have corruption, and 90% of the time it works in favour of the haves over the have-nots. Infuriates me to be honest.

In this particular case, even the judge admitted to having been a VIP guest at Anfield on several occasions, while a quick look at the jury box confirms my worst suspicions:

:wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:32 pm 
Rock Star

Looking Forward9 wrote:
Steven Gerrard should on the evidence shown by CCTV have been convicted. The fact the "Jury" and the "Court" was in Liverpool speaks volumes for the UK Justice system. I repeat if he had been one of the local Charv's he would have been in jail a long timne ago. How come his 4 "assistants" have pleaded guilty to the same charge, yet only one actually hit the guy?

With respect Cuddly1 don't contribute unless you are going to be objective.

Objectivity? OK

You might be showing objectivity if you got your facts right in the first place.

5 others pleaded guilty to affray. 1 other pleaded guilty to threatening behaviour. 1 other hit the guy and in fact threw the first punch but he and another then kicked him. Why they chose to plead guilty I have no idea but it was their choice. They may well have done it out of a sense of loyalty to their friend, misguided or not but I don't know. Pleading guilty thus saving court time takes 25% off the sentence you would normally receive and many feel these are better odds. You are also given an expected sentence if you plead guilty so again they may have thought that was a chance worth taking. Gerrard chose to plead not guilty and take his chances with the jury. That is where you jump in and say of course he was going to be found not guilty by a jury in Liverpool. Is it so inconceivable to you that there may be some Everton fans there? Using your obvious bias, they would automatically find him guilty.

As I have said, I was not there and did not hear the evidence over so cannot and will not make a judgement and even if I did it wouldn't matter. Hey though, they could just have saved everyone's time and asked you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:40 pm 
Major

So Steven Gerrard is Innocent OK? I thought Judges and Jurors were supposed to be unbiased?

Back to my original point - if a local Charva who had no money or was not famous punched a guy three times in the face where would he be now? Two types of Law reign in the UK - the have's and the have nots - pathetic!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:43 pm 
Rock Star

Looking Forward9 wrote:
PS Cuddly1 - surprise, surprise - Amy Winehouse has been found "innocent" of assault as well. Common factor - money?

Overpaid arrogant Axxxxxxxs the two of them

Many people over the age of 40 would never have heard of her. I've heard of her but have no idea of what she does for a living.

If the common factor is money why were;

PRINCESS ANNE
Mike Tyson
Paris Hilton
Naomi Campbell
Jeffrey Archer
Vanilla Ice
Mick Jagger
Ozzy Osbourne
Axl Rose
Christian Slater
Tommy Lee
Eminem
Hugh Grant
Kiefer Sutherland
Keanu Reeves
Lindsay Lohan
Gary Glitter and many many others

all convicted of criminal offences?

Last edited by Cuddly1 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:46 pm 
Rock Star

Looking Forward9 wrote:
So Steven Gerrard is Innocent OK? I thought Judges and Jurors were supposed to be unbiased?

Back to my original point - if a local Charva who had no money or was not famous punched a guy three times in the face where would he be now? Two types of Law reign in the UK - the have's and the have nots - pathetic!

God you do take some getting through to.

One of my main reasons for being against the jury system is that any thicko can be called to do jury service without needing to pass an intelligence test.

Where have I said I think he is either guilty or innocent? Where has the Judge stated his opinion?

I have previously made mention on here of a mad stalker who made an attempt on my life. The police took no action against him and I later found out about his criminal record which was:

6 convictions for ABH
1 Common Assault
3 Breach of the Peace
1 Handling Stolen goods
1 Obstructing Police
1 Breach of Bail

He has never been in prison or even been put on probation. All he has been punished with is fines. At present I have a complaint in at the IPCC about the lack of action by the police. Several women have been murdered after reporting threats to their lives by stalkers to the police and the police have taken no action. I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:42 pm 
Major

Get a life you very studip person. God I hope you are not sitting next to me at the next Forum Dinner!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:52 pm 
Rock Star

Looking Forward9 wrote:
Get a life you very studip person. God I hope you are not sitting next to me at the next Forum Dinner!

Thank you for your well thought out UNBIASED reasoned reply.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:14 pm 
Major

It is my pleasure I assure you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:55 am 
Web-Site Admin

More facts have now come to light about the successful plea of self defence:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:54 am 
Top of the pops

Steven Gerrard was guilty but was found not guilty.
He is a shining example to all young footballers,is his team captain,has lifted the European cup and represented his country with distinction he leads a quiet life but is subject to great provocation and is a great ambassador for the game of football, unlike a comparison made by a half wit earlier.
That comment made by me there will have been embellished by his well paid and best in the business defence team.
The point is money does talk, if you have money you can hire and pay the best in the business and that's what he and others in the money do.
It's gone on for years and will continue to do so.
Matters not where the trial was held.
Get over it.
Gary Haway The Lads. 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:44 pm 
Regular

To the tune of the okey cokey

Your put the right hook in
the right hook out
in out in out you knock the f****r out
you pay the judge and jury and you're not sent down
and that what it's all about
oooooh stevie stevie gerrard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:47 pm 
Star

There will be many more dittys sang at him as he plays this coming season, I wouldn't want to be him!!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body